What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 21, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #22,833 of 136,073
 The Lynne Arriale Trio, It don't mean a thing from the Album Inspiration.

Lyle Lovett, Empty blues shoes from the album, Natural Forces.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #22,834 of 136,073
Peter Van Hoesen - Variable Parts EP

He's giving it away in lossless right now. Love the use of the Ba Gua for the EP covers!

Dec 21, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #22,835 of 136,073

Quote:
I was listening to NIN - With Teeth. Then I thought something sounded "off". I checked the bit rate. 
Yep, 192kbps for my pre $$$ spent days. I find it sad that I can hear that subtle of a difference. 

Reminds me of my experience after the last upgrade of my Hi-Fi home set-up, the speakers for my Onkyo Intec 205 series separate components, the D-152E. Before acquiring those I was still using the old 1990's JVC Lo-Fi speakers that came with the previous set-up, and 256kbps Atrac3+ Hi-SP sounded fine to me; I was happy with using Standard MiniDiscs instead of Hi-MD MiniDiscs, since there was enough room on those reformatted in Hi-MD Mode for Hi-SP.

Then, while I was listening to my at the time recently acquired box set of Radiohead's In Rainbows, I also found something to sound slightly off. Checked with the original CD, a Hi-MD MiniDisc recorded in 1411kbps PCM and the Standard MiniDisc in 256kbps Hi-SP. Also recorded a MiniDisc in 352kbps Hi-SP for full measure.
Well, guess what: only the 1411kbps PCM on either the Hi-MD or the original CD gave the full sound, three-dimensional imaging that was originally recorded by the band. It wasn't in any way distorted in Hi-SP, just lacked the presence that PCM had.

So I sold all my Standard MiniDiscs, even the patiently acquired collector editions with fancy designs, and only bought the 1GB Hi-MD MiniDiscs from then on, since 28 minutes of PCM on a Standard MiniDisc wasn't acceptable.

But since the prices of those Hi-MD MiniDiscs have been getting higher and higher, and have discovered the ease of use of an iPod with my girlfriend's 5.5G, I have been looking into the iMod & DIYMod solutions, as unmodified, the SQ of the iPod is another unacceptable situation.

I hope to have my 5.5G DIYFlashMod ready soon :) .

Now back on topic, I've finally dug out Miles Davis' Bitches Brew and am spinning that.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #22,845 of 136,073

Rip Slyme - Forest (feat. Hirotaka Mori) - Tokyo Classic

Teriaki Boyz feat. Pharrell & Busta Rhymes - Zock On (DJ Deckstream Remix) 

Rhymester - B-Boyism 

DJ Krush - Transitions & Deck-athron with DJ Tatsuki - Jaku

Tha Blue Herb - Life Story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back