What do you guys recommend for <$100? Eggos?
May 3, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #46 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
oh yes, if you ever get a can and mention in your head; "i'll get used to them." Then you are really kidding yourself.

All the cans I keep are the ones that absolutely makes my jaw drop when I first slip them on.

I don't think many people can say that about the Eggos.
cool.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

Well, not to be contrary, I had that experience when I first listened to my MDR-D-77 eggos.

tongue.gif

May 3, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #47 of 67
Quote:

Rizumu
stan23, I award you the title of Official Eggo Disser.

Quote:

stan23
I do like the eggos in some ways. Perhaps you have not read my detailed review?

Quote:

stan23
I know what a good pair of headphones sound like and the Eggos are faaaarrrr from it.

stan23 you sure have gotten angry in the last 2 days.
I expect to see a new avatar pronto!
wink.gif

May 3, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #48 of 67
The Eggo's bass is there but you don't -feel- it. They're quality phones, no doubt. The KSC-35 sound nice as well and I think people take 'exaggerated bass' a little too derrogatory. I do think their bass is exaggerated but that doesn't mean that it's exploding my eardrums with fat-ass flabby bass or anything...

Eggo's win in all respects aside from bass you can feel.

May 3, 2003 at 1:04 AM Post #49 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by SBomm
stan23 you sure have gotten angry in the last 2 days.
I expect to see a new avatar pronto!
wink.gif

haha.. nope not angry. For the past few days, i've been re-listening to my eggos (before selling them) and I just cannot like the sound anymore no matter what.

I will change the avatar now! :wink:

May 3, 2003 at 1:55 AM Post #50 of 67
What's your guy's opinion on the new Koss PRO4AAT phones? I read some of the posts in the past few days and actually saw them the other day when I was in Radio Shack. Their fit and finish is pretty nice, but I didn't get a chance to hear them.

May 3, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #51 of 67
Quote:

haha.. nope not angry. For the past few days, i've been re-listening to my eggos (before selling them) and I just cannot like the sound anymore no matter what.

I will change the avatar now! :wink:

Hmmm, I say give headphones a week of burn-in time before you decide whether to keep them or not. Going off of first impressions of my HFI-650 I thought they were "okay" and "maybe they'll get better". I love them now but it took a bit for both them to warm up and me to warm up to them. Sooo...you can't always be sure from the get-go.

I don't believe I've heard of those Kosses. I'll search for the thread, though if I remember, are they the ones with the funky weird looking earpads?

May 3, 2003 at 5:46 AM Post #52 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Hmmm, I say give headphones a week of burn-in time before you decide whether to keep them or not. Going off of first impressions of my HFI-650 I thought they were "okay" and "maybe they'll get better". I love them now but it took a bit for both them to warm up and me to warm up to them. Sooo...you can't always be sure from the get-go.

I don't believe I've heard of those Kosses. I'll search for the thread, though if I remember, are they the ones with the funky weird looking earpads?

Thanks, but i've had my Eggos for a few months now.

May 3, 2003 at 5:48 AM Post #53 of 67
Quote:

Thanks, but i've had my Eggos for a few months now.

I'm not saying you haven't, or that you should give them more time. Just giving general advice.

May 3, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #54 of 67
I've heard the D66 Eggos briefly myself, and I couldn't get myself to like them. To be exact, I thought the highs had a tinny ringing noise (could it be a resonance spasm?) that's all too common to cheap closed headphones, except that the Eggos weren't very closed. And I thought the upper mids were sucked out, just like many other Japanese-designed headphones at all price points that I've listened to over the years. That suck-out in the upper mids also had a side effect: It made whatever little bass that the Eggos produce sound lifeless and dull.

May 3, 2003 at 6:07 AM Post #55 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
I've heard the D66 Eggos briefly myself, and I couldn't get myself to like them. To be exact, I thought the highs had a tinny ringing noise (could it be a resonance spasm?) that's all too common to cheap closed headphones, except that the Eggos weren't very closed. And I thought the upper mids were sucked out, just like many other Japanese-designed headphones at all price points that I've listened to over the years. That suck-out in the upper mids also had a side effect: It made whatever little bass that the Eggos produce sound lifeless and dull.

Yes--That's exactly my current impression of them. When I first got them, I did not hear anything else, just the Eggos. I liked them for what they are, and for what I used them with.

It's not until I listened to other portable headphones that made me feel the way I do about the Eggos.

