What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Dec 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #22,546 of 136,224

Review

by Matthew Greenwald
Often cited as the ultimate Tim Buckley statement, Goodbye and Hello is indeed a fabulous album, but it's merely one side of Tim Buckley's enormous talent. Recorded in the middle of 1967 (in the afterglow of Sgt. Pepper), this album is clearly inspired by Pepper's exploratory spirit. More often than not, this helps to bring Buckley's awesome musical vision home, but occasionally falters. Not that the album is overrated (it's not), it's just that it is only one side of Buckley. The finest songs on the album were written by him alone, particularly "Once I Was" and "Pleasant Street." Buoyed by Jerry Yester's excellent production, these tracks are easily among the finest example of Buckley's psychedelic/folk vision. A few tracks, namely the title cut and "No Man Can Find the War," were co-written by poet Larry Beckett. While Beckett's lyrics are undoubtedly literate and evocative, they occasionally tend to be too heavy-handed for Buckley. However, this is a minor criticism of an excellent and revolutionary album that was a quantum leap for both Tim Buckley and the audience.

Tracks

Title Composer Time
  1 No Man Can Find the War Beckett, Buckley 2:58
    2 Carnival Song Buckley 3:10
  3 Pleasant Street Buckley 5:15
  4 Hallucinations Beckett, Buckley, Powell 4:55
check.gif
5 I Never Asked to Be Your Mountain Buckley 6:02
    6 Once I Was Buckley 3:22
  7 Phantasmagoria in Two Buckley 3:29
    8 Knight-Errant Beckett, Buckley 2:00
check.gif
9 Goodbye and Hello Beckett, Buckley 8:38
  10 Morning Glory Beckett, Buckley 2:52

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #22,547 of 136,224
Drive-By Truckers ~ The Thanksgiving Filter/Used To Be A Cop

10" 45 single from Record Store Day

Both songs are from the upcoming full length release Go-Go Boots

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #22,550 of 136,224
A massive collection of Mash-Ups that I have.

1. Beatles vs. Depeche Mode – Silent Eleanor (V2)
  2. 2Pac vs. Phil Collins – Staring At The Air Tonight Through My Rearview
  3. 2Pac vs. Bruce Hornsby – Changes 2004
  4. Depeche Mode vs. Eminem – Precious Soldier
  5. D12 vs. The Cars – Driving With a 40 oz.
  6. De La Soul vs. Cheers & War – Oooh Cheers
  7. Party Ben – Galvanize the Empire
  8. DJ Zebra – Initials B(eastie) B(oys) (Beastie Boys)
  9. Party Ben – Promiscuous With You
  10. DJ Riko – Too Hot to Give it Up (UFO vs Marvin Gaye)

Dec 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #22,551 of 136,224
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun by Frank Klepacki

I'm not an avid video gamer at all; I have WarCraft III installed on my computer and I can't remember which calendar was in use the last time I fired it up. But Frank Klepacki, an 'neo-industrial/funk-rock' video game score composer has done some of the coolest.... electro-ambient-funkdustrial (I know, I'm making up stuff here)... music I have heard in some time. And his Tiberian Sun score is awesome.

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #22,556 of 136,224
The Band

""It was as though psychedelia, and the so-called British Invasion, had never happened; the group played and sang like five distinct individuals working toward the same goal, not mixing together smoothly. There was a collective sound to "the band," but it made up five distinct individual voices and instruments mixing folk, blues, gospel, R&B, classical, and rock & roll.""

Dec 6, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #22,558 of 136,224

Quote:
The Band

""It was as though psychedelia, and the so-called British Invasion, had never happened; the group played and sang like five distinct individuals working toward the same goal, not mixing together smoothly. There was a collective sound to "the band," but it made up five distinct individual voices and instruments mixing folk, blues, gospel, R&B, classical, and rock & roll.""

Yes.

I can't think of a 'rock' album that's aged better - or still makes as much sense - as this one. It's a perfect record, without being precious.

As for me, I'm reading Will Friedwald's new book:

This is my book of 2010. In the first place I'm a sucker for books of lists, surveys, encyclopedia-style entries, which this is. It is primarily about jazz singers and people who work the Great American Songbook, so you'll read about Michael Buble and Steve and Eydie, and if you're like me, you may be surprised to find common ground with them.

But Friedwald also fits Dylan and Hank Williams into the mix, which expands the scope of the book dramatically.

Moreover, Friedwald is that great music writer who makes you want to listen more and listen better. Reading the Biographical Guide I have already found half a dozen albums I want to hear soon, and have been sent back to my own collection for at least that many.

So with that in mind, I'm listening to:

'The Very Best of Julie London.' Not the greatest singer, and really not a great voice at all. But she's one of those singers who is easy to spend time with. She knows how to be simple and how to be quiet.

Also, lots of radio and quasi-radio like Pandora and last f.m. and Slacker. If I can get myself together enough, I'd like to sample the big online radio sources and report back on what headphones work best for that kind of listening.

s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back