Dec 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #22,567 of 136,424
the flying burrito brothers-gilded palace of sin

Dec 7, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #22,573 of 136,424

"Greatest Hits...So Far!!!" - Pink

Dec 7, 2010 at 6:40 AM Post #22,574 of 136,424

Quote:

Quote:
The Band

""It was as though psychedelia, and the so-called British Invasion, had never happened; the group played and sang like five distinct individuals working toward the same goal, not mixing together smoothly. There was a collective sound to "the band," but it made up five distinct individual voices and instruments mixing folk, blues, gospel, R&B, classical, and rock & roll.""

Yes.

I can't think of a 'rock' album that's aged better - or still makes as much sense - as this one. It's a perfect record, without being precious.

As for me, I'm reading Will Friedwald's new book:

This is my book of 2010. In the first place I'm a sucker for books of lists, surveys, encyclopedia-style entries, which this is. It is primarily about jazz singers and people who work the Great American Songbook, so you'll read about Michael Buble and Steve and Eydie, and if you're like me, you may be surprised to find common ground with them.

But Friedwald also fits Dylan and Hank Williams into the mix, which expands the scope of the book dramatically.

Moreover, Friedwald is that great music writer who makes you want to listen more and listen better. Reading the Biographical Guide I have already found half a dozen albums I want to hear soon, and have been sent back to my own collection for at least that many.

So with that in mind, I'm listening to:

'The Very Best of Julie London.' Not the greatest singer, and really not a great voice at all. But she's one of those singers who is easy to spend time with. She knows how to be simple and how to be quiet.

Also, lots of radio and quasi-radio like Pandora and last f.m. and Slacker. If I can get myself together enough, I'd like to sample the big online radio sources and report back on what headphones work best for that kind of listening.

s.

seems i would enjoy the read , i will try to locate "bio guide".

right now listening to :

mitty collier / shades of genius

Users who are viewing this thread

Back