What did Santa-Fi get you? (CD exchange)
Dec 10, 2004 at 7:05 PM Post #16 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
hey tyrion... did you get mine yet? they said ~10 days
smily_headphones1.gif

Not yet, but I am sure it will be here any day. I will let you know.

Mike

Dec 11, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #17 of 77
I just received my CD from Ben (nismo96), he got me Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer - Music for Two. I'm really excited to listen to this album, since I'll be at the library all day studying for finals. I shall report back later with my thoughts
cool.gif

edit: Ben, thanks a lot for the album, I'm really enjoying this. I've been letting it play all day so far and I'm getting tons of work done! I wasn't sure at first, but it started to grow on me, and I'm definately liking this album now. This is going in my nightly Jazz rotation, excellent choice!

Dec 12, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #18 of 77
Received my surprise package from Zanth yesterday, and out of the white polystyrene peanuts emerged two new CD's for my collection
smily_headphones1.gif

CD 1 is by a Canadian group called "Madrid" titled warm waters apparantly Gordon Lightfoot's son Eric plays the drums with Madrid so they've certainly got some good pedigree in their veins.... I've listened to the album twice since it arrived and I like it very much it's very laid back and mellow with a detached feeling to it.... quite spacy in places with lots of echoey lyrics... just my kinda thing and great music to relax to.... great stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

CD 2 is by another Canadian group called "Broken Social Scene" titled You forgot it in people I haven't had an opportunity to listen to it in full yet but from the very brief skip through of the tracks I think I will really like this one too! Will report back once I've had a good listen to it a few times :)

Thanks Zanth, that was a very well thought out gift and it has certainly opened my eyes to the talent that's on the go over in Canada..... nice one mate, cheers and I wish both you and your family a very merry Christmas indeed.

All the best.

Mike.

Dec 12, 2004 at 11:43 PM Post #20 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
skr sent me a jazz cd by Don Byron. Never heard of him/them, but the CD is awesome! skr has been very kind in dealing with me, especially with a minor accidental screwup that happened on my part.
tongue.gif
Thanks again man!

You are most welcome, Null. I am eagerly awaiting your selection.

Dec 14, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #22 of 77
I received a wonderful "pass-thru" device, otherwise known as PinkFloyd's wonderful passive crossfeed circuit! It is very well built, looks to be high quality all around, including the RCA jacks. I'm going to test this little beauty out tonight!! Woot! I'm excited!

Thank you so very much Mike, this is a very generous gift of your time and money.

Merry Christmas!

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #23 of 77
My pal 00940 sent me a Jacqueline du Pre anthology of cello music that I am hot to hear after I get the spaniels squared away this evening. Thank you so very much, Benoit! I've always been a dog for Yo-Yo Ma.
biggrin.gif

00940: Don't worry, bud, your package shipped out this morning and with $12USD on postage I think you will be getting it soon. Happy Holidays!

Dec 14, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #25 of 77
Phildox sent me a disc by a Canadian band called Microbunny. Very haunting dark female vocals. I am really enjoying it. Not the typical music I listen to. He also burned me a disc of some Asian Underground, Afro Beat, Nu Jazz and I've only begun to listen to it. So far I am enjoying it. Finally, he sent a disc by some DJ. Sorry Phildox, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. All in all, I am very happy. Thanks for broadening my musical horizons!

Dec 14, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #28 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Finally, he sent a disc by some DJ. Sorry Phildox, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. All in all, I am very happy. Thanks for broadening my musical horizons!

Glad you liked Microbunny, I thought you might.
wink.gif

but... DJ Shadow is not just 'some DJ' ... promise me to give it at least a second chance. Endtroducing is one of the greatest pieces of sampled music ever made IMO.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Hmmm, Canadian + haunting + female vocals...this could be very cool. I'll need to check this out!

Definately. Microbunny is great stuff. If you have ever heard King Cobb Steelie, Al Okada from Microbunny used to be their guitar player. It is very nice music and all of the samples used were created by Al himself. They are very good live as well.
cool.gif

Dec 14, 2004 at 4:02 PM Post #30 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
I will give it another try but that just isn't my music. Microbunny and the other disc make up for it.

I know its not what you are used to, but try to listen to it with an open mind... it is quite varied and is definately not your average sampled album. If in the end you cant get into it, your son might like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad you are enjoying Microbunny. They seem to be a group that anyone can like regardless of background. I got my dad listening to them last time he visited.

Let me know what you like from the mixed CD and I can recommend you some similar music. I just realised that I forgot to put 'quantic soul orchestra - stampede' on there... you would have loved that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back