What book are you reading right now?
Dec 4, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #4,441 of 5,348
Sorry to be lingering on these books, but I had no knowledge about Engelbert Dollfuss until you wrote his name.  Makes the story more intriguing and should lend a bit of political juice to the story :).

Thank you -
RCB

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #4,443 of 5,348
Currently reading Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run autobiography, most enjoyable.

Also, I've finally gotten around to reading Neal Stephenson's latest book, Seveneves (A sci-fi epic in which the moon gets blown up in the first paragraph, before humanity (hurriedly!) begins to colonize space in order to ensure the survival of the human race as the fallout from the Moon turns Earth into a hell of meteorite rain...

Oh, and Edgar Allan Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket. Just started last evening. Seems promising.

Dec 10, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #4,444 of 5,348
Just finished the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Little over a year to complete.

Dec 11, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4,446 of 5,348
  I'm on a totally different and frivolous tack at the moment, with Mike Nelson's Movie Megacheese, but have Suetonius' De Vita Caesarum up next, as a free Kindle download.

De Vita Caesarum is a good read. The editing and annotation is a bit of a mess (hey, it is a free book, after all!), but the author's text is concise and readable in style. Just finished with Julius and getting into Augustus.

Dec 18, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #4,448 of 5,348
This site seems to include all of my interests. :tongue_smile:
Gunna have to dig into this thread and find some new paper.
I'm currently reading Strange Tales from A Chinese Studio by Pu Songling. highly recommend for quiet contemplative reading, and fun!

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #4,452 of 5,348
Beyond Good and Evil.. Nietzsche. Such a common sense book from one of the most radical thinkers in history. Its the type of work you can spend your life dipping into and rediscovering, or finally understanding his way of thought. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #4,454 of 5,348
  Jane Austen - Northanger Abbey. It was serialised in edited-down form on BBC Radio 4 last week, and I enjoyed it enough to get the book (free on Kindle). Great fun!

In some ways I resent Northanger Abbey because it sets out to parody the Gothic novel, particularly Walpole's Castle of Otranto (which I think is great). Still, as Jane Austen's work goes, I probably enjoyed this one the most - it makes a change from the rather stuffy satire of Victorian high society. I was forced to read her entire oeuvre back in uni days... haven't really had the urge to revisit any since!

Dec 31, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #4,455 of 5,348

bought it b/c i liked the cover. Its a 3 series which makes it look like a bar sign. Much more effective to watch his videos than read his stuff. Refreshing time to time, but stay too long, and you might romanticize the BUM LIFE. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back