What did you want to be when you were young?
May 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM Post #46 of 93
When I was a kid I wanted to be retired. I simply hope to make it that far.
k701smile.gif

Starting PhD in september. Hoping the time between starting and ending real work will be short!

May 6, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #47 of 93
Since 4th grade I've wanted to be an Aeronautical engineer. Before that, a marine biologist and a paleontologist. 

May 7, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #49 of 93

Quote:
it would be awesome to play video games for a living

Would it be?

I know a few fellas in the video game testing business and it's like 80% boring 20% fun by their standards. Even when they get a game they want to actually play, they get very limited to access and a lot of the time they have to replay a single part or area ten billion times to find all different kinds of glitches or errors. They get paid decently and they do get some interesting connections through their company as they were able to obtain a classic Street Fighter arcade machine... That's right, two player Street Fighter on an actual arcade machine, although they wouldn't disclose the amount they paid for it to me.

I've met a few guys who do the whole gaming league and sponsor stuff for money and they tend to get constantly stressed as they're hounded to keep up with the competition and win all the time.

May 7, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #52 of 93
I wanted to be a marine biologist as a kid.  Then I got a degree in theater arts.  Then I realized that I didn't want to have to do horrible projects because it put food on my table.  Now I do inventory planning for an online retailer.

As for playing games, yeah...there's testing.  I have several friends who have been in testing, two who still make a career at it.  It's a little different than actually playing a game though, since you're really tracking bugs, seeing what breaks, doing notations, seeing if you can replicate the problem, etc.  And you don't really get to choose what you play.  Like my friend having to test some Hannah Montana game.  He doesn't talk about that one too much.

Now if I could just play whatever game I wanted to and get paid...

May 7, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #53 of 93
I wanted to be a video game tester, but then I thought I wanted to design computers.  I'm an EE working in the power converter industry and I hate it with a passion. 

I've been thinking about what I want to do with my life and there are so many options.  My dream 'job' would be me becoming a self-made billionaire and just bossing people around.  Next in line would be rally car racer and then high-level IT management/consultant.  We'll see which way the wind blows as I grow older...
beerchug.gif

I think the jobs we 'want' are the ones we should keep as hobbies.  And the things that come naturally to us are what we should pursue as careers.

May 7, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #54 of 93
I wanted to be a famous rock musician. I am a rock musician, just not famous.  

May 7, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #56 of 93
I wanted to be a garbage collector. Then a forensic scientist. I was about to do multimedia in university and now I'm over halfway through my structural engineering degree. My how things change.

May 7, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #57 of 93
rockstar
race car driver
pilot
work in africa stopping poaching
work with animals in some way
work for Lego in the design department- making new creations
engineer designing cars
movie director

that's all i can think of.  i'm now working in photography and video so im doing similar things to what i wanted to do

May 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #58 of 93

Well I wanted to do lots of things in my country was impossible (cape verde islands, yes I know you never heard of)
Car racer
Fight pilot (loved f18), lol dreamy dreamy
Scientist

Well I'm in route to be a scientist, 2nd Year PhD student
I still don't have a driver license 

May 7, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #59 of 93
Im 14, and i want to be an entrepreneur making audiophile headphones, which would fall in to going to school for an entrepreneur. But i also REALLY wanting a job, REALLY wanting one. I want to be happy in life but i want to have a job making a lot of money

May 7, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #60 of 93

Quote:
Would it be?

I know a few fellas in the video game testing business and it's like 80% boring 20% fun by their standards. Even when they get a game they want to actually play, they get very limited to access and a lot of the time they have to replay a single part or area ten billion times to find all different kinds of glitches or errors. They get paid decently and they do get some interesting connections through their company as they were able to obtain a classic Street Fighter arcade machine... That's right, two player Street Fighter on an actual arcade machine, although they wouldn't disclose the amount they paid for it to me.

I've met a few guys who do the whole gaming league and sponsor stuff for money and they tend to get constantly stressed as they're hounded to keep up with the competition and win all the time.

pros like t2 and snip3down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back