What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Feb 23, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #10,126 of 136,182
dig-lazarus.jpg

Feb 24, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #10,134 of 136,182
[size=large]Artist: Kevin Max
Album: The Blood[/size]

image_122.jpg

I'm not Christian (aka "Xtian").

But don't let that mortify you if you happen to lean towards such belief.

wink.gif

I was certainly raised Xtian and both of my parents are ...

But my own life's path and experiences have taught me to respect all (generally postive) religions and that they are all soldiering towards the same end: A Postive and Worthwhile Explanation for Our Being, if but Briefly, Alive(tm).

That said ... and myself exposed for the Pagan(tm) that I am ...

I have to say that Kevin Max's release, "The Blood" ... is the second best release from any artist/band calling themselves deriven from and devoted to Xtian messaging ...

Again ... don't hate till you investigate. This isn't a religious post ... it's meant to get you interested in this songwriter's works because they are truly Divine(tm).

wink.gif

Typically, I can't STAND *anything* even remotely associated with Christian rock/song writers ... just comes across lame and poser-like ...

Not so with Kevin Max (or 16 Horsepower for that matter) ... !!

This guy (though new to me) has an immediately discernable sense of musical pace and instrumentation that only great song writers have/are born with/have mastered/or however they come by it ...

Think Ryan Adams (of The Cardinals fame) ... think Antony (of the And The Johnson's fame) ...

They're just on it ... owning it and creating some rare works ...

And this is def the case with Kevin Max ... at least with this particular album (I've not heard any others of his) ...

He's Owning(tm) each track for sure.

Of special note, since I am a huge fan of early American "Negro Spirituals" ... is his bit entitled, "Troubles of the World" ... which smacks (and in fact mimics) many of the chorus lines from one of my all-time fav Negro Spiritual songs, "Soon-A Will Be Done" ...

I've sung that mentioned bit countless times with some local choral group friends of mine and Mr. Max does it very much lovely justice with his positively heart-felt refrain of, "Soon I will be done, troubles of this world, ... No more weeping and wailing" ....

Across the board, from his very well composed tenor adaption and his lovely and raw and natural vocal vibrato ... (not to mention the insanely raw and loose guitar work, throughout) ... this is a stellar release to have in your library.

No matter your particular spiritual leanings.

wink.gif

BTW: I mentioned 16 Horsepower, above, for a very specific reason ...

Do check them out too (also known as "Woven Hand" or "David Eugene Edwards"

Best!

smile_phones.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #10,138 of 136,182
Spyro Gyra - Good To Go-Go
Special EFX - Global Village
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back