What Can I Get With My $350? (Considering Q701 and HD 650)
Jan 18, 2015 at 3:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

noname2020x

New Head-Fier
Noob Here. I recently got a bit of a bonus and seeing as I love music more than anything else in the universe I figured I would upgrade my headphones. To give you a little bit of a backgroud, I have enjoyed my use with the following headphones:

SteelSeries Siberia v2 (Gaming Headset) : These babies felt amazing on my head. They felt crisp in the right places and smooth in the right place. They may have been too smooth in the right places though, and they didn't get loud enough. 

Logitech G930 (Gaming Headest): This is what I currently own. They feel pretty good, but can leave my head squished and hot after long listening. They sound pretty good all around, but they also lack some crisp everywhere but bass. The 7.1 is glorious for games and I really dig it for certain music (I don't know how it processes it to make it sound different, but it's nice. anyway to replicate that with other phones?) . 

Klipsch s4 (In-Ear): These may be my favorite headphones. They are smooth everywhere, but not too smooth. It seems like maybe they don't have a huge range, but I haven't listened with them for a bit. They make me feel like I'm completely alone with the music. There are definitely songs with them that lack the quickness and the crispiness that I desire though. 

Brainwavz S1 (In-Ear): These are my current phones for walking around. At first, I fell in love with them. Everything sounded like I was listening out of professional phones at a studio. After a while, they got to me a little bit. They seem too... crisp. Which is odd, because my complaint with the other phones tended to be a lack of crispiness. I still think they are gorgeous for certain tunes (especially things like dubstep and house), but not too great up high because my ears start to bleed. 

Music I dig: I listen mostly to modern indie/folk, but I adore classical music, and have been know to jam out to metal from time to time. I also listen to some skrillex and monstercat sometimes and can't get away from old school jersey punk. 
Classical tunes played just right and recorded just right where the nylon strings sound velvety but absolute give me the chills.
Rage Against the Machine played just right where the bass has a loud crisp start and a slower end makes me want to headbang and have my headphones fly off. 

That's me. I come here for help, because I am a nooby. 
I'm looking at the HD 650 and the Q 701 (Quincy Jones) as both seem to be killer cans and both are on sale. The 650s are 295 and the 701s are 185. From what I've read, my main fear for the 701s is a lack of bass, but I also would rather not throw down that much on the 650s (and a lot of people seem to prefer the 600s anyway... why?). Also, apparently for the best experience I need an amp and I have NO IDEA where to start there. 

Let me know what your thoughts are. I'm trying to snag something quick though as these sales will most likely soon disappear

Thanks!. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 51
P.S.

This is also very tempting as I also record some of my own tunes, but I only have a USB usb at2020 mic. 

"Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250Ohms Dynamic Closed Headphone, - Bundle With Tascam DR-22WL 2-Channels Handheld Audio Recorder with Wi-Fi"

http://www.adorama.com/BDDT770P250A.html

P.P.S. Could a desktop amp also be used as a sort of pre-amp for my guitar into my computer?

Jan 18, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 51
I'm also tempted to snag this:

"Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250Ohms Dynamic Closed Headphone, - Bundle With Tascam DR-22WL 2-Channels Handheld Audio Recorder with Wi-Fi"

from Adorama at $205 because I also record music at home and all I have for that is a USB AT2020 microphone. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 51
Based on what I have read the phillips X1 might be good, though I'm not sure if it is crisp enough.
Else, there's the dt990 or perhaps HE-400 which sports a v-shaped response (treble and bass). But it is hard to say whether you'll find the treble to be too much.

AKG k702 could be a decent choice as it is very clear sounding, though it might lack in bass. There are some mods out there that might help though.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 51
DT770 250 has the least bass of the dt770 variations. But dt770 is definitely a viable option.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 51
I would say based on your experience with headphones and sound preferences, Q701 or any of the K7XX series of AKG headphones are out of the question, as they are harder to drive and brighter than your tastes.

