What do you guys listen to?
Aug 25, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #61 of 90
Maxvla, I hear you, but I think it's also important to learn to listen through a recording to focus purely on the performance. Otherwise you miss out on a lot of pleasure you could get from truly great performances recorded before the era of modern recording technology. I do find that for listening to historical recordings, bright, clear, non-muddy reproduction is if anything even more important because it's that much harder to extract the lesser amount of audible information that's there, and you don't want anything getting in the way to make the job even harder. The up-front nature of Grados seems to work really well for this.

Aug 25, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #62 of 90
I listen to a lot of guitar-driven music (rock, metal, blues, punk, industrial metal), a few classical works and quite a bit of electronic music. The thing is, I've come to like balanced/neutral/"lifeless" headphones because every song of every genre is different and should sound different.
I don't want a steady thumping noise emanating from my cans, regardless of what I play. Timbre and clarity are really more important than an uncontrollable urge to shake your booty or tap your feet. Of course, good cans should make you headbang and "feel" the music. Just not with Bach or Norah Jones.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #64 of 90

Quote:
am i the only new generation on this forum or are there others of the same kind here with me? I mean from the way I see it, it seems to me that most of the people on here are like well into there 40s and 50s...

I'm 20, and I listen to the latest electronic crap that comes from Japan. No, it's not really crap; I just put it that way because not a lot of people like it.

My headphones of choice (beyerdynamic DT 48) are among the flattest, precisely because flat response does wonders to make sound life like. In contrast, bass heavy headphones and headphones that color the sound in general sound fake and put a layer of separation between me and the music. I usually like my music clean and transparent, though occasionally, I'll flick on that bass boost for fun or for low volume listening.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #65 of 90
R&B, rap, pop, rock, and metal.

Classical, trance, techno, and oldies 

J-Pop/Rock, C-Pop, and K-Pop.

I think that sums up everything I have on my collection. 

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #66 of 90

Quote:

I go hard for eminem, hollywood undead, jay-z, t.i., linkin park, 50 cent, toby mac, john mayer, green day, etc...you get the point right? very broad line up here; almost every genre. am i the only new generation on this forum or are there others of the same kind here with me? I mean from the way I see it, it seems to me that most of the people on here are like well into there 40s and 50s...
only endorsing certain types of headphones, amps, etc...come to think of it, a newbie bites into what you guys recommend him and all of the sudden he's like, "what the hell?" Not that I was ever a victim, but I have tried many headphones of which many of you recommend from time to time.

evil_smiley.gif

I love 90's hiphop on Grados but that's because BnTH's vocals sound good, plus the crisp percussion. With your music I imagine you'd need a bit more bass. AT's ATH-M50 would be a good start. Beats is good for this sort music (because it has a bass-busting amp built-into it already) but the AT's are cheaper. Out of the ones listed the only one that might not go well with this is GreenDay but YMMV.

Aug 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #67 of 90
Shouldn't this thread be placed into the music forum?

Another question, what is meant by the OP in the first posting by the term, "monkey crap"?  Never heard of that genre of music.

Aug 26, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #68 of 90
Well, and my music journey:

10-12:  Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, The Kelly Family...
deadhorse.gif

12-15: Scooter, Paul van Dyk, DJ Tiesto...

15-20: The Cranberries, Team (slovak rock band), Foo Fighters, Nickelback, Placebo, Linkin Park...

20 and more: every type of music,...from classic to metal, simply - EVERYTHING.

Aug 26, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #69 of 90

You'll grow tired of the music you listen to, sooner or later
Sooner or later, you'll start enjoying "monkey crap" like we do
You'll sneer at the people who listen to named bands and do not explore further; never mind the fact that you were like them too
Then you grow older and you'll realize that its normal to go through all that

So yeah, to the future you, enjoy your monkey crap

Quote:
I notice 95% of the people on here like flat/lifeless sounding headphones...so that made me wonder what you guys listen to.

