What book are you reading right now?
Sep 8, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #3,093 of 5,357
Brenna's memoir reads exactly like his novels and like them, is terrifically engaging.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #3,095 of 5,357

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #3,096 of 5,357
I prefer "God Is Not Great" but this is not a bad read either.  A true intellectual that will be missed.

I thought of him as more of an angry bully, he was intelligent but I wouldn't deem him an intellectual.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM Post #3,099 of 5,357

Hitchens was too angry for my liking personally, but he wasn't half bad.

Just ordered Arguably.

Hitchens was admittedly intelligent but a bit too attacking, sort of a crocodile which has its teeth firmly in its prey and knows its done for but wont

relax until he is satisfied. He often seemed to have a very satisfied Cheshire Cat look about him
biggrin.gif

No mercy, no prisoners when it came to Hitch and it was even enjoyable sometimes to see him attack and tear the other party to shreds when they presented a poor argument.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #3,101 of 5,357

Just finished Ender's Game and started on this.  I should have read these books a long time ago!

ender series are great reads 

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #3,105 of 5,357
Angry or not has nothing to do with the term intellectual, which he most certainly was..

Intellectuals take in differing opinions and embrace diversity WRT philosophical views, he did neither. Intelligent chap != Intellectual, his opinion of himself was overrated and what's worse, he made other atheists and agnostics look like angry children. Being a fellow humanist, I didn't appreciate the negative publicity that usually followed his tantrums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back