What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Nov 20, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #22,216 of 136,050
Jimi Hendrix ~ West Coast Seattle Boy

Side One of Album 3 at the moment...

These were cut by Ray Janos at Sterling Sound
and sound fantastic.

Nov 20, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #22,217 of 136,050
The new Cee Lo Green album: The Lady Killer. Fantastic album and really sounds great on the MD Tributes.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #22,221 of 136,050
" Caution Horses "

Cowboy Junkies

Nov 21, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #22,226 of 136,050
I just finished listening to King Crimson's album "Lizard". It is a strange album but it is hard to explain why. That is it really...

Set up: CD690 + K240 DF

Update: King Crimson's album "Islands" is now playing, the album just started. This album sounds country/folky/jazzy and almost pop at the moment... Oh wel, I only just began listening.

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #22,229 of 136,050
Ale storm-Nancy the tavern wench.

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #22,230 of 136,050

Quote:
I just finished listening to King Crimson's album "Lizard". It is a strange album but it is hard to explain why. That is it really...

Set up: CD690 + K240 DF

Strange band. I feel about KC the way I do about the Dead - I'm 51/49 most of the time, the things I like just *barely* outweighing the stuff I don't like. But somehow I've managed to accumulate a dozen or more KC albums along the way, and recently bought 'In The Court Of...' for the third or fourth time, this time for the alternate album and the promo stuff, along with yet another copy of the surround mixes and the 2004 remix.

<sigh>

So I keep listening, but...I think they're one of those bands that's always just the wrong side of being really satisfying, and I keep going back to the well hoping this time it'll be different.

Speaking of KC, I'm listening to:

'Fear Of A Blank Planet' - Porcupine Tree

I bought this on spec because I decided to read a book about progressive metal, a subject I know nothing about. I gotta stop trying to stretch (see the rest of this mess); this is pretty disconnected from what I come to music for, though it seems like S. Wilson was trying for a pink Floydish 'The Wall' kind of thing.

Anyway, well played, but not music for grown ups, (or at least old farts).

And now for something completely different:

By rights I should love both of these - I'm deep in classic soul and like a fair amount of rap, and The Roots is a smart band. So why does their music leave me feeling like I've been eating junk food?

This guy is hugely talented, but it's beyond him now - even material that's been worked over, like 'Recovery,' sounds like he's trapped.

So my pushback at my limitations was pretty much a fail. But it gets worse...

Chucho Valdez is my home turf - jazz, for the most part. 'Chucho's Steps' brings together a group of good players, and the music is carefully put together. But it's also shallow - the Joe Zawinul tribute is strung together themes from Zawinul's greatest hits, the rest is not much better. Empty bombast, and a cousin to prog, sorta.

So I give up. I'm watchin' the ball game tonight.

s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back