What Can I Get With My $350? (Considering Q701 and HD 650)
Jan 24, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #31 of 51
The Q701 is great and if you pair it with a Desktop amp + Dac from Fii0 should do you nicely for about $350 total. The cans are for the most past neutral sounding with a little more in the highs although the bass lacks some impact the actual sound is still great. I use the Fii0 e17 + e09k which helps give a bit of a warm feel to them. I have not used the 650s but if you don't want to go over $350 after getting an amp which is pretty much needed to get the most out of what your buying.

Jan 25, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #32 of 51
Having tried all those headphones mentioned, i would think that, if you are looking for something for portable use, theres no point in the open headphones mentioned. However, if, like tou said, you are going to be using it predominantly at the desk, the X2 is probably your best bet. To me, and a couple of others i know and trust, the X2 has managed to take over the classic trio (hd600, dt880, k712) at a lower price. Buy from the right places and theyre less than 250usd shipped.

Yes the X2 definitely sounds better amped, but unlike the classic trio, it sounds good even running straight out of the phone. Its one of my favourite headphones to date, and i dont think you could fo wrong getting them :)

Jan 25, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #33 of 51
Thanks for the extra push WCDchee.

I did in fact decide to snag the X2s and a dragonfly V1

If I don't like one or the other I will return them. For now, I am just really excited to receive them!!!

You guys have been a massive help. Thanks.

I'll let you know whether I fall in love with them or not sometime this next weekend.

Jan 25, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #35 of 51
Thanks for the extra push WCDchee.

I did in fact decide to snag the X2s and a dragonfly V1

If I don't like one or the other I will return them. For now, I am just really excited to receive them!!!

You guys have been a massive help. Thanks.

I'll let you know whether I fall in love with them or not sometime this next weekend.

Great choice. And also an excellent choice on the Dragonfly as well. I love mine. Enjoy some great budget audiophile sound!

Jan 25, 2015 at 7:07 PM Post #36 of 51
Just my luck.

Amazon just ran out for the x2s today and wont get them back for a few weeks. 

I can't find anyone else that sells that would let me return them if I don't like them. 

I may just snag the HP50s if I can't find a pair. Also, if I snag the Hp50s, that means I have an extra $50. should i use that extra 50 to get a dragonfly 1.2 in place of the v1

Feb 15, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #37 of 51
UPDATE!

Long story short, I got my hands on some sennheiser momentums as the X2s were out of stock. Fantastic headphones. I love them. I couldn't avoid buying the X2s when they came back in stock though. So I bought a pair and a Schiit Fulla DAC/AMP. They are crisper, sound more put together on the louder end than the Sennheisers and have that open sound I've never experienced before. A sound that allows the music to leave my ear once it is played instead of bouncing around inside the cushions for a while.   Unfortunately, they are also itchy, clunky, and not as comfortable. Honestly, I like features of both sounds so I'm not hugely swayed by one or the other. The comfort of the Momentums is amazing though. 

Sooooo, I don't know what to do. The HD 600s are on sale so I could snag those and 

Definately keeping the Fulla AMP though (would it be enough to power 600s?)

Does the itchiness go away?

I’m trying to decide if that great sound (but not AMAZING per-say) is worth the extra $150

P.S. I'm curious. When I got the X2s for a lot of tunes at first it sounded like there were little crackles in the back. I burned them in by playing them stragithw hile i was at work and asleep for a few days. But I don't know if those noises went away because I burned them in or becuase I got the DAC/AMP.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #38 of 51
  UPDATE!

Long story short, I got my hands on some sennheiser momentums as the X2s were out of stock. Fantastic headphones. I love them. I couldn't avoid buying the X2s when they came back in stock though. So I bought a pair and a Schiit Fulla DAC/AMP. They are crisper, sound more put together on the louder end than the Sennheisers and have that open sound I've never experienced before. A sound that allows the music to leave my ear once it is played instead of bouncing around inside the cushions for a while.   Unfortunately, they are also itchy, clunky, and not as comfortable. Honestly, I like features of both sounds so I'm not hugely swayed by one or the other. The comfort of the Momentums is amazing though. 

Sooooo, I don't know what to do. The HD 600s are on sale so I could snag those and 

Definately keeping the Fulla AMP though (would it be enough to power 600s?)

I’m trying to decide if that great sound (but not AMAZING per-say) is worth the extra $150

P.S. I'm curious. When I got the X2s for a lot of tunes at first it sounded like there were little crackles in the back. I burned them in by playing them stragithw hile i was at work and asleep for a few days. But I don't know if those noises went away because I burned them in or becuase I got the DAC/AMP.

Do not play any headphone straight for days like that... If you want to do burn-in, limit play time to 5 hours only... I suggest you return them for examination.

As for the sound, I'd say that the HD600 offer very different sound signature. They do require great amps, and I don't know if the Schitt is enough (have no experience with them).

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #39 of 51
According to spec the fulla will do 110 dB with the hd600

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #40 of 51
  Do not play any headphone straight for days like that... If you want to do burn-in, limit play time to 5 hours only... I suggest you return them for examination.

As for the sound, I'd say that the HD600 offer very different sound signature. They do require great amps, and I don't know if the Schitt is enough (have no experience with them).

Why would you return them for examination?

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #43 of 51
The pads. The pads are itchy on my skin. 

I have had similar experiences with other headphones. It does get better over time, especially if you was them but don't expect miracles. If it is unacceptable as-is you should think about another solution for pads or headphones

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #44 of 51
I have had similar experiences with other headphones. It does get better over time, especially if you was them but don't expect miracles. If it is unacceptable as-is you should think about another solution for pads or headphones

I'm leaning toward returning the X2s at this point. Even though they are tanfastic. The momentum's have the added capability of travel (though I most likely wont wear them out too often) and are more comfortable. They do have that closed sound though (which is why im tempted to give the hd 600s a try). 

If I amplify the momentum's too much via the Fulla, is it possible to damage them? 

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #45 of 51

I'm leaning toward returning the X2s at this point. Even though they are tanfastic. The momentum's have the added capability of travel (though I most likely wont wear them out too often) and are more comfortable. They do have that closed sound though (which is why im tempted to give the hd 600s a try). 

If I amplify the momentum's too much via the Fulla, is it possible to damage them? 

Just don't use them as speakers then I think you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back