Your best options would be a HD650 (Sept 2014 and after revision) and Philips X2. The Philips is easier to drive and you won't even need an amp.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #7 of 51
Woah. After watching some videos and reading some reviews that Philips X2 seems like exactly what I want in a headphone. A present but not overwhelming bass and an accurate but not too crisp overall level sound with awesome soundstage.

How loud does it get without an amp? One of my biggest complaints about my current set (G930) is that it doesn't get loud enough.

How much better does it sound with an amp? How much would an amp be, etc.? Also, I will be using my computer to listen with it 95% of the time. Should I get a sound card?

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #8 of 51
  Woah. After watching some videos and reading some reviews that Philips X2 seems like exactly what I want in a headphone. A present but not overwhelming bass and an accurate but not too crisp overall level sound with awesome soundstage.

How loud does it get without an amp? One of my biggest complaints about my current set (G930) is that it doesn't get loud enough.

How much better does it sound with an amp? How much would an amp be, etc.? Also, I will be using my computer to listen with it 95% of the time. Should I get a sound card?

You could get an DAC/Amp combo, like FiiO E18, Schiit Fulla, or AudioQuest Dragonfly.

However, the Philips X2 sound just fine without an amp out of even an iPhone.

The sound card or DAC (I prefer external DAC) would make a bigger difference in sound quality for you than an amp will in case of the X2, because out of a computer, on-board sound cards are usually not up to the job :)

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #11 of 51
  I'm really close to pulling the trigger on all of these so any feedback would be fantastic. Both from kapanak (thanks for your help so far already btw) and others!

Thanks!

I honestly would advise against a sound card if you are after sound quality. Sound cards come with other good features like virtual surround, or sound processor to take load off CPU or microphone input and line in and 7.1 outputs.

You'd be better served with a dedicated DAC or DAC/Amp.

Your choice of the Philips X2 will not disappoint. However, one note of caution, if you feel that your head is much smaller than average, then the X2 won't be comfortable. For medium to large to XL heads, X2 is a nice fit.

Jan 19, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 51
The Focal Spirit Professional is $349 and doesn't need an amp, but scales with one. I am actually considering getting one I see on eBay from a Chinese seller for $215, which is brand new, but only includes the headphones and portable cable, without the box, longer coiled cable, and accessories. I was interested in some of the headphones you are considering, but pretty much crossed them off my wish list after spending a lot of time reading about the FSP. It does have some comfort and build quality issues, though.

If possible, audition the headphones before making a final decision, or at least buy from a store with a good return policy, to minimize your risk.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 51
A sound card will make it sound worse than my motherboard??? That doesn't make much sense. I'm going to be using the headphone primarily (95% of the time) on my computer. I'm confused.

Crap. I do have a smaller head. Hmmm, maybe I can test them out some place near me. What places might allow me to test out headphones? I don't have any large chain music stores near me (state college pa). 

The focal spirit professinal's do seem pretty awesome, but if the x2s dont work out id be more tempted to get the NAD VISO HP50s which apparently also don't need an amp and have a more open can sound.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #14 of 51
  A sound card will make it sound worse than my motherboard??? That doesn't make much sense. I'm going to be using the headphone primarily (95% of the time) on my computer. I'm confused.

Crap. I do have a smaller head. Hmmm, maybe I can test them out some place near me. What places might allow me to test out headphones? I don't have any large chain music stores near me (state college pa). 

The focal spirit professinal's do seem pretty awesome, but if the x2s dont work out id be more tempted to get the NAD VISO HP50s which apparently also don't need an amp and have a more open can sound.

You can make do plugging into your computer, but as soon as you have the opportunity, it would be a good idea to upgrade to a desktop amp and DAC.

Try searching on Google for audio shops or a Guitar Center near you. (Just to make sure.)

The HP50 is a good choice as well, and at only $250 it's a better value...but this is the first I've heard of it having a more open sound than the FSP.

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #15 of 51

I think what kapanak is saying that an external DAC would be better than a typical internal DAC (soundcard).  

However, a plug-in soundcard is going to have the surround sound etc.  But just for 2 channel musis listening,
you'll probably get to a better place with an external DAC.  Most of these also have a built-in headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back