What book are you reading right now?
Jun 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #2,056 of 5,353
blackprism-1920x1200.jpg

Jun 24, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2,057 of 5,353
The airing of A Game of Thrones put me in the mood to run through the other neverending fantasy epic (Wheel of Time). Two months and four million words later, I'm done with the existing books and ready for the final entry in the series.

Jun 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #2,058 of 5,353
I started the wheel of time in Oct 2009, reached book 7 (A crown of swords) in 2 weeks, started reading book 8 (the path of daggers) and i still havent even finished half the book coz its so damn BORING!! i know that it gets kinda better from book 9 (Winters heart) onwards, but dear lord i just cant go past book 8 and the extremely unnecessary internal monologues of Aviendha and the lot :frowning2:

@confispect: 
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2,059 of 5,353
^ Wait someone explain the plot or a character or to I think I read those. 

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #2,061 of 5,353

Quote:
I started the wheel of time in Oct 2009, reached book 7 (A crown of swords) in 2 weeks, started reading book 8 (the path of daggers) and i still havent even finished half the book coz its so damn BORING!! i know that it gets kinda better from book 9 (Winters heart) onwards, but dear lord i just cant go past book 8 and the extremely unnecessary internal monologues of Aviendha and the lot :frowning2:

@confispect: 
beerchug.gif

i thought they were pretty great up through path of daggers, Winters Heart and Crossroads of Twilight are the roughest two for me, but then Knife of Dreams onward are f-ing amazing, so its totes worth it.

Also by the time you're at Path of Daggers, you're past the excruciatingly difficult to read/completely worthless Nyneave/Elayne wankery....ugh

Edit: also, ive been reading them since 5th grade, the crown of swords came out after i started reading them :D

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #2,062 of 5,353

Quote:

Not much luck there. tPoD (8), WH (9), and CoT (10) were all pretty brutal slogs. There is improvement in KoD (11), but it doesn't really get good again until the Sanderson entries. Bit sad that it took Jordan's death for the series to get the sort of editing it desperately needed.

Jun 24, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #2,063 of 5,353

Quote:
Not much luck there. tPoD (8), WH (9), and CoT (10) were all pretty brutal slogs. There is improvement in KoD (11), but it doesn't really get good again until the Sanderson entries. Bit sad that it took Jordan's death for the series to get the sort of editing it desperately needed.

yeah, from what i've heard said about the Sanderson books, they've been very favourably compared to the first three books which are my favourite in the series. like i said before, once i plow through my gf's agatha christie books, i'm gonna start reading some fantasy stuff again; maybe even finish WoT. 

on topic, i just finished christie's ''and there were none''. loved it! :)

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #2,067 of 5,353
Just finished Kathy Reichs "Fatal Voyage", I like her novels, I learn a lot from them as she includes a lot of "real" information on secret societies, cults, etc and also, of course, the forensic anthropology stuff.

Anyway, probably read this next before going on to another Reichs novel:

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #2,068 of 5,353
Sadly, a local used bookstore is closing. I went in today and, surprisingly, found a copy of Ronald Wagner's "Electrostatic Loudspeaker: Design and Construction."

I knew about it, but hadn't seen a copy in person. Of course I bought it! Just started poking through it, but there's a wealth of information about 'stats and even plans for a DIY pair. I'll probably skip those and keep the ESL-63s, bu am ver pleased to have this book. (I have the Sanders book, too, which is also excellent.)

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #2,069 of 5,353
Jun 30, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #2,070 of 5,353
Look away now and do not read if you are easily offended

If you like Billy Connolly and Glaswegian humour, this is a must read.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back