What book are you reading right now?
Jun 21, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #1,113 of 5,346
Dune

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #1,114 of 5,346
The other day I finished
diary.jpg

and I've just started Finding Time Again by Marcel Proust.

The Diary of Anne Frank was probably the most depressing thing I've ever had to endure. Like Schindler's List, I can't say I "enjoyed" it, but I can say that I sustained it and absorbed all it had to offer. To think that this intelligent, gorgeous young girl, died in the most undignified and despicable of ways. When you're reading her funny and endearing stories, her eventual fate is always in the back of your mind, gnawing away.
It's had a very profound effect on me. Many young children I see in public instantly remind me of Anne and the horrors she had to endure.

Jun 21, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #1,118 of 5,346
Love All the People by Bill Hicks. Damn, he was great...

Jim Morrison: Life, Death, Legend by Stephen Davis...so-so biog.

Jul 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #1,119 of 5,346
Foundation by Isaac Asimov. Rereading this, so many years since my teens, reminds me how good a writer Asimov was.

Jul 8, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #1,124 of 5,346
Hylozoic by Rudy Rucker.

I've enjoyed reading through Rucker's 4-D fictional worlds. So far I've read Postsingular, Spaceland and Hylozoic is just as good. Who says mathematicians lack imagination? Rudy is a mathematician turn novelists who creates characters that are interestingly flawed. In his novels these characters are then given the godlike ability, through scientific discovery, to recreate their world. Of course this results in disasters that are intensely funny but leaves lessons for those of us that argues for unbridled scientific progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back