What do you guys recommend for <$100? Eggos?
May 2, 2003 at 4:45 AM Post #31 of 67
I don't think the bass is overexaggerated or bloated, it's just there, which is good! It sounds great to me. Portapros have enough bass to give me a headache switching to them. I don't feel justified in bashi..er..commenting on the D66 since I don't own it, but I definitely think that KSC-35's aren't just for bassheads
tongue.gif

May 2, 2003 at 4:50 AM Post #32 of 67
ksc-35s are defently not for bassheads, bassheads would own something like ex70, v700, ect ect...
i agree with NewSc2 and stan23, i dont think ksc-35s are better than D66 completly, on 60% of my songs, i just simply like the sound coming out of my D66 better than ksc-35

May 2, 2003 at 9:28 AM Post #33 of 67
Maybe I'm just used to the sound of my Eggo's now... I generally only listen to vocals, no rock, (mainly j-pop), male + female vocals...

The eggo's beat the KSC35s hands down... at least for all the music I listen to... none classical.. none rock at all (ugh).

The sound is just much more clear, smooth, soothing..

Again, female vocals + eggos send you to heaven
smily_headphones1.gif

And the bass.. it isn't that bad.. I think it just takes getting used to.

I was annoyed at the "lack of bass" at first.. but it either burned in after a month... or I got used to it. I don't find the bass missing anymore.

(I've had the KSC-35s for about 1.5 years now, and used them far more than any other headphone... untill I got the eggo's. There is a huge price difference though)

May 2, 2003 at 10:56 AM Post #34 of 67
I think the KSC-35's do have a slightly emphasized bass response overall, but IMO this is better than a can lacking bass to a stronger extent. In most music this leads to a more pleasing sound anyways. When I'm on the go (portable phones) I usually have other things to think about, not critical listening.

-dd3mon

May 2, 2003 at 12:24 PM Post #35 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by NewSc2
Personally, I don't think the KSC35's are for basslovers. They give a fuller presentation of the sound because the low end is there, so I can actually hear drums or bass of music that isn't really bass-heavy.

Case in point: White Stripes' White Blood Cells album is not a bass-heavy album at all, but Meg White's bass drum rolls off on the low end. With jazz, I had to be hard-pressed to hear the walking bass lines under trumpets and saxophones.

Basically, all forms of music have some bass parts that I think the D66 Eggos don't fully expose because of the low-end roll off.

I think you (and probably several others) missed my point somewhat, I mean the KSC35 comes across as basscans when compared to D66 since I find the D66 does everything better than KSC35 except bass in large volumes. So I never use the KSC35 unless I want something really small to slip into my pocket. I mean some recordings are meant to be bass-shy and it's not really for the headphones to correct that unless you want something that really wasn't there in the first place. I find the D66 to be a lot more neutral in it's presentation than KSC35 and that's how I enjoy my music, pretty equal over all freq. instead of a somewhat omnipresent bass, which I guess is the reason you think the sound is "fuller". Hey as long as you enjoy it, no problem. It's just not what I prefer.

May 2, 2003 at 12:35 PM Post #36 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
I don't think the bass is overexaggerated or bloated, it's just there, which is good! It sounds great to me. Portapros have enough bass to give me a headache switching to them. I don't feel justified in bashi..er..commenting on the D66 since I don't own it, but I definitely think that KSC-35's aren't just for bassheads
tongue.gif

Heh frankly I don't get it man, what do you have against something you haven't even heard? And it's no surprise you don't find KSC35 having exaggerated bass when you've come from the portapros really, few headphones have a more exaggerated bass than portas.

May 2, 2003 at 12:41 PM Post #37 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
I think the KSC-35's do have a slightly emphasized bass response overall, but IMO this is better than a can lacking bass to a stronger extent. In most music this leads to a more pleasing sound anyways. When I'm on the go (portable phones) I usually have other things to think about, not critical listening.

-dd3mon

Personally I find the KSC35 having a more exaggerated bass than the D66 having a lack of it. It's true portable listening is seldom done in a critical manner, but KSC35 and D66 differ that much in sound you really don't have to listen critically for it at all.

May 2, 2003 at 12:55 PM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by D-EJ915
I just splurged on D66's and A500's, so I'll tell you how I like them when I get them initially...

