What are your plans for the Halo 3 release?
Sep 26, 2007 at 4:39 PM Post #46 of 58
Look up the XCM XFPS, you use your own keyboard and mouse, but if you actually want to game on the console using them then you should have good ones anyway. If you can actually find one, it meets your needs, I'm having a hard time finding anywhere that sells them. But I'm personally just going to learn to live with the gamepad, as much as it sucks.

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #47 of 58
Never understood the appeal of the Halo series. Halo 1 and 2 both seemed to be rather mediocre FPS games and I was quickly back to CS and Unreal.

Maybe it's just the fact that I am awful at playing FPS with a joystick, as it's the worst control scheme ever for quick reaction time. Or at least, for a longtime PC gamer it is. Or quite probably the games just aren't that good, they're just the best console FPS's...

Anyway, no way I'm buying a console or Vista to play this, so it's not for me...

Sep 26, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #48 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing the amazes me the most is the replay function: a 1hr replay is 7mb

I don't find that very surprising. PC game demos for the past 10 years haven't been any larger certainly, and I believe many games would be a lot smaller. They just store the inputs that the human players make and the time they make them. When you play the demo back, the whole game is basically played again, but with the inputs taken from the file rather than the actual input devices. All the AI and graphics etc. is generated on the fly.

Really not all that big a deal, we've been doing the same thing with Quake 3, Counter-Strike et.al. for years.

Sep 26, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thing the amazes me the most is the replay function: a 1hr replay is 7mb

One hour of compressed demo in CS is about 20megs, so 7megs is pretty good. However, I believe CS captures at 100tick, which is 100 times a second. If captured at 33tick (which I imagine Halo either captures at 30 or 60), that would half or third the CS demo size. It sounds like the Halo team did their homework for the replays.

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man that took forever. I ended up upgrading to the Cat Helmet edition.....
-Ed

Oh man, I didn't even think of that. If I was smart enough to think that my cat could wear the helmet I totally would have gotten that version. I'm laughing my arse off just thinking about him sitting on my lap with a Master Chief helmet on.

Sep 26, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why didn't Microsoft release a PC version as well, compatible with XP?

Or is it that they think that Halo 3 is so damn good, PC gamers will jump in and buy an Xbox 360 console just for the sake of playing Halo 3?

Yep, pretty much.

Sep 26, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #52 of 58
Played more Legendary Co-op today and it was some of the most fun I've had in a game in a while. The meta-scoring seem like a cool new feature that adds replay value and competitiveness

One thing that really bugs me is the lack of an accuracy/hit% statistic in the game - it was my favorite stat to track, and I can't figure out why they dropped it. I do appreciate the addition of the Kill/Death spread which I think most people didn't bother thinking about in Halo 2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't find that very surprising. PC game demos for the past 10 years haven't been any larger certainly, and I believe many games would be a lot smaller. They just store the inputs that the human players make and the time they make them. When you play the demo back, the whole game is basically played again, but with the inputs taken from the file rather than the actual input devices. All the AI and graphics etc. is generated on the fly.

Really not all that big a deal, we've been doing the same thing with Quake 3, Counter-Strike et.al. for years.

PC Games may have done so much earlier (although I have never seen it implemented as well for online and offline), but AFAIK, it's an accomplishment for a console.

Personally, I stopped playing PC games when I got a 360 - wireless controllers, combined with the added social aspect, ease of use, and lower cost have led me to abandon my PC except for RTS games

Sep 27, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #54 of 58
I m going to jump for joy, as it is the last of the Halo series, i can also eventually look foward to my friends shutting up about it!

I HATE Halo, always looks the same, same corridors, same "aliens" same everything......

FORGET HALO, AND PLAY F.E.A.R!

I know i will get flamed but hey!

-= Matt =-

Sep 27, 2007 at 2:18 PM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I m going to jump for joy, as it is the last of the Halo series, i can also eventually look foward to my friends shutting up about it!

I HATE Halo, always looks the same, same corridors, same "aliens" same everything......

FORGET HALO, AND PLAY F.E.A.R!

I know i will get flamed but hey!

-= Matt =-

I enjoyed the original Halo, but I didn't put it on the level of the Halo-mania that roams today. I do hope this is definitely the last one, Halo was already a tired title a year or so before Halo 2 came out.

Sep 27, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ichinichi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm unsure of this: can you play co-op on the same machine?

Yes

You can have two people playing the missions together on the same machine, or up to four people over Xbox Live

----
Halo3 is missing Team Swat, my favorite part of Halo 2
mad.gif

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #57 of 58
Actually, while this may be the last official Halo, it certainly will not be the last of the franchise. They will release more games centered around the Halo universe, even if the characters change. So don't worry, you'll get to hear more about it.

Sep 27, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #58 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, while this may be the last official Halo, it certainly will not be the last of the franchise. They will release more games centered around the Halo universe, even if the characters change. So don't worry, you'll get to hear more about it.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Lol,

-= Matt =-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back