What book are you reading right now?
Jan 11, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #4,471 of 5,364
I read the excellent Dutch tranlation of his main work, Die welt als Wille und Vorstellung, from what I understand in English the E.F.J. Payne translation is the one to have, but I have not read that myself.

I read it in relative short bursts and did need time to let it sink in. My wife complainted I was very very absent these days lol.. It is a complicated book though, very well and clearly written without the vague language used by say Hegel or Heidegger (yuk), ideas wise, his perspectives are mind blowing 

I also read Rudiger Safranski's marvelous book on Schopenhauer, which was really enlightening. Might be a good book to start.

Schopenhauer finished his main work before reaching 30, I feel so bloody dumb, insignificant and useless :D

I find Heidegger more puzzling than advanced number theory, and when I finally think I understood what he was getting at, turns out I was grasping at the wrong end of the straw XD

I have read schopenhauer vol 1 and that was quite a challenge in terms of maintaining focus. Might give Safranski a try thanks!

Jan 11, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #4,472 of 5,364
I'm with you when you say it's pretty sad that there are that less readers out anymore.
If you ask me, nothing is better then a really good story which can actually stretch your mind and takes you into another world. 
I also like fantasy stories, but even more I love Paulo Coelho - my really favored author.
The best book was the alchimist, which really learned me a new look of live.
Currently I'm reading his book "The Spy" and I'm banned, although I'm just at the beginning.

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #4,473 of 5,364

you would probably like Schopenhauer as well right? I would give my right nut for being able to read Schopenhauer for the first time again
biggrin.gif

Indeed :) But I've only read 'The world as will and representation' I found this idea particularly interesting because of my interest in Zen Buddhism. It may seems outlandish but also makes a lot of sense if you look at the bigger picture.  

Jan 11, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #4,474 of 5,364
  Indeed :) But I've only read 'The world as will and representation' I found this idea particularly interesting because of my interest in Zen Buddhism. It may seems outlandish but also makes a lot of sense if you look at the bigger picture.  

it does make sense..you also read his best work, the rest is interesting but not that great

Jan 11, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #4,475 of 5,364

He had access to Latin translations of Upanishads and Vedanta, although after his works, which makes it even more captivating.

Jan 12, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #4,476 of 5,364
  He had access to Latin translations of Upanishads and Vedanta, although after his works, which makes it even more captivating.

Didn't know that. Must agree this does indeed make it more captivating. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #4,479 of 5,364
  But I've only read 'The world as will and representation' I found this idea particularly interesting because of my interest in Zen Buddhism. It may seems outlandish but also makes a lot of sense if you look at the bigger picture.  

I find Schopenhauer to be a pretty much Buddhist at least in the sense of theory ( he wasn't a saint himself). His greatest contribution was that he unified religious traditions from different parts of the world ( Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism) and showed that they are different branches of the same core ideas. He even guessed that Christianity was an off spring of Oriental mysticism ( Buddhism or Hinduism). The only difference between Schopenhauer's philosophy and mystic traditions of the world was that he didn't transform his negativity and pessimism into positive experience in the final stage of self renunciation. In mystic traditions final stage is described as Nirvana ( there are other names of this experience in different traditions) and in this final stage negativity is transformed into positive non being. But Schopenhauer retains his pessimism and doesn't give the final stage positive characteristic. That is the only difference - interpretation of the final stage. Christianity and Buddhism ( and generally most forms of mysticism) are also highly negative and pessimistic practices ( this negativity was described by Schopenhauer and it is his biggest achievement and specialization) but they aim to transform negativity where complete negativity achieves the state of self-satisfaction.

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #4,485 of 5,364

I would not recommend this book as it suffers from bad writing and filler. All that it knows about Ada could well have been covered in 20% of the space used. Filled with suppositions and redundancies it plays out as more filler than book. A shame really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back