What Component (To You) Has The Biggest Impact On The Sound Of A System?
Aug 3, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #91 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=large]1. Headphones[/size]
[size=medium]2. Source[/size]
3. Amp
[size=xx-small]4. Cables[/size]

I have to side with Azure, here. One caveat would be, that when I had a setup that was pretty nice and added any one component and the setup got better, I would tend to give that one component too much credit.

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #92 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ED9s and an RPX-33. Good cans and amp, no?

They sound like crap because my PC source is crap. I hear every click, pop, ting and zizz through the cans everytime I move the mouse. This is with the AV710.

Through a cheap DVD player they sound great.

Source first for me.

Furthermore, the DVD player with my RPX-33 and a standard KSC-75 is more enjoyable than the PC with RPX and ED9.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #93 of 131
Quote:

That why "build your system around transducers."

This goes for speakers and headphones.

Aug 3, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #94 of 131
I don't have the motivation or energy to read through all of the posts in this thread, so forgive if I repeat anything here:

1) Recording quality of the CD I am listening to.
2) Headphones.
3) Source & Amplifier (tied).
Large gap.
4) Interconnects.
Large gap.
5) Power Conditioning.

To start with, good to great recordings are paramount in determining how good your musical listening experience will be. Bad recordings and low bitrate MP3s are going to sound like crap regardless of how amazing your rig is.

The next most important component IMHO is tracking down the proper headphones that will best suit your needs, tastes, listening habits, comfort requirements, budget and preferred music genres. You need to establish what house sound suits you best, and then go from there. Otherwise you are just pissing in the wind.

The next step is to have a decent source and ample amplifier to do justice to your quality recordings and allow your preferred headphones to shine and perform to their fullest extent. Some sort of a transport/sound card with bit perfect out to an affordable, yet decent quality DAC has always been good enough for me. The important part with the amplifier is determining if a tube amp or solid state amp will work best (according to your own ears) with your preferred headphone(s), then go from there. Then purchase your amplifier of choice that fits within your budget.

Finally, decent yet affordable interconnects and power cords aren't a bad idea. I personally never saw any point in investing money in anything higher than Bluejeans cables. I would rather spend $500 on a new pair of headphones instead of an uber boutique level interconnect.

If you are bored, and want one final tweak for your rig, you can look into decent, yet affordable power conditioning/surge suppression. I went this route, and although I didn't detect any sort of perceivable change in sound quality, it is nice to have piece of mind that my equipment is protected, and that any 'dirty' electricity or spikes coming into my house are 'supposedly' cleaned up before it reaches my rig.

So in summary (and to answer the original question):

Assuming the CD I am listening to has excellent recording/mastering quality, Headphones (by far) have always had the biggest impact on the sound of my system.

Aug 3, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #95 of 131
Today I discovered that source upgrades provide a very nice improvement if the amp / 'phones are up to revealing that improvement.

My Planet arrived and it really does sound wonderful in the rig in my sig.

That being said, the same amp / 'phones sounded good with my old Denon DCD-615.

My conclusion? Weakest link and all that.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #96 of 131
^So you would put source under Amp/Headphones?

Aug 5, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #97 of 131
Well, my experience was:
- Denon + LDII+ + K-501 = very nice
- Denon + LDII+ + HD-650 = very, very nice
- Denon + GS Solo + K-501 = very nice + bass
- Denon + GS Solo + HD-650 = very, very nice - veil
- Rega Planet 2000 + GS Solo + HD-650 = my goodness that's amazing!
- Rega Planet 2000 + GS Solo + K-501 = good but not great in comparison to above!

So from that? Source gave me the biggest upgrade. But only when the 'phones and amp were up to it.

Aug 5, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #98 of 131
For SQ I'd say bitrate>source>headphone>amp>interconnects

For sound sig I'd say headphone>amp>source>interconnects

Aug 5, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #99 of 131
Quote:

Recording quality of the CD I am listening to.

Glad you pointed this out. We are so gear obsessed we forget that garbage in equals garbage out.

This was made clear to me years ago with the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs direct vinyl pressings. They were, are still are, awesome.

Today I like SACD and DVD-A along with HDCD which comes close in several ways.

Aug 5, 2007 at 11:58 PM Post #100 of 131
When building a room sound system A rule of thumb is to spend 50% of your budget on speakers. I see no reason why, when building a headphone system, a different percentage should apply. So with that said, phones would be the most important component.

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #101 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rise To The Top /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which component of a headphone rig has the biggest impact on sound? Is it the headphone, the amp, or the source? Or even cables (in Patrick's case). Discuss.

1° - source, very very important

2° and 3° - amp + headphones

I don't know about cables

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #102 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming your source is not a Fisher price Mr Microphone....
Cans>source>amp>(big gap)>cables

x2. It's the cans or the speakers, first. Then the source. Definitely cables and power conditioning last.

Aug 19, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #103 of 131
1.source (headphones equal first)
2.amp
3.cables

my reason for number 1's is because music will sound crap with poor of any! if you have a crap source its pointless having good headphones and if you have a superb source its pointless having crap headphones,to enjoy music you need to have a decent product of both and then the amp and cables will further refine the sound to your taste if you are that thorough.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #105 of 131
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
source as the name suggests, it is the starting point from which the music arises. without a strong source, the rest is pointless.

My sentiments exactly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back