What beats the Oppo?
Jan 15, 2008 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

gdl357

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. I am looking to purchase a cd player just for playing music and could not care less about the DVD features.

Everyone talks about this Oppo 980. I cannot find it except for online. Are they really that good? If so I will get the Oppo.

Is there a cd player/dvd player that can match or beat this unit in SQ for under $200.00? Something from Sony like the CDPCE375 or Pioneer like the DV-400V, Panasonic?

The Ideal unit I would like is the Marantz DV-6001 @ $500.00, but thats over my spending budget.

Thx

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 62
I was recently looking at budget CD players, and even though my budget was slightly higher than yours ($250-$300, with $300 being only if I could get a super-good deal), the Oppo 980 seemed to be the best bargain. It plays everything, has a ton of great features, and Oppo is supposed to have great customer service. I really couldn't find anything that was easily available for under $200, even used, that seemed to compare.

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 62
I'd pick the Oppo for its high-res features... Plus, it's a good video player, even though that's not necessarily important to you now.

The Pioneer has Burr-Brown PCM1742 DACs, which are probably at the same level as the Cirrus DACs in the Oppo in terms of redbook playback. The two will have different sound signatures, so preference will play a role.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 62
Can you please describe the signatures of these chips so I can decide which one to look at.

I appreciate your info.

I like agressive and crisp, and not lush and smooth like a tube sound.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by gdl357 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like agressive and crisp, and not lush and smooth like a tube sound.

Hmm... Burr-Brown's delta-sigma chips tend to be on the laid-back side, but then again, many people find Cirrus chips to be similarly laid-back. You might do well to look for something else with a DAC from Analog Devices or AKM.

But, I don't know what you consider to be aggressive and crisp... The other components in your system may take care of those requirements for you.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 62
The reason I ask is because I like to listen to the Dave Matthews band "Crash" album. There are a few songs like "Say Goodbye" which need to be crispy like bacon not soggy, if you get what I mean.

I may try out the Oppo 680.

Jan 16, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 62
I have an Oppo 980 in my home theater and a Sony SCD-CE595 ($150) in my 2-channel system. I like the Oppo just fine (especially for playing DVDs and DVD-As, which the Sony can't do), but I prefer the Sony for music, it's crispier.

Even if the sound quality were identical, the Oppo must be attached to a monitor for setup, which is fine for a home theater, but a hassle in a music-only system.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an Oppo 980 in my home theater and a Sony SCD-CE595 ($150) in my 2-channel system. I like the Oppo just fine (especially for playing DVDs and DVD-As, which the Sony can't do), but I prefer the Sony for music, it's crispier.

Even if the sound quality were identical, the Oppo must be attached to a monitor for setup, which is fine for a home theater, but a hassle in a music-only system.

Hey thanks for this info. I have x'd the Oppo.

I will source a Sony.

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #9 of 62
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the Sony SCD-CE595 was on my radar as well. After reading this thread, though, it seemed that the player didn't really start to shine until it was modded, something I'm not really interested in doing. Plus, it can't play as many formats as the Oppo and Sony products aren't exactly known for their reliability.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the Sony SCD-CE595 was on my radar as well. After reading this thread, though, it seemed that the player didn't really start to shine until it was modded, something I'm not really interested in doing. Plus, it can't play as many formats as the Oppo and Sony products aren't exactly known for their reliability.

HAHA. Thx for showing me that.

It feels like a never ending battle.

OK. Now I am going to research the Marantz 4001. I know I have to put more, but hopefully it will be a decent unit.

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #11 of 62
One company (Goldmund) is using the parts from the same line as the Pioneer DV-400V, rebadging and recasing it as their own, and selling it for almost $12,000. People have bought them, so I guess that says something about the guts of budget Pioneer DVD players.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 62
The Stereophile measurements are for the DV-970HD. If I buy an Oppo, I plan to get it modded... that might resolve the issues with noise, intermodulation distortion, power supply hum, and jitter (Superclock).

However, I hedged my bets by getting an upmarket Redbook player first...
cool.gif

Also note that Wes Phillips likes the AKG K 701, which I am unimpressed by.

Jan 17, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seemed that the player didn't really start to shine until it was modded, something I'm not really interested in doing. Plus, it can't play as many formats as the Oppo and Sony products aren't exactly known for their reliability.

I haven't modded my SCD-CE595, and I like it just fine. I bought it as a refurb a year or two ago and have had no problems at all, but I picked up a spare just in case (back when you could get refurb units for $70).
cool.gif

I still like the Oppo unit, though...no complaints there at all either. The Talking Heads and Porcupine Tree DVD-As are well worth getting.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #15 of 62
OK. It's done and over with. My search for a transport is finished.

I just picked up a Marantz CD5001 @ $290.00 with some Monster Cable Interlink 400 MKII RCA > RCA and I think I am set now for quite some time.

The Marantz unit looks well built and the faceplace just turns me on. All brushed aluminum black anodized, not just cheap plastic. Sometimes an extra $100.00 is worth spending on a unit like this.

I have no clue what it sounds like, but whatever way it sounds, I will have to learn to like it. It has "Super Audio CD Grade 192kHz/24-bit Cirrus Logic CS4392 D/A Converter" with some high end caps so it should sound great.

Wow, I am reading the manual and I can see this player has some neat features I didn't know about which I like.

[size=x-small]Display OFF function incorporated - CD-TEXT display supported[/size]
[size=xx-small]The “display OFF” function enables the main unit display[/size]
[size=xx-small]to be turned off. By turning off this display, the pulsive[/size]
[size=xx-small]noise generated from the display is reduced, thus[/size]
[size=xx-small]eliminating its effects on the music signals.[/size]

[size=xx-small][size=x-small]Quick replay function[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]By a single-action operation, the “quick replay” function[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]enables play to be moved back from the current play[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]position for 10 seconds and play to be resumed.[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]This function makes it possible to return to a part of the[/size][/size][size=xx-small]
[size=xx-small]track that was just played so it can be heard again.[/size]
[/size]
[size=xx-small]

[size=xx-small][size=x-small]Pitch control function[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]The “pitch control” function enables the play speed (pitch)[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]to be varied over a [/size][size=xx-small]±[/size][size=xx-small]12 step. This feature is particularly[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small][size=xx-small]useful for musical instrument practice sessions.[/size][/size]
[size=xx-small]

[size=xx-small][size=xx-small][size=x-small]Peak Button[/size][/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=xx-small]When the PEAK button is pressed, searching for the[/size]
[size=xx-small]loudest passage (peak) on a CD or in a program.[/size]

I am happy right now
Thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back