What do you guys recommend for <$100? Eggos?
May 1, 2003 at 6:43 AM Post #16 of 67
I do like the eggos in some ways. Perhaps you have not read my detailed review?

I just speak what I hear, and not what everybody says. In my ever ending search for a truly portable setup, I did use the Eggos for a time being.. After awhile the Eggos shortcommings were just to obvious, and so far, i'm much happier with the KSC-35s.

May 1, 2003 at 7:10 AM Post #17 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
I do like the eggos in some ways. Perhaps you have not read my detailed review?

I just speak what I hear, and not what everybody says. In my ever ending search for a truly portable setup, I did use the Eggos for a time being.. After awhile the Eggos shortcommings were just to obvious, and so far, i'm much happier with the KSC-35s.

I have to back stan23 up here.. I never found the Eggos to my liking at all.

May 1, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #18 of 67
hmm... was thinking of replacing my KSC35s with the D66SL. I guess it may not be worth my while after all.

May 1, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #19 of 67
I think the KSC-35 and D66s compliment each other. The Kosses sound great when you are in quiet place or don't want alot of sound leaking out. But if you are in a kind of noisy place or don't want to disturb others nearby go with the Eggos.

May 1, 2003 at 11:49 AM Post #20 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by jaskin
hmm... was thinking of replacing my KSC35s with the D66SL. I guess it may not be worth my while after all.

It really depends on what you're looking for. If your greatest concern is a large amount of bass, then the D66 might not be for you. Otherwise I certainly find the Eggos to sound better than KSC35.

May 1, 2003 at 2:39 PM Post #21 of 67
I know you said no clip-ons, but you really might want to think seriously about the ksc-35's. Conventional style phones are nice for portable use because you can put them on and take them off in a snap, and hang them around your neck when not in use. But, the ksc-35's are easy to put on, extremely comnfortbale, and because they don't really isolate at all you can leave them on and have conversations with no problems. Of course, if you want something that isolates for noisy environments ... they really don't isolate at all.

Plus, in my three days of use, I've come to agree with the masses, they sound great (especially at $30). A little lacking in the midrange, but otherwise...

May 1, 2003 at 6:37 PM Post #22 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
It really depends on what you're looking for. If your greatest concern is a large amount of bass, then the D66 might not be for you. Otherwise I certainly find the Eggos to sound better than KSC35.

I hate to bring up an old argument, but I have come to the conclusion that you find the Eggos better than the KSC-35 because of the music you listen to..

Looking back at old posts, you favor male vocalists. Now granted I don't listen to that type of music, (i'm more of a jazz guy) I can see why you would pick the D66. Your music is not very bass driven at all. (please correct me if i'm wrong, and point me to an example of a track that you feel is bass heavy)

Now for the masses: if male vocalists are your choice in music, then perhaps the D66 would be a good choice.

for everything else: there's the KSC-35 / SportaPro / PortaPro

May 1, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #23 of 67
Quote:

I hate to bring up an old argument, but I have come to the conclusion that you find the Eggos better than the KSC-35 because of the music you listen to..

Looking back at old posts, you favor male vocalists. Now granted I don't listen to that type of music, (i'm more of a jazz guy) I can see why you would pick the D66. Your music is not very bass driven at all. (please correct me if i'm wrong, and point me to an example of a track that you feel is bass heavy)

Now for the masses: if male vocalists are your choice in music, then perhaps the D66 would be a good choice.

for everything else: there's the KSC-35 / SportaPro / PortaPro

I listen to a rather wide variety of music, and I reached the conclusion that D66 are better than KSC35 after listening to all kinds of songs that emphasize on different frequencies. The only thing I can find to KSC35's favor is a stronger bass, that's it. I don't see the point of giving an example of a song I think is bass-heavy (I mean I know when there is bass and when there's not
wink.gif
) but since you requested it I think for example one of the songs in the Blade 2 soundtrack "Mos Def & Massive Attack - I against I" has a pretty thumping bass. I still think that:

KSC35 - mainly for basslovers
D66 - for allround music

when compared with each other.

May 1, 2003 at 6:56 PM Post #24 of 67
I basically want something that is as accurate as possible (<$100) across the whole spectrum - including tight, accurate bass, not particularly loud. I want to hear it like the sound engineers intended the audio to sound.

May 1, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #25 of 67
It seems the consensus around here is that the Sony V6 is a very analytical headphone. It is also within your budget.

May 1, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #26 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by RHMMMM
I basically want something that is as accurate as possible (<$100) across the whole spectrum - including tight, accurate bass, not particularly loud. I want to hear it like the sound engineers intended the audio to sound.

Well that's what I personally like about D66. To me it sounds pretty equal in all frequencies with no particular part overpowering the other to allow me to enjoy a wider variety of music. But I guess you already know what I think by now so I'll let others chime in with their opinion instead.

May 1, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #27 of 67
not sure about that one. The KSC-35 is a can for all occasions, whereas , I find the D66 to sound good on certain types of music.

May 2, 2003 at 12:08 AM Post #28 of 67
Quote:

not sure about that one. The KSC-35 is a can for all occasions, whereas , I find the D66 to sound good on certain types of music.

No worries mate, I'm sure of that
biggrin.gif
But seriously, he did specify he wants a "tight, accurate bass, not particularly loud". Would you think that really applies to KSC35? I certainly don't.

May 2, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #29 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
I listen to a rather wide variety of music, and I reached the conclusion that D66 are better than KSC35 after listening to all kinds of songs that emphasize on different frequencies. The only thing I can find to KSC35's favor is a stronger bass, that's it. I don't see the point of giving an example of a song I think is bass-heavy (I mean I know when there is bass and when there's not
wink.gif
) but since you requested it I think for example one of the songs in the Blade 2 soundtrack "Mos Def & Massive Attack - I against I" has a pretty thumping bass. I still think that:

KSC35 - mainly for basslovers
D66 - for allround music

when compared with each other.

Personally, I don't think the KSC35's are for basslovers. They give a fuller presentation of the sound because the low end is there, so I can actually hear drums or bass of music that isn't really bass-heavy.

Case in point: White Stripes' White Blood Cells album is not a bass-heavy album at all, but Meg White's bass drum rolls off on the low end. With jazz, I had to be hard-pressed to hear the walking bass lines under trumpets and saxophones.

Basically, all forms of music have some bass parts that I think the D66 Eggos don't fully expose because of the low-end roll off.

May 2, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #30 of 67
Quote:

wow, do we have the same ears? I must agree here. I found the D66's to sound better than the KSC35's on only certain tracks that seem tailored to the D66's sound. On most tracks, however, the KSC35's give a better presentation to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back