What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Jun 1, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #33,092 of 136,203
Quote:
51KebZdaqpL._SS500_.jpg

^ LOVE this album!

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #33,095 of 136,203
Quote:

Hey Redcarmoose, I picked up The Essential Ozzy today, and you are right it does sound pretty good. It's "loud", but not too unruly. That's why I have always been weary of the "Essential" albums, dubious mastering. It's good to listen to some of the early Zakk Wylde stuff, I haven't listened to some of these tracks in over 20 years or more. The first Ozzy/Zakk album I bought was "Just Say Ozzy" and listening to these tracks again I am going to have to hunt it down again along with "No More Tears" When I have a bit more money I would like to pick up the original Jet pressings of Ozzy's first two CDs, apparently that's where it's at for SQ. Anyway, I am rambling. Here's what I have on deck for the evening:

Yes, again is another strange coincidence as I"m at the 50% mark in Ozzys book. I maybe don't have the vinyl as reference for many of those songs so I'm no expert, just like the CD, hope you do to. Finding the Jets of Diary and Blizzard should be the way to go, I read they changed out the drums on the remastered of one of those, have not got to that place in his book yet, I was told he writes about it. I have the original vinyl on those which sounds good enough for me. What I am more into really is the early Sabbath records. Love the 2000 Castle reissues and I'm always finding a great CD here and there or a file somewhere that sounds great. I purchased the Randy Roads CD which is great. The first RR Tribute I had was on cassette HAHA. I love this stuff! I never get tired of what I played in high school! 

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #33,096 of 136,203
Found this quote someplace:
Epic issued the new versions of the album in April of 2002 as "remastered" editions; however they failed to mention on the cover that the bass tracks of Bob Daisley and drum tracks of Lee Kerslake had been removed and rerecorded by Ozzy's then drummer and bass player, Robert Trujillo and Mike Bordin.

Why do they do stuff like this? To avoid paying royalties? I had the original Jet vinyl of Blizzard, Diary, and Tribute. Blizzard, in IMHO, could use some light remastering to open it up a little as it sounds a little congested, but the original Diary is perfect. Tribute blew my mind as I was almost obsessed with Randy Rhoads's playing in my teens, although I preferred the version of Mr. Crowley off the live EP a little more. 
Quote:
I read they changed out the drums on the remastered...

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #33,101 of 136,203

Users who are viewing this thread

Back