What book are you reading right now?
Jan 23, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #364 of 5,358
Life of Pi - Yann Martel
Origin of Species - Charles Darwin

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #365 of 5,358
a few books I read during my time off from school

Jonathan Lethem You Don't Love Me Yet- I like Lethem quite a bit. In You Don't Love Me Yet he didn't do anything particularly amazing compared to his other work, but the way he describes characters and events, as well as how cleverly archetypal his stories are really draw me in.

William Gibson Pattern Recognition, Spook Country, Virtual Light- I love Gibson. He is so intelligent and it comes out strongly in his writing. That is enough of a reason to hunt down everything he has ever written for me

Barbara Kingsolover Prodigal Summer- A 'mom' book. It was lying around my house and I picked it up. Good but not amazing. Closer to home for me since it is set in small-town Southern US where my mother's side of the family is from.

Philip K Dick Maze of Death, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep- very clever ideas. I particularly am fascinated by Dick's relationship with religion.

Cory Doctorow Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom- Influences from Philip K Dick, William Gibson, and Neal Stephenson. Sort of fun, but I would rather read more Dick and Gibson.

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #370 of 5,358
Going through the 1632 series by Eric Flint, and then back to Neil Gaiman while waiting for John Scalzi's latest book.

To read list:

1634: The Baltic War
Fragile Things
The Blade Itself (Sakey)
Monster Hunter International

Feb 5, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #371 of 5,358
41O0%2B-NJFjL._SS500_.jpg

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #374 of 5,358
Quote:

Originally Posted by serpico /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guns, Germs, And Steel by Jared Diamond.

Hey Serpico - don't tell me you're in ECON 234 with Prof. Heinrich at UBC?

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #375 of 5,358
I have just started "Dark Mission," and I think I have seen thru the misgivings I had toward the end of his last book, "The Monuments of Mars." Hoagland goes on at length - hundreds of pages, in fact - to establish his thesis that NASA is heavily into information control, and covering up a LOT of data. "Dark Mission," for all its revelations, is also disinformation in that it may well be meant to distract us all from the REAL coverup: the militarization of space. I refer to what that British hacker found, and also to what the amateur astronomer photographed/videotaped of large space vehicles in near Earth orbit. See rense.com for details.

Laz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back