what do you guys think of rap?
Sep 8, 2004 at 9:23 AM Post #137 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
the metals i've heard all yell too loud.

Personal preference, my friend. Nobody is making you like metal. Much like I generalized rap, you did the same to metal. We are both biased, so what? You are happy and so am I. However, if by the off chance you ever want to give metal a try, I have made a little guide for you:

If you want to hear good metal that is not all screaming and is pretty commercial, listen to Disturbed's Believe. If you want more progressive stuff, try A Perfect Circle's The Thirteenth Step or Dream Theater's Awake. If you are very daring, but are open minded and want to be rewarded with music that is both musically genius and complex, try Opeth's Blackwater Park, Still Life, or Deliverance. The last suggestion is definitely an acquired taste, so try before you buy, or you might waste your money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentperfection
This my friends is one of the most hilarious/brilliant things I have ever read on the forums. You had me rolling.

Thanks, I just had to say it. I cannot stand Linkin Park.

Sep 8, 2004 at 10:32 AM Post #138 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by enzoferrari650
Metal is all crap except for linkin park.

Translation:Food is all crap except McDonalds.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 8, 2004 at 3:57 PM Post #140 of 175
If rap/hip hop has one problem (both mainstream and not), it is that a lot of the times the real messages get bogged down in bravado and BS pretentiousness. Even those who have serious topics throw in the occasional song that is just like what Roadtonowhere80 listed a few posts back, sex and parties and being top dog. It can be hard to take seriously when with most any artist you can run into songs like that. Of course, what 90% of you don't realize is there's a good reason for that which has a lot to do with the upbringing of a lot of these guys who were born and raised in a ghetto with little or nothing handed to them. To kids like that, a rich and more importantly, financially secure lifestyle where they can have fun and enjoy themselves and not have to worry about bullets flying through their window for no reason or not having food on the table is the only thing they should strive for. Of course, not all are raised like that, but it's the underlying mentality nonetheless that most of them run on.
However, some of you arguing here take it too seriously, for or against rap. The fact is it's a musical style and a acquired taste, just like anything else. It has it's moments of genius and moments of embarassment. But most must realize to call any genre of music untalented or unmusical because you think you can sum it up in a poor light is just ignorant. No genre can be cut down to a sentence. Take rock music. Many different playing styles, lyrical styles, mixes with different instruments (including turntables for samples and/or just scratching). Anyone care to define rock in a sentence? How about jazz? Classical? Techno? Rap/hiphop (intelligently)?

Sep 8, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #141 of 175
Quote:

But most must realize to call any genre of music untalented or unmusical because you think you can sum it up in a poor light is just ignorant.

Well said!

Sep 8, 2004 at 7:19 PM Post #142 of 175
Ok, I'll rephrase: the rap that is selling the most copies and is making the most attention is a bad influence on the urban population who view the rappers and hip hop artists as role models. Replace "thug life", "pimping hoes", and "bling bling", with "get an education", "get a good job", and "make something of your life", and I would embrace rap as a great outlet for talent and a great source of role models for the ones who need them the most. Sure, rock has its share of nuts, but nobody takes them seriously. I sure as heck am not going to walk down the street with facial paint like Marylin Manson or light myself on fire like the lead for Rammstein. I see people all the time walking down the street wearing "gangsta" clothes and talking like morons. You know what? When they get shot for looking like "thugs", there is an outcry of "he wasn't involved with gangs" or "he was a good kid". Bottom line: it is hard to speak about the "thug life" when big rappers are looking down on the city in their mansions, driving their $80k Escalades.

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:02 PM Post #143 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Well said!

Not when the entire genre of music in question is based off the theft, er, sorry, I mean "sampling" of all other types of genres. There is no clear rap genre, it is a mish-mosh of whatever samples the very talented individuals who partake in this styling choose to steal for their "original song".

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #144 of 175
Quote:

I see people all the time walking down the street wearing "gangsta" clothes and talking like morons.

