What component in the sound chain makes the biggest impact?
May 25, 2011 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
This is assuming a minimum level of quality from all components in the chain ie. headphones in the hd650/k702 price range, amps in the graham slee solo/lehmann black cube price range and dac's in the dac1/da10 price range and mp3's from 320kbps to lossless.

Asumming this quality level - does your choice of headphones, amp or source make the biggest impact on the sound signature of your setup.

Advocates of the 'source first' approach always come up with the same old '64kbps mp3's will even make Grado PS1000 sound like crap' argument, so it's a given that you need high quality files to start with.

I think that there is much less variance within mid-high level dac's and amps than within mid-high level headphones. For example I would notice a bigger difference between a K702 vs HD650 with both running through a Graham Slee Solo than using the same headphone through a Lehmann Black Cube Linear vs Graham Slee Solo.

That's just IMHO - what do you guys think?

May 25, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 24
Well of course, you would hear a much bigger difference headphone vs headphone. Amps aren't made for transforming your headphones into different ones, just to make them better. I say:

1. Headphones
2. File
3. DAC
4.Amp

May 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 24
Surely it's not about the amps transforming the headphones, but the extend to which the headphones or amp can transform the music?

And given the quality assumptions above I think headphones can transform the music WAY more noticeably than any other component. I will freely admit to never being able to blind test the difference between a single mid-high quality DAC or amp. I've never heard tube amps but I'm guessing I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between tube and solid state. Headphones, however are a different story.

But maybe that's just my ears.

May 25, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 24
Headphones is the #1 way to improve your chain. By a long shot. But then you'll have all those who swear by an amp to make your headphones sound better, especially high end headphones. Source can be really important too, but I don't go as far as vinyl. For me, my DAC has been my least important part of my rig, but that's just because it's built into my CD player and it might already be really good.

May 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 24

Assuming the same music being played:

1: Headphones

2: Amp

3: Source

Source and amp may swing in an analog system. 

Quote:
I've never heard tube amps but I'm guessing I wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between tube and solid state. 

Dont sell yourself short there. 

A lot of this depends on the amp, but for the most part its easy to differentiate between a tube or SS amp, and even between tube amps!

Part of the problem with this (for me at least) is that so many SS amps sound so similar, where there are tons of differences in tubes. This makes complete sense!

Most SS amps are designed on a measurements first basis - does it measure well? If it measures well you dont even need to listen to it which IMO is the best thing you can do with an SS amp. If it measures poorly you better not listen to it or show it to anyone least you be labeled a Luddite.

Tube amps on the other hand are generally designed by ear which allows a LOT of room for the designers personal preferences. On a measurements first basis the differences are caused by elevated distortion levels, limited bandwidth, high output impedance, OR other interesting problems BUT the amps are interesting and audibly different. 

May 25, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 24

Quote:
Well of course, you would hear a much bigger difference headphone vs headphone. Amps aren't made for transforming your headphones into different ones, just to make them better. I say:

1. Headphones
2. File
3. DAC
4.Amp

Agreed, as long as there isn't some terrible mismatch between headphones and amp (i.e. noticable underdriving, clipping, etc.)

May 25, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 24
I'll have to quote this for truth.  Amp should be the last thing to alter the sound, after-all, they're supposed to be the most transparent piece of equipment.

Quote:

1. Headphones
2. File
3. DAC
4.Amp

May 25, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #9 of 24
Fundamental/ 0 th: Source file, you cannot make a terribly compressed file sound any better by buying better headphones/DAC/Amp/Cable/Elf gear.
No. 1 is always the headphones.
No. 2 is always DAC or amp.
No. 3 is cables if you believe them.
No. 4 is magical elf made stones and markers. < a total must though

DAC or amp really depends on the existing setup, headphone pairing and many factors. However I do think after you have got a reasonable quality DAC you should be looking in the amp direction then. If the DAC is bad, I would upgrade the DAC before any amp. Therefore they both share the second spot in their own right depends on the situation.

May 25, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #11 of 24
So if I already have a HD650 (currently I can't use them as I don't have an amp) and only have an ipod through line out dock as a source - should I;

1). buy a Fiio E9 and use the iPod as a DAC so I can actually use my HD650

or

2). buy a better dac than the ipod and save up for an amp later (and let the HD650 collect dust for a bit longer...)

May 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
So if I already have a HD650 (currently I can't use them as I don't have an amp) and only have an ipod through line out dock as a source - should I;

1). buy a Fiio E9 and use the iPod as a DAC so I can actually use my HD650

or

2). buy a better dac than the ipod and save up for an amp later (and let the HD650 collect dust for a bit longer...)

Using headphones > Not using headphones

May 25, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Your ears....

exactly
beerchug.gif
. Try listening to your headphones a sunday morning after a restful night and you'll see how much impact it has. Brain+human ears= heaviest distortion machine
wink.gif

May 25, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #15 of 24
music files>headphones>source/DAC>cables/cords

That said, it's all part of an entire system and to a good degree will sound only as good as the weakest link. Also, synergy is a big part too.

I also don't totally agree that solid state is inherently bad or worse sounding. Nor do I think they all sound the same. I've had or listened to many well implemented solid states and they do each sound different. I do agree though that tube amps have greater sound variances. I believe the tube vs solid state debate is more a matter of preference. As is the rest of the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back