What beats the Oppo?
Jan 21, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #46 of 62
I guess most people still consider the Oppo players to be good transports, especially with HDMI-DSD out. It should be interesting to see if a market develops for more HDMI-DSD DACs... and whatever the DVD-A equivalent is.

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #47 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just read that, and seemed like a cop-out comparison... he couldn't quantify or pinpoint any differences at all. he just said that there was less tension in his shoulders when listening to the Onkyo.
confused.gif

I found the comparison to be very strange with his "tension" remark. Since that is the only difference he felt (not heard), it seems that the Oppo is the better player for price, multi-formats, etc...(which, if I remember correctly, he eludes to in the article)

BTW I have a Oppo 980H playing SACDs (DSD) via HDMI to my Denon 3808CI and it sounds great. Have not done much listening to CDs on it, though.

Jan 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #48 of 62
I've just ordered an OPPO DV980H. I came to do some research after hearing such good things about this player just to reassure myself that I've made the right choice. Thing is, I can get the Marantz CD5001 at a lower price compared to the Oppo here in Singapore. Is the sound quality really dismal, dull and lifeless? The DVD playing/upsampling capabilities are bonuses to me and frankly I don't mind the look of the player at all. I mainly just listen to CDs but I'm quite keen on getting some SACDs just to see what the difference is. I can't return it once I've coughed up the cash. Please help me make the right choice... Someone do a comparison, quick, before my order goes through!

Jan 25, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #49 of 62
Not sure if anyone have tried it or not, SONY's PS3 works as a very good transport as well. Not to mention it also have network playback, BluRay and more.

The TOSLink digital output it have is not the best around, but with a DAC that handles the digital signal properly, it sounds great. I went for the older version for that it could support SACD.
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #50 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just ordered an OPPO DV980H. I came to do some research after hearing such good things about this player just to reassure myself that I've made the right choice. Thing is, I can get the Marantz CD5001 at a lower price compared to the Oppo here in Singapore. Is the sound quality really dismal, dull and lifeless? The DVD playing/upsampling capabilities are bonuses to me and frankly I don't mind the look of the player at all. I mainly just listen to CDs but I'm quite keen on getting some SACDs just to see what the difference is. I can't return it once I've coughed up the cash. Please help me make the right choice... Someone do a comparison, quick, before my order goes through!

Absolute Sound Magazine recommends the Oppo 980 as a low cost good sounding player, and the next step up from that was the Cambridge Audio 540c, which is 3x more costly.

I would think you'll be happy with it. It was going to be my next purchase. However, in my case, I found a CD5001 for less, which just shipped to me today, so I don't know what to say after I did that...

I am waiting for the Oppo 983 next month, which uses ABT upscaler, and use that in my home theater, since the CD5001 is for my bedside headphone rig. Oppo says the 983 will sound like the 980, but will cost 2x as much for the video upgrades in it.

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #51 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i just read that, and seemed like a cop-out comparison... he couldn't quantify or pinpoint any differences at all. he just said that there was less tension in his shoulders when listening to the Onkyo.
confused.gif

considering the Onky sports an upscale Wolfson DAC and a beefy power supply, i'd say that it was damning with faint praise. not that the Onky is bad, but the Oppo hits that far above its weight.

As I have stated before, what is notable in the article is the difficulty that the author had with stopping his listening sessions with the Onkyo. I wouldn't call that "damning with faint praise". I would call it action speaking louder than words.

Jan 25, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #52 of 62
The OP asked, "Is there a cd player/dvd player that can match or beat this unit in SQ for under $200.00?"

Is it any wonder that a $479 dedicated CD player beats a $169 universal player?

Jan 25, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #53 of 62
As I read this thread, it does seem a little cheap to compare this player to anything that is double its price-point. If that is what constitutes fair, why don't we just compare it to the Esoteric or the SA-15?

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #54 of 62
Since I was a one of the participants in the thread that suggested modding the SCD-CE595 I figured I'd better chime in here. I just want to reiterate my overall opinion that:
(1) The SCD-CE595 sound improves significantly after a week or two of constant burn in.
(2) The Auricap mod mentioned in the aforementioned thread takes things even further (in a good way).

However, the Sony sounded nice pre-mod/post-burn in. I got my Sony for *really* cheap, so I didn't feel that trying the inexpensive Auricap mod was that much of a risk. In my opinion, it paid off in spades...at least to my ears. YMMV.

I also have an Oppo (970HD) & prefer the Sony by a wide margin after burn in & Auricap modding. The Sony really is a great buy if you can pick one up refurbed for <$100.

Glad to see that the OP has found happiness with the Marantz line of CDPs...whenever I decide to upgrade I'll probably end up getting one of their SACD players!

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #55 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by juniperlater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I read this thread, it does seem a little cheap to compare this player to anything that is double its price-point.

I would agree.

Jan 26, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #56 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolute Sound Magazine recommends the Oppo 980 as a low cost good sounding player, and the next step up from that was the Cambridge Audio 540c, which is 3x more costly.

I would think you'll be happy with it. It was going to be my next purchase. However, in my case, I found a CD5001 for less, which just shipped to me today, so I don't know what to say after I did that...

I am waiting for the Oppo 983 next month, which uses ABT upscaler, and use that in my home theater, since the CD5001 is for my bedside headphone rig. Oppo says the 983 will sound like the 980, but will cost 2x as much for the video upgrades in it.

Thanks for the reply. In SGD, the oppo costs $350 and the Marantz, $299. The replacement for the Marantz CD5001, IIRC, is the 6002 which costs ~$350, similar to the Oppo. Hrm... thoughts? I'm looking for the player which sounds the best at the $200USD price point. SQ comes first, before anything else.

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #58 of 62
I don't want to be pedantic but, have you heard both of them and is certain that the Marantz is the clear winner?

I want to get it right, I have only a few more days to consider.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #59 of 62
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. In SGD, the oppo costs $350 and the Marantz, $299. The replacement for the Marantz CD5001, IIRC, is the 6002 which costs ~$350, similar to the Oppo. Hrm... thoughts? I'm looking for the player which sounds the best at the $200USD price point. SQ comes first, before anything else.

I have both the Oppo 980H and Marantz CD5001. The Marantz is much better for redbook. Compared to the Marantz, the Oppo sounds dull and lifeless. The Marantz sounds more natural.

One word of caution though... a few members have recently purchased CD5001 units and said they sound unnatural and dull. This is something I have never experienced with mine so I speculate Marantz either had a bad batch recently or has changed some components. Buying a new one at this point might be a hit or a miss.

Jan 26, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #60 of 62
Thanks. But it was your [previous] post that sparked the debate within myself. "To buy or not to buy". I would really like a second opinion on this, that said however, I am also looking at buying the new CD6002. Hopefully, if I don't like the oppo, there will be someone to take it off my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back