I listen to mostly everything. No, I don't do jazz, classical and any of that monkey crap.

I go hard for eminem, hollywood undead, jay-z, t.i., linkin park, 50 cent, toby mac, john mayer, green day, etc...you get the point right? very broad line up here; almost every genre. am i the only new generation on this forum or are there others of the same kind here with me? I mean from the way I see it, it seems to me that most of the people on here are like well into there 40s and 50s...
only endorsing certain types of headphones, amps, etc...come to think of it, a newbie bites into what you guys recommend him and all of the sudden he's like, "what the hell?" Not that I was ever a victim, but I have tried many headphones of which many of you recommend from time to time.

evil_smiley.gif

Aug 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #70 of 90
Music streaming will make so much more music available than ever before. I would expect tastes to become more diverse because of that.

Aug 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #71 of 90

Quote:
Music streaming will make so much more music available than ever before. I would expect tastes to become more diverse because of that.

I wonder if it will?

In the twentieth century we have seen music become available as recordings but I wonder if that brought about a greater diversification of tastes?

I think in the twenty first century the ability to make money out of the recordings themselves will cease, because it is so difficult to prevent people from distributing them on the Internet themselves.

It is difficult for me to imagine how music will be funded other than from sales of recordings.

I have had an idea myself which is to create a company which invites the general public to commission composition and performance themselves at a website, then distribute the recordings for free.

I wrote about this at my blog here.

Aug 27, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #73 of 90
Spotify really makes you appreciate other styles of music. I will listen to pretty much anything. Most of the time depending on my mood. For me music is all about having songs to suite your mood and your feelings. Instant highs through music is such a great thing. If only more kids could find happiness through music rather than vandalism and ruining other people lives then the world would be a better place.

Here are a few of my current favourites:

Artists -
Josh Groban
Delta Goodrem
Evanescence

Styles - 
Dubstep
Hardcore (Hixxy, Dougal and Gammer)

So many to list I will just leave it at that though...

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #74 of 90

Quote:
fantasy. you can do it with itunes but it isn't actually upscaling the resolution, just taking up more space on your hard drive :p

Actually, converting lower bitrate directly to higher bitrate isn't JUST taking up more space on your hard drive, it's actually reducing the sound quality.  Now, if you take a *lossless* format, like a CD, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, etc, and then convert it to a higher bitrate, then it'll be higher quality.  But if you go from low to high, all that does is re-compress music that's already been compressed, introducing more artifacting and noise, and yes, wasting hard drive space.

As far as what music we listen to, there's actually a whole forum on here dedicated to that very subject: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/9  where we talk about the "monkey crap" we listen to on our "lifeless headphones."  Check it out.  Maybe you'll realize you like more than just top 40 rap and rock.  Or maybe your bigoted views on headphones will translate to music as well.  Who knows? 

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #75 of 90

Quote:
Actually I'm very happy I grew up in the 80's.  Definitely my favorite era music wise.  I really think music went into a general technical decline starting in the 90's.  There have been great bands and music in every era but I think the technical ability and musical education of artists is thinning out quite steadily.  Maybe Rockband will fix that eventually.  Now that you can play it w/ a real electric guitar.  Just the beginning.  I can't wait to have to by a Baby Grand Yamaha for Rockband.  
tongue_smile.gif

I call bs.  There's a huge variety of music out there, and plenty of technical ability to be found if you're willing to explore it.  RHCP formed in the 90s, and for most of their career they've had one of the most musically talented rosters you're likely to hear.  I'd put John Frusciante and Flea next to just about any guitarist and bassist in the past 50 years.  Hilary Hahn is easily one of the best violinists I've ever heard, and she emerged in the 2000s.  Plenty of musically gifted folks out there; the Mars Volta, Tool, Radiohead.  And hey, even if their music isn't up my alley, John Mayer & Dave Matthews Band are pretty damned impressive instrumentally.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back