What did you want when you first got into this hobby? And what do you have now?
Mar 3, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #31 of 45
I started with some Sennheisers about 11 or 12 years ago and for the longest time the idea was always to "end up" with the HD600. I had heard it, I was in love with it and didn't think there was anything better (I also didn't know better). A decade in, I actually passed on getting those and Sennheiser doesn't feature as much in my headphone portfolio (primarily Beyerdynamic (990 and COP) and AudioTechnica (AD700 & A900X). I have also given up thinking there is one single headphone that will do everything - woke up this morning and was listening to Air Supply on my AD-700's and now have Armin Van Buren on via Beyer COP and see having 8 decent headphones as a normal need. Even my non-techie brother has over half a dozen pairs and is pre-disposed to AKG (518LE / K172 / K240). The low point though was listening to the song a few times over with different headphones and my gf asked me what I was listening to and I said "Beyerdynamic"...

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #32 of 45
I just got my UE6000 last week and because of this website I chose the UE6000's over souls by ludacris and beats by dr dre. The UE6000's have the flashy looks of celebrity endorsed/designer headphones but still has great sound. I let my friends who have beats listen to these and they were all surprised by how good they sounded and it's price tag and striking design makes a regretful purchase for those that bought the beats by dr dre. They kinda look like they were designed after an automobile (i.e. Audi R8, Lambo, or even the lexus lfa). I did like 2-3 weeks of research though before I even was prepared to purchase headphones and became really addicting.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #33 of 45
I started with some Sennheisers about 11 or 12 years ago and for the longest time the idea was always to "end up" with the HD600. I had heard it, I was in love with it and didn't think there was anything better (I also didn't know better). A decade in, I actually passed on getting those and Sennheiser doesn't feature as much in my headphone portfolio (primarily Beyerdynamic (990 and COP) and AudioTechnica (AD700 & A900X). I have also given up thinking there is one single headphone that will do everything - woke up this morning and was listening to Air Supply on my AD-700's and now have Armin Van Buren on via Beyer COP and see having 8 decent headphones as a normal need. Even my non-techie brother has over half a dozen pairs and is pre-disposed to AKG (518LE / K172 / K240). The low point though was listening to the song a few times over with different headphones and my gf asked me what I was listening to and I said "Beyerdynamic"...

I haven't gotten enough different headphones yet that I'd identify with the headphone instead of the music.

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #34 of 45
It's only been about 2.5 years. I started with the Sennheiser Px 100, and moved onto the  grado Sr80i. I hated it - the sound, the horrible comfort. Thought this world wasn't for me. Then I got my hands on a Phillips Citiscape Downtown and got back into the fold.

Now I'm listening to my HD 598 / DT770 Pro at home and Sony MDR1RBT on the go :) 

Mar 4, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #35 of 45
Started with Etymotic HF3s, got tired of being short leashed to my computer, so I wanted something else... Have wound up with some M50s that I'm digging. Now thinking about what type of amp to use....

Mar 5, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #36 of 45
For me, it all started out of two things: curiosity as to what higher-end headphones sounded like, and if headphones could deliver competitive, immersive surround sound for gaming.

My headphones at the time were either budget models or a vintage Sansui SS-20, so I went out and bought the Audio-Technica AD700, following the recommendations at the time. I was not disappointed, and I even lost interest in speakers because of how well they worked with CMSS-3D Headphone.

But I was still curious...how much better did it get? The next rung up the ladder seemed to be the AD900, then the Beyerdynamic DT880 after I started hearing praise for that one for gaming's sake...but I went with neither, due to an unexpected circumstance.

Long story short, I had found praise for Stax Lambdas and electrostatic setups in general for gaming and a unique sense of clarity you couldn't get elsewhere, and a vintage Normal bias Lambda with an SRD-7/SB (and rebuilt drivers that weren't quite original spec) just happened to be listed here for the low, low price of $250. I couldn't resist, even if that was still kind of expensive.

A year and a few other headphones later (Panasonic HTF600, Stax SR-202, Philips CitiScape Uptown, and even a HiFiMan HE-400 with velour pads thanks to Mad Lust Envy), and that vintage Lambda still remains my favorite headphone. I just didn't really know it at first until I started comparing some other popular headphones and found myself missing something every time, usually the midrange and vocals that didn't seem veiled or recessed in any respect, and in other cases, that distinct airy, atmospheric delivery the Lambda line is known for.

That's the point where I told myself "You know what, just stick to those Normal bias SR-Lambdas if you can find 'em, since they're what you know you like!" The sound presentation AND the comfort...it's the one for me, and if anything, I should consider myself lucky that I found the one on my second major headphone purchase, given that some people here have gone through dozens of headphones and still haven't found the one that gives them ultimate satisfaction!