May 3, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #56 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by RHMMMM
What's your guy's opinion on the new Koss PRO4AAT phones? I read some of the posts in the past few days and actually saw them the other day when I was in Radio Shack. Their fit and finish is pretty nice, but I didn't get a chance to hear them.

You can rule that model out as an everyday-use headphone: It weighs at least 50% heavier than the Sony MDR-CD3000 (21 ounces for the PRO4AAT versus 14 ounces for the MDR-CD3000), and it's equally as large. Furthermore, it requires a big, un-portable amp just to produce much audio - it has a high, 250-ohm impedance and fairly low efficiency.

Quote:

Yes--That's exactly my current impression of them. When I first got them, I did not hear anything else, just the Eggos. I liked them for what they are, and for what I used them with.

It's not until I listened to other portable headphones that made me feel the way I do about the Eggos.

And not only did my findings apply to the D66 Eggos, but my findings also apply to almost every Japanese-designed circumaural closed-back headphone that I've ever heard. (The astronomically expensive Sony MDR-R10 is one of the very few circumaural closed-back Japanese headphones that somehow minimize those common shortcomings.)

May 3, 2003 at 1:23 PM Post #57 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Heh, actually, yes. Sorry I got offended. I guess you were just trying to rationalize why I like them but don't do the "you like them because you have portapros" thing...that bugs me.

I'm not saying they can't be too bassy for you or anyone else, but with my ears, music, blahblahblah, I don't find the bass to be overexaggereted. I'm not saying it isn't exaggereted or present more than in other headphones, but I don't find it overly so to the point of being a detriment.

No worries man, everyone have bad days. I wasn't trying to belittle your opinion though, I think it's human nature to get used to things, as humans are creatures of habit. For example my initial impression of D66 was so-so as I did find them pretty much lacking in bass even though I liked the other qualities. But after a couple of hours I got used to hearing the not so prominent bass, because before that I had used the KSC35 on an almost daily basis for weeks. So it took me a while to get away from the accentuated midbass I was used to and starting to like the overall more neutral sound from D66. A few days ago I had a longer session with the KSC35 to see if I would go back and prefer the accentuated bass again, but it just wasn't possible as I was hearing the higher freq. was somewhat muffled by the bass and the overall sound quality of the KSC35 to me just don't measure up to D66.

May 3, 2003 at 1:36 PM Post #58 of 67
stan23: You sure have gone from thinking the D66 are decent to really crappy in the past few days. I mean from liking them in some areas to being a headphone that is faaaaarr from good that everyone claims to like is quite a huge leap. What brought these changes on? Right now I'd think you find them to be close to stock earbuds?

May 3, 2003 at 1:51 PM Post #59 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
And I thought the upper mids were sucked out, just like many other Japanese-designed headphones at all price points that I've listened to over the years. That suck-out in the upper mids also had a side effect: It made whatever little bass that the Eggos produce sound lifeless and dull.

What do you mean with sucked out upper mids? I find female vocals playing through the D66 sounding really sweet so I certainly don't find the upper mids lacking if that's what you meant?

May 3, 2003 at 7:30 PM Post #60 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
No worries man, everyone have bad days. I wasn't trying to belittle your opinion though, I think it's human nature to get used to things, as humans are creatures of habit. For example my initial impression of D66 was so-so as I did find them pretty much lacking in bass even though I liked the other qualities. But after a couple of hours I got used to hearing the not so prominent bass, because before that I had used the KSC35 on an almost daily basis for weeks. So it took me a while to get away from the accentuated midbass I was used to and starting to like the overall more neutral sound from D66. A few days ago I had a longer session with the KSC35 to see if I would go back and prefer the accentuated bass again, but it just wasn't possible as I was hearing the higher freq. was somewhat muffled by the bass and the overall sound quality of the KSC35 to me just don't measure up to D66.

You are very, very right! I find it strange how accustomed you get to sound. If you're ever finding yourself bored with your good phones, try using your lesser phones for a while. You'll find that you'll become adjusted to those, and then when you switch back to your good phones, you'll fall in love all over again. It's weird how this happens.

When I got my HD580's and HFI-650's, and after listening to those for awhile and going back to Portapros, I was *shocked* by the amount of bass they had! Muffled sound and bleh! I didn't want to listen to them anymore after that. I didn't even think they were that bassy when I got them, because I had only heard crap before. I enjoy more neutral sound as well, but the Portapros/KSC-35's are still fun and great for portable use. Lightweight and comfy, I find myself reluctant to put my big, clunky HFI-650 on my head
tongue.gif

There are some detractors of the D66, but for every one of those there are 10 loyal supporters, so someday I will get around to hearing a pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back