What component's do you believe make a difference?
Mar 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #106 of 122
redbluepill.jpg

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #108 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read my statement again, I suggested that I can also use subjective terms too. Of course those are purely impressions at best.

As for distortion . . . you've never heard a poor quality system distort with music? Or for example really poor quality car subs being blared on the street?

If not I envy you, your ears have been sheltered.

As for the recordings, it depends if we're talking technical merit or taste. Taste is truly subjective. Technical merit though I'd suggest dynamic range, low noise ratio, proper mixing techniques, levels, etc.

Well here we go again, SOUND QUALITY is SUBJECTIVE, It's how it's perceived by the listener.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #109 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was kind of hoping this thread would be more of a survey then a flame war about cables.

It happens every time. Until " Proof " ends the battle, the war will remain. Shame that threads got to sh1t as soon as the word CABLE is mentioned. It's like watching a bad movie and eating stale popcorn, in the end it's a lose lose situation.
popcorn.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #110 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was kind of hoping this thread would be more of a survey then a flame war about cables.

Maybe the thread should have been titled, "What component's do you believe make - THE MOST - difference?"; even the cable proponents generally agree that they're just for "fine-tuning" or "tweaking" the sound, and therefore can't make the "most" difference?

Mar 23, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #111 of 122
The chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Every component right from the power source to the listener's brain is important.....some people may not be able to make out the differences, just have deep pockets to buy hi-fi stuff for emotional benefits, but that does not change scientific facts.

Right from the source to the brain - there are losses & variations, how you manage those losses & variations is the gist of the Audiophilia game.

Mar 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #113 of 122
So what say folks?.....new entrepreneur ideas:

1) Audiophile body oil
2) Audiophile earwax cleaning solution
3) Audiophile cement
4) Audiophile paint
5) Audiophile health diet
6) Audiophile clothing
7) Audiophile men's/women's dressing accessories
8) Audiophile *AIR*

Am not kidding !!!...either way there's lots of interesting research to do or scores of idiots to rob !! :p

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #114 of 122
I cannot contribute to these debates.

Why. Because I've not got through enough equipment to post a worthwhile opinion.

I think my system sounds great, it didn't cost me much, and as a result I don't buy new stuff because I'm so happy with it. A positive side effect is I spend all my money on new (old) music, wine and holidays instead of cables.

I'm wondering if people that are constantly tinkering with their system and buying new equipment all the time are not enjoying their music enough, although I have room interaction/speaker issues and could do with a more powerful amp (but who doesn't?).

Perhaps you could review what music you're listening to and check out something different.

This isn't a particularly scientific post for a science forum, but looking back through this thread, not many other posts have been either.

Watch this and tell me if these guys give two sticks about what cables they used ....
YouTube - Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop Live 1973
From the 'thumpasorous-peoples-funk-appreciation-thread'

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/au...39/index2.html
"Fuse direction matters. The difference is usually discernable without trying to listen too hard."

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #115 of 122
Some people have an amazing tolerance for listening critically for differences in tweaks and components. I get a little enjoyment out of it because listening to the same music with tweaks can be like looking at different facets of the same stone, and you learn more about the music that way. Or a better analogy, hearing the same thing with different ears, especially with headphone swapping.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:50 PM Post #116 of 122
Shark_Jump,
We all have a common pursuit and that's one for happiness. How much we focus on a particular source of happiness will determine how much we put into it. Do you genuinely feel that you're better off spending your money on other stuff to get this same pleasure/happiness?
smily_headphones1.gif
Some think they are better off because they have money to spend 'at all', while others would beg to disagree. That 'other stuff', whether it be wine, holidays or whatever it is, has no superior intrinsic value. It's all in the eye of the beholder. So in your eyes, a holiday with some wine gets you going more than a cable upgrade. Fine. For others, it may well be that cable or other gear upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #117 of 122
Sure to each their own. However I have to say that personally I'm never really happy being happy, so its not a total pursuit of mine.
confused_face.gif

I just want to be sure some guys haven't got too narrow vision in their music choices, which is causing 'upgraditus' due to unsatisfaction, there is so much music out there to explore.

Just try something different. If your into Macy Grey, checkout some 70's Funk or Northern Soul, or Prog Rock if you like Radiohead, or a new hobby if you like Lady Ga Ga (sorry, only joking)

I watched a great movie about this yesterday. Where a Uni Proffessor into classical piano who has lost his way in life gets into the African drums its called The Visitor'

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:07 PM Post #118 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
'upgraditus' due to unsatisfaction

well, you got a point that mainstream rock music playing the loudness war completely defeats the whole purpose of having high end gear.

I don't listen to rock, but the latest album from Lee Fields is unbearable on CD...everything's clipping to death and sounds loud and flat as can be
frown.gif

I whined to his manager, and he told me that I should buy the vinyl if I don't like the CD mastering...pathetic.

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #119 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in your eyes, a holiday with some wine gets you going more than a cable upgrade. Fine. For others, it may well be that cable or other gear upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif

What's your HiFi shop address? I'll send you a postcard.
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #120 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your HiFi shop address? I'll send you a postcard.
bigsmile_face.gif

Ha!! I wish I had one selling some nice cables.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back