Now I just want a dedicated Stax amp that isn't way out of my budget, if only to consolidate the whole "old A/V receiver + SRD-7/SB" setup into something that doesn't hog up as much of my computer desk solely to make my favorite headphones function at all, along with having both Normal bias and Pro bias sockets for compatibility's sake. Even the SRM-1/Mk2 Pro at $300-400 is a long stretch for my wallet, and it just goes up from there, way up.

Mar 6, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #37 of 45
I aspire to Stax too. It's hard to have an enthusiasm like I do for good headphones. It's not like I can really talk about this stuff with coworkers or even friends. When I say that I aspire to a headphone kit that costs the same as a high-quality used car (My only vehicle is a motorcycle at the moment), they look at me as though I'm a space alien who eats baby parts. It varies from bafflement to mild revulsion.

Needless to say, I don't mention my headphone rig on dates. The motorcycle-only thing is barrier enough.

Mar 7, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #38 of 45
Quote:
I aspire to Stax too. It's hard to have an enthusiasm like I do for good headphones. It's not like I can really talk about this stuff with coworkers or even friends. When I say that I aspire to a headphone kit that costs the same as a high-quality used car (My only vehicle is a motorcycle at the moment), they look at me as though I'm a space alien who eats baby parts. It varies from bafflement to mild revulsion.

Needless to say, I don't mention my headphone rig on dates. The motorcycle-only thing is barrier enough.

Haha I feel your pain. Although strangely enough, several of my friends understand of my quest for headphone euphoria. In fact, one of my closest friends approves of it, as long as she gets to hear them after I get them. Now my other passion though, I have a much harder time talking about it to anybody. Cars. I have one friend who I can completely go balls to the wall with and talk about them in insane detail.

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #39 of 45
Well, i started out with an  English make the Quad 405 a pair of JBL L100 and a Thorens TD160 turntable total cost for the system in 1977 was $2,500.00 a lot of dough back then ,but it sounded  so good that i kept the system  for 33 years only to give it to my son with all my records including my Rolling Stones album Some Girls, i have a copy with all the faces on the jacket . he's a lucky guy and he knows it . Last years i made the jump to headphones and Head-fi i resisted for a while i was proud i said to myself you have your denon 1001 they sound good why change. BAM before i knew i had changed my sound card bough an asus essence stx wow that sounded  great ..... BUT that wasn't good enough you know the rest of the story well i got a pair of Denons d-5000 that i have to change the cups on and of that, a tube amp ,started rolling tubes ,after i needed a solid state amp you gotta compare you know. And now actually tomorrow the ultimate the marvelous BURSON CONDUCTOR oh my god my last amp !

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #41 of 45
Last summer I had a little bit of extra cash to spend, and I thought, "Hey, I listen to a lot of music, but I'm always buying these cheap $10 earbuds. I know there are more expensive headphones out there, so why don't I buy some!" I didn't know much about what I was getting into other than that the Apple Store and Best Buy sold what I considered at the time some expensive headphones, so I began there. Naturally I looked at Beats first - I thought they sounded okay, but I could tell they weren't worth the price tag. I wandered around a bit more and eventually found myself in the Magnolia area where I was drawn to the B&W P5's. The build quality was a thousand times better than the Beats and the sound didn't disappoint. I listened to a few other headphones in the same price range as the P5's before deciding they were the best cans in the store. However, I'm the kind of person who has to Yelp every new restaurant I eat at, so I didn't throw down the cash right then and there. I went home and watched a few YouTube comparison videos and read some reviews, and to my delight the P5's garnered a lot of praise. Shortly thereafter I picked up a pair, and for about 5-6 months they were one of my most prized possessions. I thought they sounded awesome and I received quite a few compliments from various friends, family, and strangers. Needless to say, I was quite happy with my purchase. 

Then I met you ********. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I had never heard nor read a bad word about the P5's until I visited Head-Fi. Of course, it's not like the reviews here were absolutely horrible (I probably would have cried if I had gone with the Beats), but I couldn't help feeling disappointed that there might be better sounding headphones out there that actually cost LESS than the P5's. I had to hear this for myself, so I look through some of the headphone "rankings" and see that the ATH-M50's are frequently cited as a great pair of headphones for the price point. Luckily, the local Guitar Center carried Audio-Technica gear, so I zipped over there for a listen. I was impressed! I bought them on the spot and decided these would be my "home" headphones and the P5's would be my "on-the-go" headphones. Nice. 

