What computer speakers to get?
Feb 4, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #376 of 515
I should have posted this before (just remembered) ... I have a mint pair of ZenPro modded Yamaha HS7s F.S. on Head-Fi right now.

If any questions, feel free to PM me.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #377 of 515
I should have posted this before (just remembered) ... I have a mint pair of ZenPro modded Yamaha HS7s F.S. on Head-Fi right now.

If any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

My left Airmotiv 6s is hissing right now. I need to contact Emotiva to see what they can do.

Depending on what happens, I might need to look for something else. I don't know if I'd want just one and have them be mis-matched brands, or get a new set.

So, stay tuned. There's a chance I could contact you in the future, or go through other recommendations in this thread.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #378 of 515
Good luck w/that Airmotiv issue. Hiss (usually in both monitors) is a thing we all wish to not have in powered monitors. Some hiss routinely @ low levels; others do not.

A suggestion: if you're using the unbalanced inputs to these, try the balanced inputs. Sometimes that does something for hiss.

Feb 4, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #379 of 515
You and me both! I am pretty sure they are going to blow away my Bose set-up (Companion 3 Series II). You have to turn your sub down so much in an apartment, it is useless. Also, I don't listen super loud. The second bedroom is more storeroom than office. This will definitely be nearfield listening at no more than 1/3 of max volume. I just want a "full sound" from two small speakers on my desk. I expect that this will go very well.

Then I want to carry them out to the living room and try the TV. Now that we are back in apartment living the receiver and two large floor standers is overkill. Even with all of that available power on tap, the dialogue is sometimes hard to hear. And I have tried every different setting. Curious about the Vanatoo sound from TV. If it seems to work I might pick up a pair or T1E's in the summer and move the big stuff.

Funny how in my 20's I got so much joy in accumulating stuff and now I get more joy in dumping/downsizing.:smile:

Shane D

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #380 of 515
Got my speakers today. So much smaller than the others I looked at which would have overwhelmed my little desktop.

Set them up soon after arriving and they sucked! Once they warmed up it was a much different story. I took the limiters off and bumped the bass up a little and the treble down a little. These are SO much better than my little Bose 2.1.

They have way more power than I need in this little spot. The volume runs from 7:00 to 5:00. Anything past 11:00 would likely incite a visit from the super. I have them set up on the outside wall (shared with neighbouring apartment) pointing in. Hopefully very little sound transmits to the neighbours.

I am really liking the sound now and definitely will not need a sub.

They are really vibrating the desk. I also ordered Yoga blocks which will be in next week. More isolation definitely wouldn't hurt.

So far, so good.:)

For context, the monitor is 32"

Shane D 20190206_161509.jpg 20190206_161859.jpg

Feb 7, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #382 of 515
Good luck w/that Airmotiv issue. Hiss (usually in both monitors) is a thing we all wish to not have in powered monitors. Some hiss routinely @ low levels; others do not.

A suggestion: if you're using the unbalanced inputs to these, try the balanced inputs. Sometimes that does something for hiss.

I've had these since September 2016. They just started hissing a lot one day last week.

When I was comparing the Emotiva Airmtov 6s and JBL LSR 308 side by side, the JBLs had a little bit of a hum that I couldn't get rid of. The sound was similar between them, but there wasn't any hum from the Airmotiv, so that made my decision.

I haven't contacted Emotiva yet, but will do so soon.

Feb 7, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #383 of 515
Where or how were the limiters configured? And how did you adjust them?

Vanatoo has a "procedure" for making system adjustments. You have to download the manual. I actually had to put the limiters back on as the volume was fluctuating.

Shane D

Feb 9, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #384 of 515
if you can splurge the newer KEF LSX speakers (mini LS50 wireless) look great...
they're Roon ready, too.
right now i'm using a pair of Sonos play 1 i got for us$150, so can't complain given the price.
(my desktop is also my kitchen table...so not like i'm doing critical listening while surfing on laptop
or cooking a meal.)

Feb 10, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #385 of 515
I've had JBL LSR 305 connected to PC via Micca Origen g2 DAC/preamp. Sound quality was excellent, though they were somehow "twangy" (high pitch). Stereo imaging was supreme, slighty lack of bass. Ive disbanded them cause i couldnt get rid of constant hiss.
Bought Mackie MR524 - no hiss, decent stereo imaging, lack of bass (punch). Flat. Decent solution for desktop speakers. After those ive tested Edifier S1000DB - they had similar hiss problem as JBL 305 (less hiss but noticeable on desktop). Edifier S880DB - was on par with Vanatoo T0, just a slight lack of bass.
In the end i bought Edifier S350DB: excellent connectivity, well balanced dsp switching of lower frequencies to subwoofer, unified sound, nice soundstage... They can compete with three times more expensive speakers. For now i can recommend these as best buy under 500$.

