What book are you reading right now?
Sep 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #2,116 of 5,346
I just got a kindle, I'm reading a lot of books kind of sporadically. A year in the Plague, The Island of DR.Moreau, Pan's Garden, and the H.P. Lovecraft horror chronology AKA the Necronomicon.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #2,118 of 5,346

Here Comes Trouble:
Stories from My Life 

Michael Moore

Filmmaker and political activist Moore's outstanding memoir opens with an account of the infamous Oscar acceptance speech in which he proclaimed "Shame on you!" to President George W. Bush, and the ensuing fallout, which resulted in a slimmer Moore and 24-hour security from ex-Navy SEALS due to the many death threats he received.

Eschewing a conventional linear narrative, Moore (Dude, Where's My Country?) offers twenty vignettes from his life that illustrate how his political and sociological viewpoints developed. Displaying his characteristic dry humor, his stories run the gamut, from the minor, a chance encounter with Senator Robert Kennedy in an elevator when a young Moore gets lost in the Capitol building, to the major, such as a high school speech that ultimately ended the Elks' Club's racist policies.
True to form, Moore doesn't pull any punches, but he's grown as a writer, with more discussion and fewer extended rants than in his previous books. With the book's emotional highs and lows, and self-deprecating, empathetic style, Moore triumphs.

Regardless of which side of the political fence readers are on, they're sure to find this collection enlightening, engaging, and occasionally enraging.

Sep 7, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #2,121 of 5,346
The Dresden Files

Or whatever it's called.

Dreadfully boring and a Mary Sue main character.

EDIT: Series btw.

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #2,122 of 5,346
"The Straw Bale House," Steen, et al.

I found this book for $2 today and couldn't pass it up. It's a comprehensive overview of straw bale construction. Most interesting.

I might actually put it to use - I've been close to picking up a house here. However, it might make more sense to pick up an acre and DIY it. I've been looking at rammed earth and adobe construction, too. But straw bale looks good and has impressive insulation qualities. Even better, it goes up fast and can cost as little as $10/square foot with some DIY.

So maybe, just maybe, that dedicated listening room I've been wanting will exist soon enough. :)

Sep 10, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #2,123 of 5,346
White Noise - Don Delillo

Combine this with some Pink Floyd or Porcupine Tree. Blissful.

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM Post #2,126 of 5,346

Quote:
Breakfast of Champions, then I'm going to start on Blood Meridian. 

Breakfast of Champions is awesome. It is my favorite Kurt Vonnegut novel.

Sep 13, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2,129 of 5,346
I'm reading Lucifer's Hammer right now, scratching the apocalypse itch.

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #2,130 of 5,346
The Portrait of Dorian Gray
Great book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back