what do you guys think of rap?
Sep 9, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #151 of 175
Quote:

under the tollbridge

EyeAmEye

Does this mean you're a troll? What you posted was totally idiotic.
I ask again where did Rock and Roll come from? Elvis only got hyped because he was white. He hung out in black joints, got ideas for songs and dance moves and then got promoted to death. A lot of black artists of the era got pushed aside in favor of their white counterparts. Dont talk about stealing when rap artists at least pay royalties for samples.

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #152 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
Ok, I'll rephrase: the rap that is selling the most copies and is making the most attention is a bad influence on the urban population who view the rappers and hip hop artists as role models. Replace "thug life", "pimping hoes", and "bling bling", with "get an education", "get a good job", and "make something of your life", and I would embrace rap as a great outlet for talent and a great source of role models for the ones who need them the most. Sure, rock has its share of nuts, but nobody takes them seriously. I sure as heck am not going to walk down the street with facial paint like Marylin Manson or light myself on fire like the lead for Rammstein. I see people all the time walking down the street wearing "gangsta" clothes and talking like morons. You know what? When they get shot for looking like "thugs", there is an outcry of "he wasn't involved with gangs" or "he was a good kid". Bottom line: it is hard to speak about the "thug life" when big rappers are looking down on the city in their mansions, driving their $80k Escalades.

At least the emphasis is to get paid...
wink.gif
And you're wrong, look at all the knuckle heads running around with 5 million piercings who are too drugged out to hold a job even if they could get a job. Oh wait they can't most places won't hire people with 5 million body piercings. At least the gansta wannabes can pull up their pants and look normal.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #153 of 175
There is a PBS special on the air right now, as we speak, called John Lennon's Jukebox. Its about a portable record player that he took on tour with 40 of his favorite 45's. I just read an article about it. He took some of the openings from some Beatles songs from some of the songs in the jukebox. Talk about a ripoff.

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #154 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
EyeAmEye

Does this mean you're a troll? What you posted was totally idiotic.
I ask again where did Rock and Roll come from? Elvis only got hyped because he was white. He hung out in black joints, got ideas for songs and dance moves and then got promoted to death. A lot of black artists of the era got pushed aside in favor of their white counterparts. Dont talk about stealing when rap artists at least pay royalties for samples.

First things first, you don't like my opinion, good for you.
Second, let's not bring race into this, because it's got nothing to do with it. What the hell does Elvis hanging out in black joints and getting his inspiration from black artists have to do with anything. That post was idiotic, and totally off the point. BTW, I think Elvis stunk.
And rap artists do not pay royalties unless the "sample" is longer than, I believe, 10 seconds. Anything under, it is legal to use sans royalties. Just ask the Police if they allowed P. crapty to sample their song. They didn't, he used it anyway, made a nice piece of change for a dreadful song. Very original.
Again, for the last time, and for those who don't seem to understand plain English, I never said ALL rap artists lack talent, originality, or talent as musicians. So there is no need to single out a few artists and use them as examples, when I can cut and paste a few thousand from any cd website and have a list that will take 4 pages of this thread to finish. Understand, or am I not in touch with my social life? Perhaps I should say it in street lingo.

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:39 AM Post #155 of 175
I ate a burger at McDonald's the other day...

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #156 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLP
I challenge you to tell me where every single rap album stole from. I challenge you to say that Guru's Jazzmatazz with original live playing with jazz musician's stole it's music from. I challenge you to tell me where they stole the music from in the half dozen albums I can think off of the top of my head that attribute a musician in the liner notes for the instrument you hear. I challenge the idea of theft. If something new is created and you aren't listening to just the original song, as well as any samples used are identified as the original performers song, what is stolen?

DLP, the comment is a mass generalization. I have never heard of Guru, nor claim to have. Attributing a musician on liner notes doesn't mean the song is original, it is giving credit to the musician who is performing the piece on that particular recording. It may or may not be an original piece. If it is, then those artists deserve credit for their work, and I applaud the talent it takes to create and play most music. But I say again, the rap genre as a whole relies most heavily on the sampling of non-original material. Moreso than any other other genre.
I have seen alot of posts that confuse sampling and covering. There is a huge difference between the two. I am not condoning bands whose careers are made on covering material, but the difference lies in the crediting of that material. Covering a song is somewhat of a homage to an influencial band or song. Sampling is taking a snippet of a song, looping it to death and constructing a song from that one snippet, and calling it your own. Major difference. If you personally, or anyone else for that matter, do not find anything wrong with that, fine, you have your opinion, as do I.

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #158 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
So if we go by your standard, anyone can act, because after all it's just talking, and they should pay me $20M to act in a movie?!?
eek.gif
Hey that doesn't sound so bad... I'll go with it...
very_evil_smiley.gif

...too bad I have to come back to reality...
rolleyes.gif

Stallone, Van Damme, Jet Li, Segal, DMX, Cindy Crawford, The Rock, Sugar Ray Leonard, Howie Long, Ice Cube, Joe Namath, Nicholas Cage, the current governor of California (not even going to attempt to spell his last name), George Foreman, Jim Brown

Still think anyone can't act?
wink.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #160 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilson
A lot of you are talking plain bull. Generalizing and ripping. Rock has its fair share of morons, so trying to tear apart rap because you don't like or understand it isn't fair, especially when most other genres of pop music today sucks worse. I've yet to hear a single outstanding rock album from 2000+, whether it be Metallica, Hives, Rammstein, Manson, NIN, etc. There are some few good ones, the White Stripes being one of them, but even then they aren't exactly top tier bands. Right now, I'll take Eminem over all of them.

