What do I have? E9 or E9i???
Oct 11, 2011 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Bill600

New Head-Fier
Today I received what was supposed to be a FiiO E9i from Amazon for use with Sennheiser HD-600's.

I'm old and not very bright, and am a bit confused by what I've received - that is - the receipt, and the barcode label on the box shows E9i.  However, the multi-language booklet and the box AND the amp itself all say just E9.  I didn't realize how close the two models are, and immediately started using whatever model I have by docking the ipod.  It works and sounds great... and the connector fits, and the ipod is not ruined.  Great two channel stereo, impressive... however...

the iPod does not charge and Amazon's description says it does, I believe... more doubt.

There is a card that was also packed in the box marked E9 that is an incredibly poor attempt at English entitled "Instruction for E9 using with iPod/iPhone products... that contains a few paragraphs that are of no relevance that I know of anyway, it speaks about use of the iPod/iPhone with USB and various anomalies; for example "Both connected with USB and external power, if there are any abnormal conditions for the connection of computer, please extract the external power adapter or replug the iPod/iPhone unit.  What????  Is this saying the unit, whatever it is, can be used at the computer desktop with the USB cable and the connector will perform the usual functions for the iPod... but perhaps the external power shouldn't be used?

I'm using the amp on a bedside table, nowhere near the computer, and sync only with the white USB cable from Apple... but does the inclusion of this card imply that I do have an E9i???

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate any advice - great stereo sound for the Sennheisers - but no charging - and Amazon charged me for an E9i, the box has a label that says E9i (actually it's an adhesive label/barcode over the original one printed on the box).

Oct 16, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Yes, they are not similar - they are the exact same thing.  except for the docking connector.  If an ipod connects to it it's the e9i.  Though I can't give you any insight about charging.  Are you sure it's plugged in the whole way, is the ipod plugged in the whole way?  Re-connect it.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for your reply.  I've only attempted to use this amp as a bedroom located listening station for my Sennheiser 600's and I'm amazed at how great it sounds.  It's good to hear that the model I have is the real deal, stenciled right nor not.  The big unknown factor aside from that was if the docking which worked so well - and the perfect stereo sound - could still leave a question of being the wrong model.

I usually charge the ipod and ipad at my "kitchen counter" charging station (plain white cable) so was a little surprised that it wouldn't charge, but finally tonight I brought it to the computer and plugged it in via USB, and it does charge, and does sync, so everything is perfect.  The only reason it wouldn't charge is that it wants a USB connector in place for that function; I guess I thought it might provide charging on it's own.  I have a dock with portable transmitter to my Yamaha receiver, and when done listening, drop the ipod w/transmitter attached into the dock and it charges immediately.

This site is a great resource and greatly appreciated.  The Sennheisers are great products.  Back in the 1970's I had Koss, then Stax, electrostatics - until I realized Sennheisers sounded great.  Money difficulties forced me to sell the Stax (got a lot for them!) but I never missed them as the Sennheisers (I guess the 600's are the 3rd or 4th of that brand I've had over time) have done very well.

I never thought it would happen to me - listening in terms of high-end electronics for things like "detail" and astounding exact placement of instruments or sections of the orchestra across the left-right stereo spread.  Great products!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back