what do you guys think of rap?
Mar 22, 2004 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 175

phkd

100+ Head-Fier
so far no one here has mentioned any rap here, is it banned or something haha? i know you don't need fancy headphones for it, but something with bass is key. is there anyone here who can recommend some phones for rap? i mean im not well-off enough to get a different pair of headphones for each genre of music, but i was just wonderin.

well whatever. thanks in advance
-AJ

Mar 22, 2004 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 175
Rap probably doesn't get mentioned as much around here because you don't exactly need a killer setup in order to get the most out of a rap song. Whereas classical, jazz, and even some more sophisticated rock and pop music can really benefit from better equipment, I think that rap tends to be more based on the flow of the rapper and his/her rhymes rather than any intricacies in the production.

Of course this is changing, as there are some pretty amazing producers (Neptunes, Timbaland, etc.) who are working with some pretty mainstream rappers. Plenty of good underground artists as well.

If you're looking for headphones for listening to rap, post in the "headphone" section. All the head-fi hip hop lovers will come crawling out, so you might get a response or two!

~Jordan

Mar 22, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #3 of 175
I would think beyer 770s would be the phone of choice for rap. GOBs of really punchy bass!
basshead.gif

As for what I think of rap, I'd say its a guilty pleasure, like bass boost
biggrin.gif
Being a college student, I tend to like the club-oriented hip hop that's good to drive to. Not too taxing on the brain, and lots of fun
600smile.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 175
Rap's cool (sometimes). I like a lot of 80's oldskool stuff, and some of the stuff just into the 90's (up to about '93)... after that I quit following the progress of most forms of music.

Mar 22, 2004 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 175
You can't have crap without rap.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #10 of 175
Quote:

Originally posted by DLP
I enjoy rap/hip hop music a lot, it's probably my main genre of music. I definitely avoid 99% of what you hear on the radio like the plague though.

I agree. Commercial, "bling bling" hip-hop is complete garbage. People hear this trash on the radio and assume it's representative of all hip-hop.

Mar 22, 2004 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 175
Quote:

Originally posted by GuineaMcPig
Of course this is changing, as there are some pretty amazing producers (Neptunes, Timbaland, etc.) who are working with some pretty mainstream rappers. Plenty of good underground artists as well.

100% ACK, you need plenty of oomp in da amp for d'fresh beats by Timbaland - Missy E. on the go + ER-4S and a good amp can be... funky.
etysmile.gif
basshead.gif

Mar 22, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #12 of 175
Quote:

Originally posted by Wmcmanus
You can't have crap without rap.
very_evil_smiley.gif

kick it...

I like country music
I love country girls
I like Willie Nelson
And don't forget about Merele

There's only one thing that I hate,
Cause it's a bunch of crap
IIIIIIII hate rap

I like nascar racing
Richard Petty's still the king
Yeah, they call me a red neck,
But you know that's a beautiful thing

IIIIIIII hate rap

IIIIIIII hate rap

IIIIIIII hate rap

Raaaaaaaaaaaap is crap
Raaaaaaaaaaaap is crap

Mar 22, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 175
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
kick it...

I like country music
I love country girls
I like Willie Nelson
And don't forget about Merele

IIIIIIII hate rap

I like nascar racing
Richard Petty's still the king
Yeah, they call me a red neck,
But you know that's a beautiful thing

IIIIIIII hate rap

IIIIIIII hate rap

IIIIIIII hate rap

Raaaaaaaaaaaap is crap
Raaaaaaaaaaaap is crap

red neck

j/k
tongue.gif

Mar 23, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 175
Most people "undermine" rap because they seem to get a lot of glam and have all the money, in reality, they have far more talent than most pop stars (especially in song-writing) and are more decent people, but it isn't recongized by most fans. I don't like rap, but I respect it, unlike pop music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back