What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #39,991 of 136,022

on the Q701

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #39,992 of 136,022
Quote:

Haven't heard this in a while. I can't wait until I get a loudspeaker hi-fi setup so I can enjoy this even more. :)

I watched the video when I woke up this morning. As a result the song has been playing in my head throughout the day. (That's a good thing.)

Went for a walk again. Here's what shuffle had in store for me this time.

himawari feat. Hatsune MikuWorld of Musical - 夜明け前のシンフォニー (The Symphony in Front of Dawn)
WilcoYankee Hotel Foxtrot - Radio Cure
Alice ColtraneJourney in Satchidananda - Isis and Osiris
NeurosisThrough Silver in Blood - Strength of Fates
Hank MobleySoul Station - Split Feelin's
Hilary Hahn, Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra & Vasily PetrenkoHigdon & Tchaikovsky: Violin Concertos - Higdon: 2. Chaconni
Ma5hariaMelange EP - Melange (Andrethuo Remix)
AETA(イータ) feat. Hatsune MikuSinker-Songwriter - Sinker-Songwriter

The AETA song was just perfect for my Sunday.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #39,994 of 136,022

Lana del Rey - Born to Die

Lana Del Rey is a femme fatale with a smoky voice, a languorous image, and a modeling contract. Not coincidentally, she didn't lack for attention leading up to the release of her Interscope debut, Born to Die. The hype began in mid-2011 with a stunning song and video for "Video Games," and it kept on rising, right up to her January 2012 performance on Saturday Night Live (making her the first artist since Natalie Imbruglia in 1998 to perform on SNL without an album available). Although it's easy to see the reasons why Del Rey got her contract, it's also easy to hear: her songwriting skills and her bewitching voice. "Video Games" is a beautiful song, calling to mind Fiona Apple and Anna Calvi as she recounts another variation on the age-old trope of female-as-sex-object. Her vacant, tired reading of the song rescues it from any hint of exploitation, making it a winner. (edited ;D ) All the songs are amazing!.

allmusic.com :)

Enigma - The Platinum Collection

Platinum Collection is a triple-disc set that contains one disc of Enigma’s greatest hits, one disc of remixes, and one disc of “The Lost Ones,” brief instrumental snippets that were used as source material and ideas for full-length tracks. Naturally, this last disc is what’s interesting for the hardcore fan which, unlike the rest, consists of unreleased material -- but even the hardcore may find this slightly ephemeral; after all, these were designed as something like work tapes, not for release. The rest of the set is a good overview of basics, but it’s still unclear exactly who this is for, as this recycles too much for the hardcore, and it’s too lengthy for the casual fan. <--- (Edited ;D ) 'casual fan': A.K.A. The guy who only has 10 Cd's as his whole musical collection in the car xD.

allmusic.com :)

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #39,995 of 136,022
Quote:
I watched the video when I woke up this morning. As a result the song has been playing in my head throughout the day. (That's a good thing.)

Of course!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

So I just heard these guys today and this is perhaps the tenth time already playing this song. I FREAKING LOVE IT!!!! I've heard some of their other stuff and I am hooked, I need their music!!! Pure electronic bliss!!!!!

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #40,000 of 136,022
Listening to Ane Brun "Sketches" after learning about her in this thread. Beautiful music!

Mar 3, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #40,001 of 136,022
Quote:
Who is the Brahms pianoplayer, any good?

Since this is like a complete collection it includes various keyboard works (both piano and organ). But I would say all of the performers are very good- immaculate articulation, expressive dynamics, and its well recorded. There's Tamas Vasary, Wilhelm Kempff, Peter Planyavsky among many others.

Mar 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #40,002 of 136,022

I just ripped it to my laptop and decided to listen through from the beginning. Having only heard one song off of it before now (I Knew You Were Trouble), I'm actually impressed with what I'm hearing. It's not what I normally listen to but it's still pretty good.

Mar 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #40,005 of 136,022
There's no easy (and by easy I mean no way without a ton of work) to rip DSD. Chances are your DAC isn't capable of playing those files back anyway. 

That disc is a hybrid so it has a Red Book (16/44.1) layer that will play in regular CDPs and that's the layer your PC will rip as well. 

I tend to buy SACDs when possible even though I have no SACDP anymore due to the fact that the Red Book layers of SACDs tends to be better than most other masters.

Basically, you made a good purchase even if you have no SACD player.

Quote:
A pretty fantastic album in my opinion. I when I got this, I didn't realise it was a SACD. This is the first SACD I've heard before. Does anyone know how to rip it (i.e. SACD quality if that exists), or does it rip just like a standard CD? I don't have a SACD player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back