What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jun 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #42,766 of 136,260

Coldworld - tortured by solitude. 

Not everyones cup of tea but I love it. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #42,769 of 136,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Elite /img/forum/go_quote.gif

GY!BE's work is indeed mainly instrumental with only some tapes and spoken word parts being used as part of the music occasionally. I'd say that "Lift Yr. Skinny Fists…" is a quite good representation of the other works in at least the early GY!BE discography, although their every release has a unique vibe to it.

Edit
I'm now listening to this for the first time.

Edit 2
I can hardly believe how brilliant some of the tracks I've never heard before are. It is also wonderful to hear some of these UTAU singers for the very first time. 
smily_headphones1.gif

"GPS" is simply perfect, so dreamy. "1st color" is about equally as stunning. Minatsuki Toka seldom disappoints.

I'm going to have to demo their other albums then. Hopefully I can find more whole album favorites from GY!BE. :)

I am loving what I hear in these UTAU songs.  I enjoyed +Reverse a lot and listen to it often on my iPod. This album seems it would be worthy investment. Though I haven't heard of UTAU, is it much like Vocaloid? It does seem that way.

I've been listening to this for a while now.  I'm going to setup my NES in a while so I can run through this game.  So many good memories with this game. :D

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #42,771 of 136,260
Rush-Moving Pictures (finally picked this up-one of my all time favorite rock recordings from H.S. years)

and Pat Metheny from 2008

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #42,775 of 136,260
[size=small] [/size]

[size=0.9em][size=17.14285659790039px]Patricia Barber  -  Cafe Blue[/size][/size]

[size=small]From her early days leading a jazz trio in small Chicago nightclubs (1994)[/size]

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #42,779 of 136,260
Quote:
I'm going to have to demo their other albums then. Hopefully I can find more whole album favorites from GY!BE. :)

I am loving what I hear in these UTAU songs.  I enjoyed +Reverse a lot and listen to it often on my iPod. This album seems it would be worthy investment. Though I haven't heard of UTAU, is it much like Vocaloid? It does seem that way.

I would probably recommend checking out "F♯ A♯ ∞" next and also trying their "Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada" EP. "F♯ A♯ ∞" didn't initially appeal to me as much as "Lift Yr. Skinny Fists...", but after hearing it enough times I really grew to like it. I'd probably say that it is almost as good as "Lift Yr. Skinny Fists...", but not quite. "Slow Riot..." is currently rated as the #1 EP of all time on Rate Your Music, which should speak for itself.

UTAU is indeed very similar to Yamaha's Vocaloid software, with the main difference being that UTAU is a free program and actually enables users to record their own voice bank and use it to create their own virtual singer. The results one typically gets with UTAU are usually less lifelike than with Vocaloid – at least in unskilled hands – but that's what appeals to me in UTAU anyway. "Official" UTAUloids (I think that's what they're called) also often have a quite unique voice with lots of character. UTAUloids also typically have really wacky background stories: Kasane Teto for example is a chimera, and Namine Ritsu despite being voiced by a woman is officially a cross-dressing male character who has two missiles built into his chest, creating an impression of him having breasts. Millions of people have heard at least one UTAUloid in their life even if they don't know it, for one of the UTAU presets, Momone Momo, was used in the remixed version of daniwellP's 
"Nyanyanyanyanyanyanya!" – a Hatsune Miku song – which served as the music in the immensely popular Nyan Cat video uploaded on YouTube in 2011. As one last note, Utane Uta, who is more popularly known as Defoko, is the default voice bank that comes with the software and her voice doesn't actually come from an organic source, meaning her voice is completely synthesized.​

All I just said is merely stuff I've read on the UTAU wiki, so don't think I'm actually knowledgeable on the subject or anything. Also, I believe UTAU simply means "to sing" in Japanese, but I could be wrong.

Here's my music selection for this evening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back