What computer speakers to get?
Apr 9, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #410 of 515
I've heard much praise of this KEF speaker. Glad it works for you.

Without casting aspersions on speakers people here love, I've found that "computer speakers" (intended to be run from the output of sound cards) aren't comparable to powered studio monitors, studio passives, or consumer passives. So you took a giant step up.

It's not only how much speakers cost--it's about the size & quality of the drivers, the enclosure design, crossover quality, and intended "voicing." My Wharfedale Diamond 225s cost ~25% of the ATC SCM12 Pros, but both are very satisfying in their own ways. And both are quite different from computer speakers...

I lived happily w/computer speakers for a long time. Then I read a review in 2007 (of a powered 2.1 system + DAC) in STEREOPHILE, and suddenly realized there was an entire ladder of escalating quality in desktop audio (really hadn't thought about it before). I bought that system (long gone, by now) and never looked back.

@Pharmaboy My primary "source" is my desktop PC with ASUS STX II sound card in it. How would I connect the Diamond 225 speakers to something like that? The card has RCA out, headphone out (1/4), line input (1/4), and coaxial output. Please let me know what you think. I found them on Amazon and like the look and reviews that it's been getting, plus your review. Lemme know man. Thanks!

Apr 9, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #411 of 515
@Pharmaboy My primary "source" is my desktop PC with ASUS STX II sound card in it. How would I connect the Diamond 225 speakers to something like that? The card has RCA out, headphone out (1/4), line input (1/4), and coaxial output. Please let me know what you think. I found them on Amazon and like the look and reviews that it's been getting, plus your review. Lemme know man. Thanks!

That's probably a more than decent sound card. But a soundcard, no matter how good, doesn't amplify the signal being outputted. It really only connects readily to powered speakers/monitors, not passives like these Wharfedales. There are any number of powered monitors that probably sound as good as the Wharfedales, but they'll typically cost a bit more.

Anyway, to make your soundcard work w/these Wharfedales, you'd need to purchase a small amplifier of some kind, taking the RCA output pair from the soundcard, amplifying it, then sending that speaker-level signal via speaker cables to the Wharfedales. But if it was just an amp (ie, no volume or tone controls), that would leave volume control on the computer side, more than likely in the digital domain, which can degrade sonic output (via truncation of bits).

A compact amp/preamp would do all this nicel, including analog volume control. One example: https://hifiheaven.net/shop/PS-Audi...68vNxfogHXXsA0DYdCeBOkxXFlFjEoKBoCdOwQAvD_BwE

Apr 9, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #412 of 515
For computer speakers I am tempted to get a pair of Triangle Elara LN01A's for both (or either) my desktops and laptops. They are active speakers and they offer a Bluetooth option that is pretty much up to par with the current offerings. Since the Triangles can take the 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, I am pretty sure that I would prefer these speakers over the rather traditional offerings.

Jun 26, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #413 of 515
The bass in Edifier s350db is excellent - punchy, clear, no hearable rattling, well balanced. For example, on Edifier S350DB, Stevie Wonder - Superstition sounds remarkably better, alive, wide and unified. The song is "alive". Though that wasnt the case on JBL 305.
I connected JBL305 on AVR UPS, used different 3.5mm to 1/4 TS mono cables (Hosa CMP, even Black Rhodium) - whatever cables ive used they still had a noticeable hiss. They produced hiss when disconnected from sound source, so it was the amp itself that had problems.

As for Edifier S350DB i didnt even had to test different cables. Packaged with the system there are RCA and digital optical cables. Right out of the box ive connected them via bluetooth (aptx supported) and the sound was a pleasure. Then i tried RCA connection to laptop (acer a717g, which has realtek "junk" dac): they performed extremelly well. Clear highs and mids, punchy bass, no rattling, soundstage was open, room was filled with sound (6x4x3m) and there was no distortion on any volume level. For the price - they are remarkable.
You can check the review on youtube (i saw it after buying:)

Bro how does Edifier s350db compares with swan m50w

Jun 26, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #414 of 515
Bro how does Edifier s350db compares with swan m50w

I am leaning more towards having an active speaker set for my computer...

Jun 28, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #418 of 515
I had a pair of modified Yamaha HS7 with the HS8 sub. Then I heard Kefs LS 50W. They were awesome, but expensive, so I looked at LSX. First I thought they were too small, but when I heard them I was sold. I use mine with a Bowers and Wilkins ASW 608. Their depth and imaging is really good.

Jun 29, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #419 of 515
Jul 12, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #420 of 515
In the end i bought Edifier S350DB: excellent connectivity, well balanced dsp switching of lower frequencies to subwoofer, unified sound, nice soundstage... They can compete with three times more expensive speakers. For now i can recommend these as best buy under 500$.
Hi! I'm thinking about buying S350DB speakers as well. Is it ok to connect them to on board audio using 3.5mm analog port? Or do they require dedicated sound card? I have realtek alc887 on Asus prime b350-plus mobo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back