What dac are you using?
Jun 2, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #16 of 29
Using the following DACs and CDPs:

1. Monarchy M24 Tube DAC - one of the best available.
2. California Audio Labs Alpha Tube DAC - also great, close to M24.
3. California Audio Labs Sigma II Tube DAC - another great DAC, close to Alpha.
4. Marantz SA-8001 SACD/CDP - great SS SACD/CDP w phenomenal detail and soundstage.

The tube DACs sound a bit more "realistic," but the black background, pristine, resolution, detail and soundstage of the SA-8001 is great too - it's best with a tube buffer, and tube amp.

These may be the "best sound for the money" (real values) that you can find - especially the M24.

Jun 2, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #17 of 29
DAC1 non-USB - awesome 1 box deal

Twisted Pear Opus Dual Mono w/ Metro - I have acquired a taste for the synergy that this has with my setup. Promoted to be my main DAC for now.

Jun 2, 2008 at 11:32 PM Post #18 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tube DACs sound a bit more "realistic," but the black background, pristine, resolution, detail and soundstage of the SA-8001 is great too - it's best with a tube buffer, and tube amp.

I am sorry I don't know, could you tell me please what "tube buffer" means here?

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #20 of 29
I have the Maxed Dac in My Home HR Amp but not used.

My reference Dac is the Northstar M192 running through an Audio Horizon TP5.0(N) Tube Buffer. The 192 replaced my old Benchmark Dac1 with no regrets.

I also use a RSA Predator for Mobile Listening.

Jun 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by qib /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i'm guessing from the countless number of threads i've been reading that the dac matters and can colour the sound in between the source and the tube amp? So wouldn't it be better to get a neutral dac that does not colour the sound and let the amp do all the colouring? Thoughts please.

Exactly.

The Keces DA-151 that I have is very neutral and I enjoy it a lot with my SOHA.

Check my sig for a pic of the whole system.

Jun 4, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #26 of 29
Used to use a PreSonus Central Station. Loved it, but ended up loving vinyl and SACD more.

Am thinking seriously of buying a Benchmark DAC-1 for its balanced output when I get around to building a balanced amp.

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #27 of 29
Lavry DA10,
though there are some things that I miss about my
Electrocompaniet ECD1... (if Empirical Audio still offered mods on it, I would be all over it and would've never looked back)

Is it just me or does it seem easier to find neutral studio monitors than neutral DAC's in the $1000 or less range?
(I'm not 100% impressed with my Lavry neutrality)

Jun 5, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #29 of 29
iMac->Apogee duet

That being said, I listen mostly to vinyl, so my use of a dac is more as an interface between my computer and my preamp, so the dac/adc combo is great. Since I use Macs, the duet is flawless in it's system integration with iTunes and GarageBand, and that provides a simple way to make high quality rips of vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back