What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jun 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #42,737 of 136,663
Pink Floyd - DSOTM SACD

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #42,738 of 136,663
Something completely different from anything else in the thread, but I am in need of some relaxing ASMR videos after a super stressful week.

Out of curiosity does anyone else here get ASMR?

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #42,739 of 136,663
A very special player indeed and yes that is Morpheus on guitar!
Watch out for nice ~Synth at 1.31

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #42,743 of 136,663
Quote:
Deafhaven - "Sunbather"

I just finished listening to this in it's entirety, and my lord what a wonderful listen it was.  I'm definitely ordering this for sure.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "Lift Your Skinny Fist Like Antennas To Heaven"

Now listening to this.  I haven't heard the entire album, so I hope I can get through it soon. :)

I've heard Sunbather twice. Honestly don't know what to think of it. If it hadn't gotten positive buzz on the Internet I probably wouldn't have ever paid any attention to it, or listened to it for more than a few minutes. I'm going to listen to it for a third time today at some point. I might get the album on CD regardless of how I feel after the third listening session, for this might be an album that needs to be heard through speakers in CD-quality. Then again, perhaps I simply won't. Time will tell.

I'm interest to hear Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! on vinyl once my turntable finally arrives. Given that each song is one full side of an LP, vinyl seems like the optimal/intended format for that album.

Quote:
A very special player indeed and yes that is Morpheus on guitar!
Watch out for nice ~Synth at 1.31

I've never seen video footage of Hiromi, so this was great. I'm not surprised she is as lively a person as her music. I need to acquire more of her albums…

http://dataline.bandcamp.com/album/under-waveform

I got this a few weeks ago, but only finally took the time to listen to it yesterday. I'm definitely loving it – perhaps enough to name it my album of the month, we'll see.

Jun 9, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #42,744 of 136,663
Quote:
I've heard Sunbather twice. Honestly don't know what to think of it. If it hadn't gotten positive buzz on the Internet I probably wouldn't have ever paid any attention to it, or listened to it for more than a few minutes. I'm going to listen to it for a third time today at some point. I might get the album on CD regardless of how I feel after the third listening session, for this might be an album that needs to be heard through speakers in CD-quality. Then again, perhaps I simply won't. Time will tell.

I'm interest to hear Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! on vinyl once my turntable finally arrives. Given that each song is one full side of an LP, vinyl seems like the optimal/intended format for that album.

It's definitely an acquired taste for sure.  However, I too believe I wouldn't have paid attention to it without the internet buzz.  Maybe third time's the charm?  Amazon isn't asking much for it, so it might be worth it.

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! is so good.  I ended up listening to the whole album today and I am at a total lost of words.  I will definitely be ordering it on CD since I don't have a turntable yet.  Ah, I can only imagine how it will be on vinyl.  It's going to be a long listen for roughly 20-30 minutes a track.  Still, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :)

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #42,745 of 136,663
I've never seen video footage of Hiromi, so this was great. I'm not surprised she is as lively a person as her music. I need to acquire more of her albums

There is a great DVD that i bought about a year about a half ago - http://www.amazon.com/Hiromis-Sonicbloom-Live-Concert-Hiromi/dp/B001Y8WB22/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1370772784&sr=1-2&keywords=hiromi+uehara

the gig is an astounding performance. Their is also another one she put out with the trio but its not nearly as good - http://www.amazon.com/Hiromi-Live-Concert-Uehara/dp/B001Y8WB0Y/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1370772922&sr=1-3&keywords=hiromi+uehara

And also a sole performance on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vf9boOR1KXA  - youtube soes sound like muck though

1. TJ Elite

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #42,746 of 136,663
Hungover spelling mistakes!

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #42,747 of 136,663
Quote:
It's definitely an acquired taste for sure.  However, I too believe I wouldn't have paid attention to it without the internet buzz.  Maybe third time's the charm?  Amazon isn't asking much for it, so it might be worth it.

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! is so good.  I ended up listening to the whole album today and I am at a total lost of words.  I will definitely be ordering it on CD since I don't have a turntable yet.  Ah, I can only imagine how it will be on vinyl.  It's going to be a long listen for roughly 20-30 minutes a track.  Still, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! :)

I decided to plug my Genelec 6010As to my MacBook Pro for my third time through Sunbather. It is definitely an album that works better for me on speakers. The album did open to me a bit more, but I still don't know what to think of it as a whole. All I can say is that Vertigo is a masterpiece of a track and I'll definitely be getting the album just for it alone.

Small edit before I click "submit": I actually really like The Pecan Tree as well. Seems like the second half is much easier for me to absorb than the first. I'm starting to wonder if this album would be a worthy purchase on vinyl as well…

Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! is probably one of my current favorite albums of all time. It has been since I heard it for the first time a few years back. Every Godspeed You! Black Emperor song is such an immersive journey into sound and they have certainly mastered the art of slowly building a song over time, then utterly blowing one's mind and gently guiding you toward a state of serenity. …Just to take you on a new journey with their next track.

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #42,749 of 136,663
Quote:
I decided to plug my Genelec 6010As to my MacBook Pro for my third time through Sunbather. It is definitely an album that works better for me on speakers. The album did open to me a bit more, but I still don't know what to think of it as a whole. All I can say is that Vertigo is a masterpiece of a track and I'll definitely be getting the album just for it alone.

Small edit before I click "submit": I actually really like The Pecan Tree as well. Seems like the second half is much easier for me to absorb than the first. I'm starting to wonder if this album would be a worthy purchase on vinyl as well…

Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! is probably one of my current favorite albums of all time. It has been since I heard it for the first time a few years back. Every Godspeed You! Black Emperor song is such an immersive journey into sound and they have certainly mastered the art of slowly building a song over time, then utterly blowing one's mind and gently guiding you toward a state of serenity. …Just to take you on a new journey with their next track.

Aha, so third time is a charm (on speakers that is lol).  I'll have to try it on speakers myself when I get my copy.  I agree with Vertigo being such a work of art and perhaps of 'the' favorite of mine in the album as well.  Please Remember is also another quick favorite of mine that I can't simply change tracks when listening to.  I would still try the CD first just to make sure you will thoroughly enjoy it before getting the vinyl. Still I could see this being only better on vinyl.

Hmm, I couldn't have said it better. :)  Is most of their work purely instrumental? When I first heard their name, I truly expected something in the Metal category of music.  Still I think having these amazing ambient rock albums are pure bliss, and I can't fathom the thought of Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! being even more good.  If I had to describe it in one word, it's mesmerizing.

Jun 9, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #42,750 of 136,663
Lateralus by tool.

This now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0L7fOPMqS8
Was listening to demons fate by within temptation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back