What do you think of this soldering job?
Dec 12, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 85

arnaud

Stax and Sushi
I am looking for opinion from you all in regards to the soldering job that's been done on this HD800 aftermarket cable: HD800 cable pictures by acharpen - Photobucket

At this time, I will keep the name of the builder private as my goal is only to get independent opinion on the quality of the work itself. Personally, to put it mildly, I do not consider this the work of a person who should qualify themselves as cable builder. But, I may be picky, so looking for other opinions.

Second question: do you think this connector can still be considered in perfect condition and worthy of use to make a cable? The reason I am asking this is that the cable maker has refused me to return these connectors (I claimed they were basically ruined) and qualified them as such (I paid him $160 for using these to make the cable).

thanks in advance for any input,
arnaud.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, to put it mildly, I do not consider this the work of a person who should qualify themselves as cable builder. But, I may be picky, so looking for other opinions.

Oh no, you're not being picky at all.

That's just plain unacceptable. Reminds me of some of the jobs I'd seen of guitarists trying to rewire their guitars where it looked like they just dripped solder all over everything and hoped it would stick in the right places.

Quote:

Second question: do you think this connector can still be considered in perfect condition and worthy of use to make a cable?

Nowhere near perfect condition. But perhaps salvageable enough to make a working cable.

se

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #3 of 85
Whoever made that cable should be ashamed, butchery of the highest order. I don't know what recourse you have but I'd want poke him / her in the eye with the iron
very_evil_smiley.gif

With a bit of a clean up, remove the old solder using braid and then properly reterminated they will be ok.

I understand you dilema though but the negatives will probably be in you head; electrically they should be as good as new.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magsy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand you dilema though but the negatives will probably be in you head; electrically they should be as good as new.

Yeah. Kind of like having sex with an otherwise beautiful woman, while all the time knowing that under those socks she's wearing, she has feet that look like they should belong to an amphibian.
atsmile.gif

se

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #10 of 85
I think I know who did those.

I have to repair one of these cables this month when it arrives from overseas in a few days, as the person doesn't have confidence that it can be repaired by the maker.

How much f#(*&#$ heat does it take to melt the PVDF teflon of the Furutech topline XLRs? That insulation is tough as hell. This is a sign that you were using too high of a soldering heat with no flux to try to stick solder to the rhodium.

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 85
whoops

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #13 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it's safe to publish the name as the builder has gone AWOL anyway.

popcorn.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #14 of 85
I think it'd be for the good of everyone if the maker's name was published. I'm willing to bet who it was though, as if you search, you'll probably find a thread about their destruction of connectors through sloppy work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back