I'd really like a comparison between these two since I've been wondering for a while how they measure up, so do let us know when you're done
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #40 of 67
I'm surprised no one mentioned Sony V6/7506...everyone in the $60-80 range tends to boast those also...I guess they are less portable than Eggo's or PX series phones but they are a good pair of bassy cans. Personally I like my Senn. HD280's which I got for $60, but I'll be the first to say you look like a pure dork with those on - though I think very comfortable (not many people agree with me their) and they collapse nice too. Just a thought.

May 2, 2003 at 11:31 PM Post #41 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Heh frankly I don't get it man, what do you have against something you haven't even heard? And it's no surprise you don't find KSC35 having exaggerated bass when you've come from the portapros really, few headphones have a more exaggerated bass than portas.

I was just joking around about the eggos. I don't have anything against them, I haven't heard them. Don't belittle my opinion though *******, I didn't belittle yours. I've heard more than the portapros.

I could just as easily say: You think the KSC-35's have too much bass because, really, coming from the eggos, anything has more bass than those.

You don't see me writing stuff that like do you?

May 2, 2003 at 11:37 PM Post #42 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
I was just joking around about the eggos. I don't have anything against them, I haven't heard them. Don't belittle my opinion though *******, I didn't belittle yours. I've heard more than the portapros.

I could just as easily say: You think the KSC-35's have too much bass because, really, coming from the eggos, anything has more bass than those.

You don't see me writing stuff that like do you?

Whoa having a bad day man? I was simply saying that since you liked the portapros to begin with before you got the KSC35, it's no wonder you don't find them bassy. But if that's the way you want it, let me first state that my Dad can kick your Dad's ass
rolleyes.gif

May 3, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #43 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
Whoa having a bad day man? I was simply saying that since you liked the portapros to begin with before you got the KSC35, it's no wonder you don't find them bassy. But if that's the way you want it, let me first state that my Dad can kick your Dad's ass
rolleyes.gif

Heh, actually, yes. Sorry I got offended. I guess you were just trying to rationalize why I like them but don't do the "you like them because you have portapros" thing...that bugs me.

I'm not saying they can't be too bassy for you or anyone else, but with my ears, music, blahblahblah, I don't find the bass to be overexaggereted. I'm not saying it isn't exaggereted or present more than in other headphones, but I don't find it overly so to the point of being a detriment.

May 3, 2003 at 12:38 AM Post #44 of 67
so what if a pair of headphones have a tad more bass than being neutral?! Does that make it crappy can cause, its not completely FLAT?

My HD600 / ETY ER4s have a lot more bass than the Eggos. Does that mean, both my HD600 and ER4 are not flat in the scale because the Eggos are supposed to be the most 'flat' natural sounding cans? I think not. If anything, I think the Eggos are very thin sounding and FARRRR from being neutral.

The point i'm making here is , so what if something has more bass? I like.. no LOVE headphones with a bit of kick and punch to them.

I'm not gonna be listening to my tunes thinking in my head; "gosh, this sound so flat and reference like! zzzz" When i'm listening, I want to tap my toes and FEEL the music. I want to envoke emotions of what the artist is trying to get at with the music. I want to be at the concert, or right in the recording studio with them.

The Eggos don't give me that satisfaction. If anything, the eggos are good cans to listen to music w/o listening to them. Meaning, they are good to put on, load a long playlist and just sit there and work / code / whatever you do at work. But the instant, you want to feel the music, the Eggos won't be there to welcome you. Turn it up a bit, and you will really feel the weakness and shortcommings.

To me a good pair of cans, is the first moment I put them on.. I litterally get into the music.. move with it... makes me wanna get up and start dancing right in my office. Thats what I like and I choose my cans according to the feeling that *I* convey when listening.

I got the Eggos cause frankly of all the hype. When I first put them on, I told myself perhaps they will sound better with break-in. Or perhaps I should try a different source? After a while I learned to accept the Eggos for what they are. But after a while you're only kidding yourself. Yes--i'm a little more outspoken than most. I will tell it like it is, and not sugar coat anything. If something sucks (even if everyone *claims* to like it) I will speak the truth.

I know what a good pair of headphones sound like and the Eggos are faaaarrrr from it.

May 3, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #45 of 67
oh yes, if you ever get a can and mention in your head; "i'll get used to them." Then you are really kidding yourself.

All the cans I keep are the ones that absolutely makes my jaw drop when I first slip them on.

I don't think many people can say that about the Eggos.
cool.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back