But I'm not exactly a stranger to forums and message boards, and I could tell there was a wealth of headphone knowledge here like no other. Curious, I continued to lurk. I kept coming across threads referring to Grados and the "Grado sound." I was excited to see that these were considered another great pair of headphones for the price, so I decided to see if there were any Grado dealers near me. I located one about 15 minutes away, a local hi-fi shop. I stopped in and - woah - what the hell is all this stuff? DACs? Headphone amplifiers? This is what they were talking about on Head-Fi! Eventually I make my way to the back where the Grados are and start listening. Thanks to Head-Fi, I've already been primed to believe that you either love or hate the Grado sound. Well, I loved it! I bought a pair of the SR80i's and brought them home to join the M50's and P5's. I was quite content with my little headphone collection and couldn't help but feel I was a budding audiophile. 

One other thing about that trip to the hi-fi shop, I had one of the guys working there explain to me what exactly a DAC and headphone amplifier do. He suggested the Audioengine D1 as an entry-level DAC/amp. Upon returning home I jumped online and read some reviews - another great piece of equipment for the price! I was back later that day, and my wallet took another hit. I was very pleased to notice an immediate difference in sound quality, however, and so I was ultimately very happy with my purchase. 

Well, after a couple weeks I realized that I was spending more time at home listening to the SR80i's than anything else, despite their position as my least expensive pair of headphones. Since the P5's were solidified as my portable headphones, the M50's weren't getting much use. So then I thought, "Dude, you clearly don't need three headphones - just return the M50's and use the money to upgrade the Grados!" So I return the M50's and upgrade to the SR325i's. Man, they sounded awesome, especially coming out of the D1. The detail was unbelievable, and although I recognized they were a very bright set of headphones, I enjoyed the sound signature. Now, I have to admit that not everything sounded spectacular on the SR325i's, and since I listen to a lot of different music, I thought, "Hmm, it would be nice to have a complimentary set of headphones for some other genres." I also found myself unable to concentrate on much while I was listening to the SR325i's - they are just so bright, detailed, and aggressive. After a bit of research, I found myself particularly influenced by DavidMahler's extensive review of flagship headphones and his praise for the Beyerdynamic DT880's. As the 600 OHM version was considered the best, I knew I would need a better amp than the D1 to properly drive these cans. The Schitt products had already caught my eye, and so I was happy to see a lot of people pairing the DT880's with the Valhalla. Happy, of course, because now I had a pseudo-excuse to buy more "Schitt." 
wink_face.gif
 I order a pair of the DT880's and the Valhalla. The headphones come first, and I am a bit underwhelmed. It must be the D1, however (I figured it couldn't properly drive the 600 OHM version anyway, which is why I bought the Valhalla). Finally the Valhalla arrives and, once again, I am disappointed. To my ears I guess they were a little too flat and boring. I end up returning the headphones, but I keep the Valhalla, since I enjoyed its sound with my SR325i's. 

At this point, I am still determined to buy a set of "complimentary" headphones. Quick flashback: Prior to the DT880's, I was fortunate to stumble across another hi-fi shop where I was actually able to demo the fabled Sennheiser HD650's. I didn't expect to like the sound signature, as I was led to believe that there is a bit of a dichotomy between those who enjoy the Grado sound and those who enjoy the Sennheiser sound, but as it were I liked it very much. Dark, smooth, but still detailed, they were an excellent candidate to compliment the SR325i's. Why didn't I just get those, you ask? Well, simply put I thought they were just too much money. After my disappointment with the DT880's, however, my mind turned again to the HD650's. I was surprised to see how cheap you could get them if you bought used, and since I already had the Valhalla I decided (a few days ago, actually) to bite the bullet and pick up a pair. 

And so here I am today, waiting for my HD650's to arrive in the mail. Of course, this all explains how it happened, but not exactly why. Fortunately that is a much shorter story: Rediscovering my music collection with each new purchase is just too much fun! I suspect this is how it is for most people, though. My next upgrade will likely be a DAC (I have my eye on the Schiit Bifrost or the Peachtree DAC-IT).

This continues to be a fun ride for me. Somehow I doubt my wallet shares the same sentiment. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #42 of 45
I just started this hobby this year and I was only hoping to get a good IEM to replace the broken ones I had before. Lo and behold, after less than 6 months I got everything in my signature. My wallet never felt this much pain before. I better slow down soon or I will be living in the streets... but who cares as long as I have great listening experience. :-D

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #43 of 45
I got an RS1i as a christmas present. That was supposed to be the do-all end-all set of headphones that lets me be in peace and not need any other personal audio equipment ever again. Oops. A few purchases later I've caught the upgrade-itis. Right now I'm trying to find a solid state amp/preamp with better bass/treble extension. Might end up with a Musical Fidelity M1 HPA.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #44 of 45
I wanted the Denon D2000s, but went straight with the D5000s, mostly because I liked the wood cups better. They were pretty cheap at the time, 350 USDollar!
I still got them, and never upgraded them, instead I bought some cheaper headphones at the side: the Roland RH-300 and Audio Technica ATH-A900X, both have their strenghts and at the moment I like the A900Xs the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back