What book are you reading right now?
Dec 3, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #4,201 of 5,348
I'm about to start re-reading one of my favourite books, They're a weird Mob by 'Nino Culotta'. It was originally published in 1957 as the story of an Italian immigrant in Sydney, but even after the Aussie public discovered it was a hoax, written by the very much not Italian John O'Grady, they loved the book so much it went on to be a massive best-seller. Powell & Pressburger made a film version, which has its good moments, but is not quite on the money.

Why? It has an endearing central character, it is funny, earthy, well-observed and the rendering of Aussie dialogue is hilarious. The illustrations by 'WEP' just add to the charm. There were three sequels published, which are also great fun, if not quite up to the standard of the original.

Dec 9, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #4,205 of 5,348

loved the book, loved the movie a little less...

The book is pretty hardcore and depressing, maybe I'll leave the movie alone?

You know what they say, the book is always better than the movie. In this case, I would say that is definitely true. However, I liked the book enough to check-out and purchase the blu-ray of the movie. Both the book and the movie are depressing but that's the story.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #4,206 of 5,348
Just started reading "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" and loving it a real lot =3

http://www.amazon.com/Regard-Silent-Things-Kingkiller-Chronicle-ebook/dp/B00J9SUF2W/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1449750891&sr=1-1&keywords=slow+regard+of+silent+things

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #4,207 of 5,348
  'Norwegian Wood' didn't really do it for me, but I did get absorbed by 'The Wind-up Bird Chronicle'.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion comparing the two books once you have finished the latter.

Now half way through 'The Wind-up Bird Chronicle'. I have to say it is the best Murakami book I have read so far. Startet with "A Wild Sheep Chase", it was ok. Then "Dance, Dance, Dance" and I liked it more than the first. "Norwegian Wood" was even better. But 'The Wind-up Bird Chronicle' is the book that has been the best so far. I am looking forward to each chapter in this story. I see why people say the books share some similarities. A lot of the persons and elements are the same, just mixed in a different way. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #4,209 of 5,348
Vladimir Nabokov - Look at the Harlequins!

A classic Nabokov late period novel, and the last of his I have to read that was written in English. I'll be working through the translations next. Top ten author in my opinion.

Dec 15, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #4,210 of 5,348
Ian McEwan - Amsterdam

A book that's been sitting on the shelf for years; don't even remember how it got there. Two 'acts' in and it has me hooked. McEwan's prose style is precise and economical, which appeals to the logician in me.

Dec 17, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #4,211 of 5,348
Carl Hiassen - Native Tounge.

Love this book, I've read it many times. It still makes me LOL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Tongue_%28Carl_Hiaasen_novel%29

Dec 17, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #4,212 of 5,348
Though Tom passed away, Mark Greaney is doing him justice with this latest installment. 

51Z99zv1elL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dec 27, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #4,213 of 5,348
Just finished 'War with the Newts', a satire on pretty much everything to do with the human race, by Karel Capek (the man who invented the word 'robot'). Very good, and a cheap Kindle purchase too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back