what do you guys think of rap?
Sep 9, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #166 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Eye, What was the last rap song you listened to from beginning to end? Good rap takes talent, that is what everyone here is trying to convince you of. No one disputes your point about most rap being crap(especially whats on the radio).

I mentioned rock musicians who got huge boosts from covering songs (mostly blues) heres a shortlist:
The Beatles
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Beatles
Rolling Stones

You can never convince me of something I never disputed. My original statement to this newly revived thread a few pages back was about how the genre lends itself moreso than any other genre, for the most untalented and dim-witted individuals to infiltrate music. No one can ever convince me otherwise. I've always been a fair guy, and give due where it is warranted. There was never any dispute that the very best rappers have talent and some even write excellent lyrics. A few create original beats. To those, I applaud them for their unique talent. The rap style does not REQUIRE talent, if some have talent, fine, some sure do. Any one, save some choice "vocalists" performing in other forms of music need talent to play that music. Did you happen to catch Jay-Z's live concert on Showtime quite awhile back? There is no talent to lurching around a stage with a mic, uttering gibberish with a gang of similarly untalented men "ugh"-ing and "yeah"-ing every other line. It was even bad for rap standards.

BTW, you mentioned The Beatles twice
tongue.gif
I am not a Beatles fan, so I plead ignorance, what songs did they cover?

Creedence Clearwater Revival covered two songs I know of, both of which were far from their bigger hits. "I Put A Spell On You", which I like, but liked Screamin' Jay's better, and the awful "Heard It Through The Grapevine". Both songs do not rival their biggest hits, "Proud Mary", "Have You Ever Seen The Rain", "Who'll Stop The Rain", "Down On The Corner", etc.

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #167 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Did you happen to catch Jay-Z's live concert on Showtime quite awhile back? There is no talent to lurching around a stage with a mic, uttering gibberish with a gang of similarly untalented men "ugh"-ing and "yeah"-ing every other line. It was even bad for rap standards.

Maybe that is why he is "retiring"
600smile.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 4:49 PM Post #170 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
I would say it is easier to take out "five million" piercings than to change the way one talks from slang to proper English, wouldn't you agree? And if you think that "pierce fetish" people cannot get hired, have you been into a Tower Records, Hot Topic, or (I couldn't believe this one either) Target lately? In all fairness, I believe that lots of piercings makes a person look rediculous, especially those ones that put a hole in your ear lobe.

No, I do it constantly, depending on who I'm talking to. As far as jobs go, okay, you got me there, but I really don't think those qualify for desireable jobs...

Sep 10, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #171 of 175
Half of Please Please Please Me was covers. You forgot CCR's version of Born Under A Bad Sign. I stopped liking Jay-Z after "Who You Wit'". I dont like his delivery or his bling bling message.

Sep 10, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #173 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
No, I do it constantly, depending on who I'm talking to. As far as jobs go, okay, you got me there, but I really don't think those qualify for desireable jobs...

Nah, me neither...
tongue.gif

Sep 10, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #174 of 175
Quote:

I never heard CCR's version of Born Under A Bad Sign. What album was it on?

My bad I was thinking of Cream.

Sep 11, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #175 of 175
Just want to agree with some of the things said.

Yes, most rap is crap (mainstream crap you hear nowadays on the radio) but there are alot of good rappers out there (Nas, Az, Pac, Mobb Deep, ect)
The good rappers have substance in their rap, and actually make you want to decipher what they have to say.

Listen to a song called Nas-I Gave You Power.
This is one of the most creative, clever songs you'll ever hear. I don't think you'll actually like what he's rapping about (gun) but it's so creative, you won't even care. Try it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back