What do you think Opening Ceremony of Beijing Olympics
Aug 9, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #16 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Garish overkill in my view. Should have spent the money building homes for all the dispossessed senior citizens now wandering the countryside. Completely gross.

I watched for 10 minutes. And politics aside, someone should have tossed out Costas and his gang of babbling idiots. We need commentators for the opening ceremonies? Total joke.

Sure. it's easy to "put on a show" when you have eight years of slave labor and unlimited funds to do it with. In that context, it was no real accomplishment. Just over the top nationalism. Sorry, but China is still China when it comes to human rights.

Dump the opening ceremonies...let the athletes be the focus, not the pyrotechnics.

This thread was about the opening ceremonies themselves; not the political overtones of the Olympics nor the money used to promote them. Regardless of views, it's undeniable that the show was spectacularly choreographed and executed. Overkill? Maybe. But I don't think most were left checking their watches as the 4 hours rolled by; and in that sense alone, it was a success.

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #19 of 89
Yeah cant wait to see the english make a pigs foot of it in 4 years time!!
China gave the performance of a lifetime!!
Home of fireworks !!
Many called it a handing over of power from the old world order(west) to the new world order(east)!!

Aug 9, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #20 of 89
Leave politics aside. Yes, whole world already knows what is going on in China and how it handles things but this thread (and definetly not this forum) is NOT about that. And yes, olympics should be about sports, not flashyness. But also leaving that aside, the ceremony was SPECTACULAR. I mean, it was most amazingly executed show I have ever seen. Especially the drummers at the beginning, and the Taichi ring. And fireworks, China is a father and inventor of fireworks and it shows.
Well, China being probaply oldest civilization of mankind next only to the Egypt so they definetly have a history and culture where to draw ideas, and this combined with near unlimited resources and manpower, its no wonder they could execute something like this. I doubt any other country can make anything this (easily anyway), nor I would expect them to.

Aug 10, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #24 of 89
I caught it at a bar and liked most of it except for the tai chi/globe segments. Does anyone know if the fireworks footprint in the beginning was real or computer animation. I though I heard the announcers say something about CGI but not sure. It was loud in the bar.

Aug 10, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #25 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Overall I liked it but as with all opening ceremonies, without the commentators you would not understand what was going on. Did they really need the "cheerleaders" on the side as the athletes walked in, and what happened to Sarah Brightman's face?

I agree.. Those cheerleaders are kind of pointless....

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #27 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmaneatschild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I caught it at a bar and liked most of it except for the tai chi/globe segments. Does anyone know if the fireworks footprint in the beginning was real or computer animation. I though I heard the announcers say something about CGI but not sure. It was loud in the bar.

The fireworks of footprint was real, that's no doubt.

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #28 of 89
It will take some doing to top such a wonderful event. Thank you China spirit for showing the world your ideas and abilities. You did good.

Aug 10, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #29 of 89
Wow, what is with all the hate? It is about the sport, but the ceremonies are also about the culture and history of the country hosting hosting the Olympics. The Olympics are a huge world tradition dating back forever and only happening every 4 years. What is wrong with a gala celebration and putting on an amazing show?

Aug 10, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #30 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by cnlifeng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The fireworks of footprint was real, that's no doubt.

Real fireworks in the shape of footprints were used during the opening ceremony, but that footage was unaired. Instead they broadcast a carefully choreographed, eminently life-like computer simulation, complete with fog effects and helicopter wobble. For those who can read Chinese, here is the article from none other than Xin Hua.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back