Nov 17, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #47,447 of 136,176
Nov 17, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #47,449 of 136,176
J. S. BachDie elenden sollen essen, BWV 75
Carolyn Samson, soprano
Daniel Taylor, countertenor
Mark Padmore, tenor
Peter Kooy, bass
Collegium Vocale Ghent/Philippe Hereweghe

Alexander GoehrLargo Siciliano, Op. 91 (2012)
Richard Watkins, horn
Marianne Thorsen, violin
Ian Brown, piano

Nov 17, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #47,450 of 136,176

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #47,456 of 136,176
I posted a question about the Led Zeppeling 2007 remastering and didn't get an answer. 

Well, I'm going to answer my own question having just bought the two CD disc and have done a short A-B comparison...in case their are any Led Zeppelin fans out there....or people considering adding Zeppelin to their music library.

Point 1: First of all, Jimmy Page (if you don't know who that is-please skip this post
wink_face.gif
) has said he is remastering the whole Led Zeppelin catalog and releasing each studio release as a box set with alternate versions and improved SQ. Pricey box sets for each of their albums seems indulgent to me....but we are talking about Led Zeppelin after all! These new studio remasters have yet to come out...but one could consider waiting to see if they come out in 2014.

Point 2: As a long time Zeppelin fan, I can easily recommend this 2 disc set (see photo) below if you do not own any of their music. Led Zeppelin like Floyd were known as an album band. While that is true, the SQ found on their studio releases is not very good....even Jimmy Page admits that-and he supervised the remastereding their catalog in the 90's.  This release does a pretty good overview of the essentials-even though, if you LOVE Zeppelin, you would want each of their albums. Jimmy Page was known to keep the number of songs on each album pretty modest (like 8 songs or so) and focusing on quality. I would argue that every song on their first 6 albums is essential.

They also did not release singles and were despised by the press back in the day. They pretty much defined album oriented rock or AOR. The song list on these two discs is solid covering their entire career. I would equate it to the Columbia 3 Disc Dylan set tilted simply-Dylan. It's all red and also came out in 2007. It does a good job at covering 3 decades of Dylan-but just covers the basics. Same deal here.

Point 3: On a short A-B comparison of a couple of songs from my Led Zeppelin 1990 Remaster 2 disc compilation and my Houses of the Holy Remaster  in -94-Mothership clearly sounds better....more open, spacious and clearer. My 90 remaster sound muddy by comparison...The remaster series I have came out with a 4 CD version as well and was remastered in 2000-I don't have that and haven't heard that version. So, I can't vouch how the 2007 version sounds compared to the 2,000. But, I wonder if it was simply re-released in 2,000 as I've read Jimmy Page state it's been 20 years since the Zeppelin catalog was remastered.

Point 4:I know there are folks that think remasering is a bit of s scam and often older remasters are just as good and the newer remasters are often just louder with reduced dynamic range. But this sounds much better to me than even the '94 remasters. For my listening the replacement on my digital files of these songs was worth it. I can hear the difference listening digitally to music from 90's CD in in a lossless files of-say Physical Graffiti (remastered in '94) of songs that are not on Mothership vs songs on Mothership.

Not as dramatic as the Beatles remasters-but given that Led Zeppelin SQ has been a sticking point for years-I can give an easy recommend for Mothership. Up until now, Led Zeppelin has just not had audiophile SQ.

Also as a fan, I suggest checking out their live recordings. They were known as an amazing live unit and became largely known due to their successful tours:

*BBC sessions are killer-live in studio right after their first album. It's a series of performances. The first came out right after their first album in 69. They are hungry and the performance are terrific. The later BBC cuts come out when they releases their untitled album-or Zeppelin 1V-their best selling album....that had Stairway to Heaven. The BBC sessions are beyond good. Very raw...like going back to 69-71 and hearing Zeppelin before they were famous. They must have blown people away back then.

*How the West Was Won captures them in their prime. Also good-maybe more seasoned vs more hungry and frothing at the Mouth (BBC). If you want a live recording of Zep in their prime, skip The Song Remains the Same get How the West Was Won.

*Celebration Day (2007) If you like Zeppelin and don't own any of their live music, their 2007 reunion concert that came out the same time-called Celebration Day-it's fantastic. The guys were in their early 60's. The songs are more streamlined. Zeppelin were known to do these long medley songs-like 18-20 minute versions with blues medley's. You either love or hate them. I'm not a fan...even though it gives you sense to hear what the concerts were like (I'm too young to have seen them live). But, I don't have the patience of 20 mintues of noodling. I think their shorter live songs that illustrate their power are most effective. BBC Sessions, West Was Won and Celebration Day are all fantastic. I like all three for different reasons But, I give the nod to BBC sessions for their early stuff-Robert Plant was a beast on the mic back then and Celebration Day-which I think is superb and sounds a lot better.

Led Zeppelin-Mothership 2007 Remastered 2 disc compilation-sold with DVD of the concert or as 2 CDs w/o DVD
51US-2jHP8L.jpg

Disc: 1
1. Good Times Bad Times
2. Communication Breakdown
3. Dazed and Confused
4. Babe I m Gonna Leave Yous
5. Whole Lotta Love
6. Ramble On
7. Heartbreaker
8. Immigrant Song
9. Since I ve Been Loving You
10. Rock and Roll
11. Black Dog
12. When The Levee Breaks
13. Stairway To Heaven
Disc: 2
1. Song Remains The Same
2. Over The Hills And Far Away
3. D Yer Maker
4. No Quarter
5. Trampled Under Foot
6. Houses Of The Holy
7. Kashmir
8. Nobody s Fault But Mine
9. Achilles Last Stand
10. In The Evening
11. All My Love

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #47,457 of 136,176
Very interesting analysis...I have every collection, CD, and original vinyl that you mention in your post, but I have never really done any in-depth comparison. How would you rate "The Complete Studio Recordings" (10 CD Boxed Set) in terms of sound quality...? I don't listen to Zeppelin as much as I used to, but I go to "The Complete Studio Recordings" when I do...edit - OK, this boxed set is what you refer to as the '94 remasters, I follow you now...sorry.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #47,459 of 136,176
The Very Best of Roberta Flack
[2006] Rhino Records Remaster

It's quite easy to place Roberta Flack near the top of the pile of singer/songwriters who changed the course of pop music, not only soul music, during the '70s. She was fortunate enough to deliver the velvet-smooth ballad "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" to an unsuspecting public, and followed it up with an onslaught of ballads that would keep her on the charts for the remainder of the decade.

From start to finish, this greatest-hits compilation is the most comprehensive look at her finest moments available on record. From her legendary string of duets with Donny Hathaway to her duets with Peabo Brysonand Maxi Priest that kept her at the top of the charts through the '80s, they're all here.

But it's not just the duets that madeFlack such an outstanding performer, as her solo works also rate high in quality. Free of the filler and goofy remixes that can make other greatest-hits collections seem diluted, this is easily the best retrospective of her work available to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back