What do you miss the most with your headphones compared to LIVE music experience?
Sep 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mr Vibe

New Head-Fier
Just curious 
regular_smile .gif

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 16
The atmosphere. The excitement and expectations of a good time hang so thick in the air you can cut through them with a knife. I prefer some live show recordings I have over the studio version because I believe it captures the energy of the song. In the cases where I have heard the song sung live myself, the above statement almost always holds true.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 16
I usually don't like going to most concerts and prefer music to be a private/intimate experience, but the obvious thing headphones in general lack is a sense of direction other than left/right.

For example, when my friend and I compose together in my home studio we experiment with the acoustics of the room a lot, like playing acoustic guitars facing opposite corners at different heights, etc. Headphones ill never allow you to feel sound waves encircling the room and all of those sonic tricks cease to be audible. It's like looking at a 2-D photo of a sunset instead of seeing the depth with your own eyes. External speakers capture this sporadically/unreliably and headphones basically don't capture it at all.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
The excitement and expectations of a good time hang so thick in the air you can cut through them with a knife. 

That's not excitement, that's smoke man.

But what I like about live shows is the fact that what I'm getting is something unique to that night, something filled with improv that will never be replicated. Especially if it's like an EOTO show where they never play the same song twice.

That and the bass. Can't beat the bass.

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 16
The emotion. Screaming the lyrics to your favorite song and never hearing them as they're drowned out by 10,000 people doing the same. feeling them drowned out by the music. It's cleansing. You get to leave a part of yourself behind, and purify yourself with the music as it penetrates your heart and mind

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
The emotion. Screaming the lyrics to your favorite song and never hearing them as they're drowned out by 10,000 people doing the same. feeling them drowned out by the music. It's cleansing. You get to leave a part of yourself behind, and purify yourself with the music as it penetrates your heart and mind

best description of a concert ive ever heard right there

Sep 17, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #9 of 16
Singing along and screaming "I LOVE YOU" and various band member names until your throat hurts, but don't notice until later. Or having them take notice of sign you made.
Like when I went to the SCANDAL concert last year at AM2 convention. I was in the second row and will never forget it. Then on top of that, getting to meet the band later.

Hell, I flew to California twice just for two concerts featuring Japanese bands. This summer I saw LiSA. (I'm in Louisiana by the way) That's how much it was worth to see them live.

Sep 17, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 16
Going to an EDM concert can make it hard to breath if the sound system is done well and the song is particularly bassy.

With that said, I enjoy relaxed music much more at home where I can lay back and close my eyes. It's really a matter of my mood as to which experience I enjoy more.

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks for your feedbacks, it's refreshing hearing from your live experiences. I think we tend to be too technical sometimes about sound, performance, hardware etc.. And forget  about the sound, the feel that makes us so demanding. Recorded sounds make us experiment the past while live is about the present, when everything is put together to create a collective experience. 

What is your personal relation with the music? Are you a musician that plays in a band/ alone, just a listener, a concert traveller, a sound designer, a recorder...?

I would like to know more about your personal relation with music. What makes it so special to you. 

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #13 of 16
Sep 27, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #14 of 16
The smell of dry ice... don't know why but I've always liked it. Might get a machine for my room :)

Sep 27, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Sub-sonic bass vibrating my body.

Hearing the music in a new and exciting way that is different than the studio album.

Being surrounded with people who are passionate about something I'm passionate about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back