That is your opinion, one you are certainly entitled to. I will be the first one to blast pop music. It is NOT music for the popular culture, it's absolute garbage made to line the pockets of the record industry. Who is to blame? The people who produce the music and the people who buy it. Who suffers? People with real taste in music. Unfortunately, you fell into the hypocracy of your own statements. You started out saying that people are generalizing rap, then you generalized post-millennium rock. The problem with this time period of rock is that you have to actually turn off MTV and do some research online. The best rock is the stuff that is NOT popular right now, which I am pretty sure that you will say to me about rap, which is fine. Music preferences are subjective.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
At least the emphasis is to get paid...
wink.gif
And you're wrong, look at all the knuckle heads running around with 5 million piercings who are too drugged out to hold a job even if they could get a job. Oh wait they can't most places won't hire people with 5 million body piercings. At least the gansta wannabes can pull up their pants and look normal.
rolleyes.gif

I would say it is easier to take out "five million" piercings than to change the way one talks from slang to proper English, wouldn't you agree? And if you think that "pierce fetish" people cannot get hired, have you been into a Tower Records, Hot Topic, or (I couldn't believe this one either) Target lately? In all fairness, I believe that lots of piercings makes a person look rediculous, especially those ones that put a hole in your ear lobe.

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #161 of 175
Taken from the BBC Radio 2 website after a quick google:

Quote:

The song received a new lease of life when Puff Daddy used it as the basis for his tribute to the Notorious B.I.G entitled "I'll Be Missing You". Sting performed the song with Puff Daddy at the Grammy Awards and it also topped the poll for the Most Performed Work in the 1997 Ivor Novello Awards. Sting was also credited on the record, however Andy Summers, who provided the distinctive guitar riff, received money from the sample being used but didn't receive a writing credit.

I like everything
icon10.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #162 of 175
BTW I HATED THAT PUFF DADDY SONG AND THE WORK HE DID WITH MASE, but some of those songs sure were catchy. I cant stand a lot of the rappers these days but I dont generalize and say they are all a bunch of thieves and they are apart from other musicians in that regard. Just because rock musicians only cover songs and are "influenced" and dont sample doesnt make that any less evil especially when their careers got such a big boost from those covers and influences.

Sep 9, 2004 at 2:54 AM Post #163 of 175
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
And rap artists do not pay royalties unless the "sample" is longer than, I believe, 10 seconds. Anything under, it is legal to use sans royalties. Just ask the Police if they allowed P. crapty to sample their song. They didn't, he used it anyway, made a nice piece of change for a dreadful song. Very original.

You seem to have completely missed the point of that song, how it was made and for what purpose. I hated the song too, I think P Diddy sucks, but the origin of the song is not that P Diddy thought it'd be great to make a dime on The Police's work, but to honor his friend that had been recently killed. That makes me respect his work to make a song using the song that had such deep and multiple meaning. He just explored a different meaning than The Police had.
As for the Police not allowing him to use the sample, Sting performed the song with P Diddy on stage. What sense would it make if they wouldn't want him to use the sample but the frontman will perform it with him? Besides, The Police have a big enough bankroll that if they didn't want P Diddy using it, they could've easily taken him to court over it.
Actually, I would like a link to your "when I can cut and paste a few thousand from any cd website and have a list that will take 4 pages of this thread to finish." Because without that, none of your posts bear any fruit to your argument.

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #164 of 175
Andy Summers also went on to say if he was asked permission to use that sample, he would have said no. Therefore, in my opinion, it is theft, money paid or no. I will admit to not knowing he received royalties, however. Sting performing with crapty has no bearing on the original creator, so using that as an example is misleading at best.
I didn't miss the point of the song at all. I know what it's purpose was, and he could have made even a greater tribute to his friend by creating something original, which he didn't, because he can't.
DLP, if my posts have no bearing without proof, neither do yours. Everything you used as alleged "proof" against any of my arguments isn't proof at all. The Sting argument proves nothing (see above), and naming individual artists does nothing. Here's three examples for me: Nas' blatant ripoff of "O Fortuna", Jay-Z's blatant ripoff of a Les Miserables song, incuding the damn chorus, and Eminem's ripoff of Dido "Thank You". Does that proof my point? No, it doesn't.

Lastly, bundee1, my original statement about rap is the lack of talent. Sampling is not talent. If you cover a song, you may very well lack creativity, but it takes talent to actually play the song. I never endorsed anyone whose career was made on covers, nor do I like any of the garbage rock on the radio. It is severly lacking in creativity and the performers by and large have an absolute bear minimum of talent. Still, my personal opinions aside, rock musicians write their own material, with an occasional cover, not entire albums using someone else's music slightly altered and packaged as their own. They still stink, though.

Sep 9, 2004 at 3:32 AM Post #165 of 175
Eye, What was the last rap song you listened to from beginning to end? Good rap takes talent, that is what everyone here is trying to convince you of. No one disputes your point about most rap being crap(especially whats on the radio).

I mentioned rock musicians who got huge boosts from covering songs (mostly blues) heres a shortlist:
The Beatles
Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
The Beatles
Rolling Stones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back