What did Santa-Fi get you? (CD exchange)
Dec 7, 2004 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Lisa

Headphoneus Supremus
OneMalt and I were paired up together in the Christmas CD exchange and yesterday evening when I was asleep (early night) a package arrived.
So I woke up this morning to find a gift waiting for me. I asked OneMalt and he said it was OK to unwrap it.

He got me Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley

I was very happy to see it. OneMalt picked a CD that he didn't know was on my Christmas list! Nice.
biggrin.gif

Not long after that the doorbell rang and my new Headsave Classic arrived. Wow, it really is Christmas!
Tonight I'm going to initiate my new amp with Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley. And I'll report back on both the CD and the amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very much OneMalt! I'll let you know what I think of the CD later on in this thread.

So what did all you guys get? And how do you like it?
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2004 at 7:26 PM Post #2 of 77
Ahh... I was waiting for this
biggrin.gif
I couldn't resist opening mine, either. I was paired up with skiingemt, and we started off with a few PMs. Described our general likes and dislikes, any particular style we were interested in, and then went from there. He gave me a choice between 3 CDs, but only told me the basic genre.

I received John Frusciante's To Record Only Water for Ten Days. I'd knew who he was, being a fan of RHCP, but I didn't know he'd done any solo work. A note attached to the CD said it was rather low-fi, but that it'd grow on me. So, I popped it into my computer and gave it a listen. First impressions were yes, it was distinctly low-fi. Like a poorly recorded tape that's undergone several generations. However, the music was captivating. So simplistic, yet awesome. Finished the CD and decided to sleep on it. (not literally...) Next day, I had to go into Asheville, so I brought the CD along and listened to it in the car. Car stereos are usually decidedly not audiophile quality, as you know, but in this case, it helped it. The scratchiness disappeared and I was able to just enjoy the music. It was indeed quite beautiful.

Thanks, skiingemt, and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Dec 7, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 77
I received my gift from Jude today and am listening to it right now. Amazon package...so there was no way I could avoid reading what it was unless I left it in the brown cardboard package...but I'm moving soon and it takes up more space than a disc plus...I was EXCITED!!!!! to open it. So I did. I opened it. It is Tord Gustavsen's Trio - Changing Places. Stereophile rated this disc as one of their top for 2003 (or maybe it was 2004). I am on track 4 right now at work and I LOVE IT! It is a wonderful piano trio: Tord on piano, Harald Johnsen on double-bass and Jarle Vespested on drums. I believe this trio is Norwegian. It seems some of the world's best contemporary jazz artists are coming from northen Europe. Anyway, I'm really pleased. For those interested:

ECM 1834 B0000060-2

Thanks a bunch Jude! Wonderful selection.

Dec 8, 2004 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 77
I promised I'd report back on how I like the CD.
I myself couldn't have picked a better one to initiate my new amp with. It's simply beautiful. What a voice Eva Cassidy has! I've listened to it twice last night and enjoyed it A LOT. When listening to Fields of Gold I found myself wiping away a tear.

Thank you very much OneMalt!
This is one of those CD's that belongs in the CDplayer and not in the jewelcase.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 9:54 AM Post #5 of 77
cpw got me some brilliant recordings of Wes Montgomery live with Johnny Griffin on tenor sax, Wynton Kelly on piano, Paul chambers bass, and Jimmy Cobb drums. The album is called "Full House" and it's on the Riverside label. It's "20-bit K2" remastered and sounds great, both musically and sound quality-wise for a live recording from 1962.

Thanks cpw for this awesome cd.

Dec 9, 2004 at 10:46 AM Post #6 of 77
Asterix, Glad you're enjoying the Wes. I actually sent the same one to Tyrion.
I'm anxiously waiting the Kenny Burrell that you sent me.
Tyrion sent me Charlie Hunter "Right Now Move" which is my first Charlie Hunter album. It's really good and something I would have never bought on my own which is the point of the exchange, I think.
He also sent me Monk's Criss-Cross which I'd also never heard. I really like the Monk records I have and can't believe I never bought/ listened to this one before.
Great choices Tyrion. Thanks.
I'll post on the Burrell when it arrives.
CPW

Dec 9, 2004 at 11:07 AM Post #7 of 77
CPW sent me a Kenny Burrell/John Coltane cd as well as a Wes Montgomery cd. I had never heard of Wes Montgomery prior to receiving the disc. The guy can just flat out play. The Burrell/Cotrane disc is another great one. Showing more of my musical ignorance, I had never heard of Kenny Burrell before recieving the cd. I am a big Coltrane fan so this one has gotten extensive play since it arrived. Thanks CPW. Two discs I would never have bought on my own and they are great.

Dec 9, 2004 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 77
skr sent me a jazz cd by Don Byron. Never heard of him/them, but the CD is awesome! skr has been very kind in dealing with me, especially with a minor accidental screwup that happened on my part.
tongue.gif
Thanks again man!

Dec 10, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 77
Lisa, you should try "Songbird" by Eva Cassidy. I've got all of her recordings and this is the only other one that rates up there with "Live at Blues Alley". If only we could have had her in this world for a little longer...

tyrion, check out Wes Montgomery's "Incredible Jazz Guitar" recording (if this isn't the one you received from Santa). No, wait a minute, I should know what Santa sent! But sometimes we have glitches in the database and it's hard to keep track of everything with so many Santa helpers out there...

Dec 10, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #11 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I wonder anyone got Justin Timberlake CD ?

Just wait for nismo96's review...
icon10.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
tyrion, check out Wes Montgomery's "Incredible Jazz Guitar" recording (if this isn't the one you received from Santa).

Actually, the album is called "Full House" and it's the same one I sent to Asterix. If you like Wes and you don't have that one, get it. Highly recommended. I think Acoustic Sounds has an audiophile vinyl version as well as the 20 bit remaster.
Here's a review:
http://www.musthear.com/reviews/fullhouse.html
Incredible Jazz Guitar is really good too. It was recorded 2 yrs earlier and features Tommy Flannagan and Percy Heath.
CPW

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Ouch....

Heh, no I couldn't do that to someone, no matter how much I'd be joking.

and to be relatively on topic, I just got Eva Cassidy's "Live From Blue's Alley" album...and WOW. Lisa I have to say, I wish this would have been on my Christmas list, she is stunning. I know what I'll be listening to all weekend while I'm studying at the library for finals
etysmile.gif

Dec 10, 2004 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 77
hey tyrion... did you get mine yet? they said ~10 days
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back