What do you guys recommend for <$100? Eggos?
May 3, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #61 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
stan23: You sure have gone from thinking the D66 are decent to really crappy in the past few days. I mean from liking them in some areas to being a headphone that is faaaaarr from good that everyone claims to like is quite a huge leap. What brought these changes on? Right now I'd think you find them to be close to stock earbuds?

I think it has something to do with the fact that I just got the KSC-35s!
smily_headphones1.gif

I was really happy with the KSC-50 and IMO they are better than the Eggos.. but when I got the 35s, it made me realize the shortcomings of the Eggos quite quickly.

May 3, 2003 at 11:41 PM Post #63 of 67
Ok with the Eggo's, I'm not hearing a "lack of bass", but rather a bass reminicent of the bass of the ETY 4S's. It's there, just not "in your face" for me, but a more viceral bass. The detail, especially in the upper mids and highs is really good, but I think the only real advantage these have over the V6's is their size and weight.

Feel free to correct me though, I've only been listening to them for about an hour.

May 4, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #64 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
You are very, very right! I find it strange how accustomed you get to sound. If you're ever finding yourself bored with your good phones, try using your lesser phones for a while. You'll find that you'll become adjusted to those, and then when you switch back to your good phones, you'll fall in love all over again. It's weird how this happens.

When I got my HD580's and HFI-650's, and after listening to those for awhile and going back to Portapros, I was *shocked* by the amount of bass they had! Muffled sound and bleh! I didn't want to listen to them anymore after that. I didn't even think they were that bassy when I got them, because I had only heard crap before. I enjoy more neutral sound as well, but the Portapros/KSC-35's are still fun and great for portable use. Lightweight and comfy, I find myself reluctant to put my big, clunky HFI-650 on my head
tongue.gif

There are some detractors of the D66, but for every one of those there are 10 loyal supporters, so someday I will get around to hearing a pair.

That sounds like a very economical way to feel like getting new headphones, just listen to something worse every now and then
wink.gif
I wouldn't want to go portable with the Ultrasones either, for foldable headphones they sure seem huge. But let us know what you think about the D66 if you get to try a pair. As long as you don't find bass being most important for musical enjoyment there's a good chance you'll like them.

May 4, 2003 at 6:03 PM Post #65 of 67
Quote:

Originally posted by williamgoody
Ok with the Eggo's, I'm not hearing a "lack of bass", but rather a bass reminicent of the bass of the ETY 4S's. It's there, just not "in your face" for me, but a more viceral bass. The detail, especially in the upper mids and highs is really good, but I think the only real advantage these have over the V6's is their size and weight.

Feel free to correct me though, I've only been listening to them for about an hour.

Yes that's pretty much what I'm hearing too. The bass is there but since it's not delivered with a lot of slam like for example the KSC35/portapro do some might find it too weak. What I really enjoy is what you pointed out too, the detailed sound in mids and highs. I can't say how they compare to V6 though as I've yet to find a pair I can try.

May 4, 2003 at 6:17 PM Post #66 of 67
Really, the HFI-650s are too bulky to travel with? I will soon see, but I planned on taking them to Europe this summer for some isolated sight-seeingesque activities. Bah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back