What did you want when you first got into this hobby? And what do you have now?
Mar 2, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 45
I wanted the PS1000, i have.. slightly, quenched my grado thirst and now own 6 cans, 3 of which i cycle when at home
HD650, Q701 and SR225i, dependant on what i be listening to. with two little dots to power them, and a modi as my DAC :)
I'm happy. ish.

now i want some ortho's..
and an electrostat would be handy
or two.

and some T1's
and maybe HD800's...
and some TH900 for good measure.

oh god I'm doomed.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #17 of 45
Quote:
Started out wanting the Bose QC15 ~7 months ago looked for an alternative online out of curiosity.

Ended up with the Audeze LCD2.2's.

Had a couple of beater mid-fi cans somewhere in the middle to hold me over, was a pretty quick journey.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #19 of 45
Started when i heard the HD800 while wandering around in a hifi-store, it was hooked up to some crazy expensive tube amp. What i heard could be descriped as angels singing and i knew that i needed to get them somehow.

Though i've always been interested in speakers, headphones was just something that i didn't give much thought, the HD800 changed that for me.

2 years later i still haven't got them, it's a bit hard with my budget, but i've found out that there are some awesome sound to be had for cheap which is awesome.

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #20 of 45
Quote:
Started when i heard the HD800 while wandering around in a hifi-store, it was hooked up to some crazy expensive tube amp. What i heard could be descriped as angels singing and i knew that i needed to get them somehow.

Though i've always been interested in speakers, headphones was just something that i didn't give much thought, the HD800 changed that for me.

2 years later i still haven't got them, it's a bit hard with my budget, but i've found out that there are some awesome sound to be had for cheap which is awesome.

What are you running now?

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #21 of 45
Before I got into headfi, I had a pair of hd202's that were literally falling apart. I had not used them in a year and had gone to some Polk speakers and a small sub. I went through about 1/2 dozen hp's in 8 months and it was mostly about bass. Then gradually I moved towards more balanced hp's and better dacs and amps. 

The hd650 and he4 are sitting on my stand right now with a bifrost and Asgard 2. I think that both of these hp's sound wonderful. As do the MD which is on loan. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #23 of 45
Quote:
Sorry but doesn't this belong in the lounge not the equipment forum?

The lounge? I never go in there. Is that where the cool kids hang? 
popcorn.gif

Mar 2, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #24 of 45
Mar 2, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #25 of 45
I used to have to rotate headphones out every 6 months due to unknown defects or design issues that just seemed to have no end of frustration and breaking, my last pair admittedly was designed for work headsets than anything else, but I found headphones and gear recommendations here that allowed me to minimise risks that broke headphones.

I usually wouldn’t consider the 6 month idea a bad idea but in 2 years’ time I have just cost me 1 decent headphone that with care won’t randomly defect as much and can still get repairs etc. which I have to say head-fi has been pretty decent at revealing repairing headphones isn’t necessarily just a warranty return.

Mar 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #27 of 45
Sorry but doesn't this belong in the lounge not the equipment forum?

It's about equipment though! And since the headphones are the primary aspect of head-fi, I put it here.

It's about what equipment and experiences you were expecting from headphones and the surprises and radical turns you've taken AS TOLD by your 'trail" of headphones, amps, DACS, etc.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #28 of 45
Quote:
What constitutes 'high-end' for you?

hmmm....most money i hv put down was for the hd800.
so i seriously doubt i would go beyond 1k ever again. 4-500 is my sweetspot.
that means i wont get to the 009s...fostex900...exotic amps like conductor...blue something...or some multiple Ks dac...
until their prices droppppppp to a quarter a decade from now.
confused_face.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #29 of 45
Quote:
What are you running now?

Most used is my Philips Fidelio X1 hooked up up to my Yamaha RX-V765 reciever which oddly is better than my Fiio E17 for driving them.
For traveling or if i'm visiting my parents i use my AKG K550 with the E17, i also use them for lan parties.
For on the go it's the JVC FXT90 hooked up to my iPhone 5.

Currently saving up for the ODAC and O2 amp, though i've also had my eye on the Sony MDR-1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back