Ummm, OK. But I've seen plenty of brooding kids in my high school wearing freakish makeup and dressing in black clothes with purple hair. More than those who dress like rap stars.

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #145 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Sure, rock has its share of nuts, but nobody takes them seriously. I sure as heck am not going to walk down the street with facial paint like Marylin Manson or light myself on fire like the lead for Rammstein.

Funny you should pick Marylin Manson as your example. Just because you don't take him seriously doesn't mean others don't.
http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/bowli...nes/manson.htm
Those who choose to blame Manson for the Columbine shootings are about as open minded as those who think the only rap music they've heard is all there is to it. The biggest problem with your argument is you're confusing what you see on TV with the whole scene.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Not when the entire genre of music in question is based off the theft, er, sorry, I mean "sampling" of all other types of genres. There is no clear rap genre, it is a mish-mosh of whatever samples the very talented individuals who partake in this styling choose to steal for their "original song".

I challenge you to tell me where every single rap album stole from. I challenge you to say that Guru's Jazzmatazz with original live playing with jazz musician's stole it's music from. I challenge you to tell me where they stole the music from in the half dozen albums I can think off of the top of my head that attribute a musician in the liner notes for the instrument you hear. I challenge the idea of theft. If something new is created and you aren't listening to just the original song, as well as any samples used are identified as the original performers song, what is stolen?

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #146 of 175
Quote:

Are we talking about rock or rap?

Sep 8, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #147 of 175
A lot of you are talking plain bull. Generalizing and ripping. Rock has its fair share of morons, so trying to tear apart rap because you don't like or understand it isn't fair, especially when most other genres of pop music today sucks worse. I've yet to hear a single outstanding rock album from 2000+, whether it be Metallica, Hives, Rammstein, Manson, NIN, etc. There are some few good ones, the White Stripes being one of them, but even then they aren't exactly top tier bands. Right now, I'll take Eminem over all of them.

Sep 8, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #148 of 175
call it sampling or ripping off - both rap and metal pretty much steal ideas from others now, just some are more obvious than others. - heck they even steal from each other. that argument really doesn't hold water - any tune can have merit whether it steals or invokes prior music - it's probably better off biting something than trying something awful and original anyhow.

but i haven't heard anything original for quite a while, even from my fave bands. it's time for a REAL new breakout artist! and no it's not Chingy or franz ferdinand!

Sep 8, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #149 of 175
I love hip-hop and have been invloved heavily in hip-hop since 1984. I pretty much don't listen to anything else because there is not enough time for me to listen to all of the hip-hop that I want to listen to let alone other genres. I do listen to some old funk, jazz and breaks though. I find that most people's dislike of hip-hop is due to misunderstanding, although I guess we have different tastes as well which confuses the issue. Personally I love it but I don't try and sway anyone towards it unless the like of the sound and the interest to learn more is already there. I don't diss other music either, because everyone has their reasons for liking what they listen to.

Just adding...on the point of originality, I find hip-hop very original, and intelligent too, with new sounds always appearing. You won't find this in the mainstream though.

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #150 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
Nah
tongue.gif

Anyway, lyrics or no, it does not take any special talent to "rap". It is the rapping and sampling part of the equation that has no merit. Some people can read books aloud better than others, doesn't mean that's talent. If you have a few rappers in midst of a cesspool of garbage that can write coherent lyrics, that is where the talent lies, not in the delivery, which is pure, unadulterated junk. Same as black metalers that scream and grunt. The music is complex, and it takes a fine musician to play it, and the lyrics may be excellent, too, but the screaming takes no talent. Sure, not everyone can scream as good as others, still doesn't take talent. Call it a vocal quality if you must.

So if we go by your standard, anyone can act, because after all it's just talking, and they should pay me $20M to act in a movie?!?
eek.gif
Hey that doesn't sound so bad... I'll go with it...
very_evil_smiley.gif

...too bad I have to come back to reality...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back