Feb 10, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #386 of 515
I've had JBL LSR 305 connected to PC via Micca Origen g2 DAC/preamp. Sound quality was excellent, though they were somehow "twangy" (high pitch). Stereo imaging was supreme, slighty lack of bass. Ive disbanded them cause i couldnt get rid of constant hiss.
Bought Mackie MR524 - no hiss, decent stereo imaging, lack of bass (punch). Flat. Decent solution for desktop speakers. After those ive tested Edifier S1000DB - they had similar hiss problem as JBL 305 (less hiss but noticeable on desktop). Edifier S880DB - was on par with Vanatoo T0, just a slight lack of bass.
In the end i bought Edifier S350DB: excellent connectivity, well balanced dsp switching of lower frequencies to subwoofer, unified sound, nice soundstage... They can compete with three times more expensive speakers. For now i can recommend these as best buy under 500$.

I too had a problem with a hiss in the JBL LSR 308 (similar model).

How was the bass in the Edifiier?

How would you recommend connecting them from a computer? What type of connection and cables?

I also see there's a S350DB which is part of their computer speaker line.

There's only a 2 year warranty though.

The current Emotiva that I have have a 5 year warranty.

I don't know if I'll need new ones, I need to try the trouble shooting steps Emotiva told me on Friday. But having information on some alternatives is a good idea, for me.

Feb 11, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #387 of 515
I too had a problem with a hiss in the JBL LSR 308 (similar model).
How was the bass in the Edifiier?
How would you recommend connecting them from a computer? What type of connection and cables?
I also see there's a S350DB which is part of their computer speaker line.
There's only a 2 year warranty though.
The current Emotiva that I have have a 5 year warranty.
I don't know if I'll need new ones, I need to try the trouble shooting steps Emotiva told me on Friday. But having information on some alternatives is a good idea, for me.

The bass in Edifier s350db is excellent - punchy, clear, no hearable rattling, well balanced. For example, on Edifier S350DB, Stevie Wonder - Superstition sounds remarkably better, alive, wide and unified. The song is "alive". Though that wasnt the case on JBL 305.
I connected JBL305 on AVR UPS, used different 3.5mm to 1/4 TS mono cables (Hosa CMP, even Black Rhodium) - whatever cables ive used they still had a noticeable hiss. They produced hiss when disconnected from sound source, so it was the amp itself that had problems.

As for Edifier S350DB i didnt even had to test different cables. Packaged with the system there are RCA and digital optical cables. Right out of the box ive connected them via bluetooth (aptx supported) and the sound was a pleasure. Then i tried RCA connection to laptop (acer a717g, which has realtek "junk" dac): they performed extremelly well. Clear highs and mids, punchy bass, no rattling, soundstage was open, room was filled with sound (6x4x3m) and there was no distortion on any volume level. For the price - they are remarkable.
You can check the review on youtube (i saw it after buying:)

Feb 11, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #388 of 515
After I have heard the Kef LSX I'm sold. I will use them with a Bowers and Wilkins 608 sub. I'm not sure the small subs Kef make dig deep enough. I have been very satisfied with my modded Yamahas, but then I heard Kef .
The soundstage and depth blew me away. I would like the LS 50,to my surround, but they are expensive. Choices choices.:o2smile:

Feb 12, 2019 at 6:12 PM Post #389 of 515
Just to follow up, I am REALLY enjoying my Vanatoo Zero's. The sound is great and the size is even better. I didn't expect much from active speakers, but these really do perform. They do need some isolation from the desk when rocking hard with Grandson, Rival Sons and Fidlar. Horns sound great with Miles Davis, Jimmy Smith and Freddie Hubbard. Today I have been running through vocals from Florence and the Machine, Neil Diamond, Aretha Franklin and Adele. Very impressive.

Also, with no sub, I can play them louder. They are pointing at the living room wall and my wife can't hear them until she comes down the hallway. Haven't checked with the neighbour though...

Shane D

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #390 of 515
One last update as the system is now complete:

Now elevated. It makes a huge difference, but not just the angle.
smile.gif
Just one Yoga block flat is four inches high. I think with the speaker angle that is enough. The really big deal is the isolation from the desk. These can now really go off without shaking the whole desk and creating a rumble. Now you can just feel the bass pop when called upon. Keep in mind that I am not a bass head.

Some numbers:
My desk is 28 inches off the floor.
I am 6ft with a long torso.
The top of my speaker is now 40" off the floor
Just got my wife to measure floor to middle ear = 49"
Just did another test with a level from tweeter to my head. The tweeter is actually shooting above my ear. If I fold over my very thin Vanatoo cushion and place it under the rear of the speaker it gets me perfect treble to ear alignment. While my wife stands there giving me an "I am married to an idiot!" look.
biggrin.gif

Assuming my table is average height, you only need two Yoga blocks, one for each speaker. I went with the standard 9" X 6" X 4". There are different styles available. They were $12.00 a pair on Amazon.ca

With the volume button, one dot is off. I would never hit two dots in an apartment. You would be that guy. Hated by neighbours and eventually evicted.

They sound great and I am thrilled. Total landed cost, with tax, was about $550.00 in Canuck bucks.

New Blocks.jpg

Shane D
Attached Thumbnails

Users who are viewing this thread

Back