What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 2, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #39,961 of 136,034
It's A Beautiful Day - self titled
(1969, Columbia)   1985 issue on the San Francisco Sound label

Bill Evans - The Tokyo Concert
(1973, Fantasy)

Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
(1973, Atlantic)  STERLING RL in the deadwax; mastering by Robert Ludwig at Sterling Sound\

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #39,964 of 136,034

My Bloody Valentine - m b v

My copy of the CD finally came in the mail. I think I'll give it a spin and see what my B&Ws think of it.
I've listened to this, multiple times a day, every day, since it dropped 4 weeks ago. Bought mp3/cd/LP at first, then bought the 24 bit 96khz files. It really is brilliant. My D602s like them as well.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #39,965 of 136,034
41Y%2BY1BF8LL._SY300_.jpg

I'm feeling the doom today.

If you read the metal blogs, 2012 was reportedly a banner year in "doom" one of my favorite genres....but, I can' t listen to it all day, or I start seeing cross eyed.

Last year Evoken and Bereft renewed my interest.

I decided to try on "funeral doom" for size. Yes, it is an acquired taste.

That said Despond by the band Loss is worth your time if you like Doom. Surprising variety, some clean vocals some beautiful patches of acoustic guitar...kind of "Opeth" like in spots. This is a really good Doom album. Be forewarned the vocals are very gutteral as is the style in FD.

And, going back to 2010:

61%2BXsYUg9UL._SX300_.jpg

Vintage 70s inspired sludgy, trippy psychedelic stoned out doom....I really like this album. I hear Mastodon, Kyuss, Black Sabbath, Motor Head  and, yes- Pink floyd. Heavy, base centric and psychedelic.

In other words-my cup of tea! Or, another substance.

If you like stoner and doom and haven't heard Zoroster-definitely worth your time.

Mar 2, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #39,966 of 136,034
pantha du prince bell laboratory

Nice but the novelty soon wears off... Still enjoyable though

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #39,968 of 136,034
Wonderful music from one of my favorite movies:

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #39,969 of 136,034

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #39,972 of 136,034

The Neon Judgement - A Man Ain't No Man When A Man Ain't Got No Horse, Man...

One of the quietly prolific industrial rock acts of the 80's and even beyond. Always something strange and amusing, even haunting at times, the Neon Judgement create a landscape that never quite feeds a certain aesthetic. This e.p. proves that straight out. The gothy tick tock of "Chinese Black" to a dirgy "I'm Half", the shrill thump of "Kid Shyleen" with Davo's groaning at one of his best! And who could forget the ditty, "Wand'rin' Star"! One of those I never forget.

spahnrancher @ discogs.com :)

Front 242 - Up Evil

The first of two releases for Front 242 in 1993, 06:21:03:11 Up Evil (aka ***** Up Evil) found the foursome rebounding from the somewhat sterile Tyranny (For You) with a varied, vicious assault. Incorporating guitar noise more readily than ever before, but most often chopped up and heavily treated for the band's own particular purposes, 06:21:03:11 Up Evil contains some of the band's most virulent, explosive songs. All titles are one-word long, simple, and straightforward, with names like "Flag," "Mutilate," and "Crapage." There's almost a straight-up rock feel to a number of tracks as well, as the drumming on "Waste" and the quite anthemic "Melt" shows. It's hardly Front 242's grunge move, though -- Jean-Luc de Meyer and the generally little-heard Richard 23 may have a more openly emotional rasp and rage in their voices, especially de Meyer, but the relentless beat of industrial/electronic body music lives on. Leadoff single "Religion" continues the group's winning vein on that front, feedback roars and a huge beat setting an edgy pace before a body slam of a chorus kicks in, de Meyer raging over the top, "Let me burn you down!" The winning secret of the album is that a fair number of songs also demonstrate a careful subtlety, as with the sly mood-setting of "Skin," with its chopped-up electro/hip-hop beats providing the propulsion behind desperate whispers and ominous synth buzzes. The immediately following "Motion" provides an even more upfront blend of styles, with a quiet start and gentle singing suddenly shifting into a pounding call-to-arms percussion attack, all while de Meyer chants, "progress, progress!" again and again. Other successes in this vein include the strange prettiness of "Stratoscape," featuring a low, purring bassline and crisp beats offset against soft keyboard sparkles and chimes, and "Fuel," which includes minimal ambient buzz, more upfront dance/beat chaos, and varying combinations of the two.

allmusic.com :)

Front 242 - Tyranny For You

What should have been an amped-up consolidation of the group's considerable strengths, coming off the blazingly brilliant Front by Front album, instead was a sometimes successful but sometimes repetitive effort. As a major label debut, Tyranny (For You) shows no sign of compromise for greater airplay -- it's Front 242 straight up, powerful, pounding, and following its own muse. It's just not quite as spot-for-spot successful as Front by Front, though technically the group sound even more comfortable with sampling and the art of atmospherics. Where it falls apart is the relentless one-note nature of the experience, with only the occasional variety in the beats per minute on tracks. Front 242 shouldn't be sounding like uninspired imitators who have only the one idea, but more than once songs like "Trigger 2" seem to be just that. The high points of Tyranny, though, are stunners. With the cinematic, slow groove of "Sacrifice" leading things off -- a wonderful, threatening start, heightened by compressed orchestral samples and the heavy echo and low whispers of de Meyer and 23 -- the group collectively pour it on for "Rhythm of Time," a great, charging single. Even more compelling is the sheer mania of "Tragedy (For You)," the leadoff single from the album as a whole, starting with a quick collage of random sounds before settling into the aggressive, nervous bassline. De Meyer's straightforward delivery of the cryptic lyrics, notably about the only time on Tyranny that he's quite so noticeable and upfront, immeasurably adds to the track's power, with 23 topping things off on the choruses. Another winner is "Neurobashing," one of the band's best instrumentals, with yells and crowd chants turned into a mesmerizing call-and-response exchange over an absolutely nonstop beat.

Muzsikas & Marta Sebestyén - The Prisoners Song

A dark and powerful statement of life in a Cold War climate is explored through traditional Hungarian songs and instruments. Marta Sebestyen's amazingly evocative voice connects with the medieval sound of the hurdy gurdy and the sting of Mihaly Sipos's Gypsy violin.

Florence +  The Machine - Ceremonials

There’s a point just past the halfway mark on “Shake It Out,” the rousing first single from Florence + the Machine's second studio release, when the swelling guitars, organs, and strings, staccato percussion, and Florence Welch's air-raid siren of a voice lock up in a herculean battle over which one is going to launch itself into the stratosphere first. It’s a contest that plays out at least once on each of Ceremonials' immaculately produced 12 tracks. Such carefully calculated moments of rhapsody would dissolve into redundant treacle in less capable hands, but Welch does emotional bombast better than any of her contemporaries, and when she wails into the black abyss above, the listener can’t help but return the call. Bigger and bolder than 2009’s excellent Lungs, Ceremonials rolls in like fog over the Thames, doling out a heavy-handed mix of Brit-pop-infused neo-soul anthems and lush, movie trailer-ready ballads that fuse the bluesy, electro-despair of Adele with the ornate, gothic melodrama of Kate Bush and Floodland-era Sisters of Mercy.

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #39,973 of 136,034

Pictures at an Exhibition - Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra on SACD

This is an incredible recording, easily one of the greatest recordings of all time. Every audiophile must hear this recording at least once, even if you don't like classical music. My favorite recording of "Pictures at an Exhibition," (the orchestrated version) by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back