What book are you reading right now?
Jun 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #1,486 of 5,340
The list right now is pretty long (I'm working on my dissertation).  Though, the book I have closest to me is 'Guardians of the Revolution: Iran and the World in the Age of the Ayatollahs' by Ray Takeyh.

Jun 23, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #1,489 of 5,340

Quote:
Same here. After Hamilton's Void series I'm going to read Iain M Banks' work, starting with Consider Phlebas. I can't get enough of science fiction.

Give the Hyperion Cantos a shot. This is at the top of my science fiction list, and I think you'll like it a lot after reading Hamilton (it will be a little more economical with words, of course...)

Jun 24, 2010 at 4:54 AM Post #1,492 of 5,340

Quote:

Give the Hyperion Cantos a shot. This is at the top of my science fiction list, and I think you'll like it a lot after reading Hamilton (it will be a little more economical with words, of course...)

Thank you for the recommendation but I've already read Hyperion Cantos, Ilium, Olympos, Terror and Drood by Simmons, hehe. He's one of my favorite authors as well. I thought nothing could match his creativity but Hamilton's hard sci-fi is also very enjoyable.

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #1,493 of 5,340
I've ordered these books:

[size=x-small]Mein Kampf[/size] [size=x-small]1[/size] [size=x-small]€10.28[/size] [size=x-small]€10.28[/size]
[size=x-small]Berlin[/size] [size=x-small]1[/size] [size=x-small]€8.81[/size] [size=x-small]€8.81[/size]
[size=x-small]Stalingrad[/size] [size=x-small]1[/size] [size=x-small]€9.90[/size] [size=x-small]€9.90[/size]
[size=x-small]Band of Brothers[/size] [size=x-small]1[/size] [size=x-small]€7.66[/size] [size=x-small]€7.66[/size]

[size=x-small]D-Day[/size]

Although I have already read Stalingrad, I had to buy it and read it again, such a good book.
[size=x-small]1[/size] [size=x-small]€15.48[/size] [size=x-small]€15.48[/size]

Jun 24, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #1,494 of 5,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Neal Stephenson- Cryptonomicon

Still my favorite Stephenson novel by far. Baroque Cycle's amazing too, his latest (Anathem) starts off a little slowly afaic, but it really picks up speed after the first few chapters.

I'm currently reading Roberto Saviano's "Gomorrha" about Naples' Camorra clans. I find his writing style (or at least the German translation of it) horrible though.

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #1,496 of 5,340
Vladimir Nabokov's "Pale Fire."  Very interesting format, refreshing style, 50 years old, but still fresh.

Jun 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #1,497 of 5,340
Sorry for the double post.  Also reading "Ada" by Nabokov, just to add since there's this extra space.

Jun 25, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #1,498 of 5,340
Currently reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest after blasting through the first 2 books!  I know, everyone and their mother is reading this same book, but it's just awesome.  

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo had me up til 5am when I had class starting at 9am!

Jul 1, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #1,499 of 5,340
Making my way through Tasting Beer: An Insiders Guide to the World's Greatest Drink by Randy Mosher. I've developed a fascination for the craft beer movement in the US and this is a great read.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back