What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Mar 30, 2024 at 4:59 PM Post #135,001 of 136,343
Uh... those are standard 16bit/44k CDs (the SACD has a standard Redbook layer for play on non-SACD players).

I have a few Hi-Res albums from HDTracks and others, and personally don't find them to sound any better than 44.1 CDs (unless the mastering of the CD itself is really bad).

I have this normal copy of Hiromi's Move CD (Telarc, 2012)...

And don't find the hi-res 24bit/192kHz files bought on HDTracks to sound any better...

If anything, I find the hi-res files sound too digital - having a bit of harshness around the edges compared to the CD. I find the same with my hi-res copies of Al Di Meola's Friday, and Saturday Night in San Franscisco releases....

I have the SACD version of Saturday Night, and it sounds far better than the hi-res edition, and this is the Redbook 2-channel layer as I don't have an SACD player.

I find in some files there's this edge harshness that makes them sound too digital for me. it's also why I don't buy them anymore. In fact, now, between the hi-res files, and CD, I'll always grab the CD. But that's me. YMMV :sunglasses:

Anyway, I've always been a physical media collector since the mid 70's, so....
Kid from the mid-60s here, got my first record player when I was 3 (a Dual, lol), father played double bass in a jazz combo and the craze started.

Couldn't agree more on that Hi-Res doesn't necessarily sound any 'better' than 16/44 redbook (and still prefer an mp3 of a good recording over 24/192 flacs of a cr..p production). There might be exceptions though but before I cough up any money on anything beyond 16/44 I try to make sure that's it worth the extra dough.

As to different versions of Bitches Brew, I just googled up some reviews ...
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/miles-davis-bitches-brew-best-sounding-cd.201033/
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/miles-davis-bitches-brew.147601/
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...-best-lp-cd-pressing-for-original-mix.107584/

Got a couple more albums on the bucket list and will report back where the money went.

Right now ...

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #135,002 of 136,343
Thank you. Same to you and yours :relaxed:

Realize this set isn't new. It's been around since 2010. That said, I may have been a bit premature in ordering as I was after the Complete sessions, and I've read this isn't it.

Anyway, the live disc is the first one I previewed, but my mind it pre-occupied so....
Ah! Yes, I've got the Complete Sessions CD boxes with the metal bindings for 'Bitches Brew' and 'Jack Johnson' - well worth seeking out; much of it is more mind-blowing than the finished result. I hope you're able to find it at a decent price....

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #135,003 of 136,343
Happy Easter to all of you!

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #135,004 of 136,343
Happy Easter to all…
A no Crusader album by Joe Sample - a taste of Creole!

Mar 30, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #135,007 of 136,343
Per Discogs there are over 198 editions of Bitches Brew. Allowing for duplicates from different countries, we can guesstimate that down to about 80 (or less).

With that, I'm nowhere interested in chasing them all down. I have the Mo-Fi SACD limited numbered edition for my top 5 Miles Davis albums in that category...

5 Miles Favorites.jpg

I'd already had the Blu-Spec edition from a batch of Blu-Spec CDs I bought. The Japanese Paper Sleeved edition (which I never play) came from a batch of Mile Davis paper sleeved CDs I found at store selling used CDs about 20 years ago. My Miles Collection (thus far) ...

Miles Davis Collection - Oct 2023.jpg

(and still prefer an mp3 of a good recording over 24/192 flacs of a cr..p production).
I myself have nothing good to say about mp3's other than they save a lot of drive space :smirk:

Mar 30, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #135,008 of 136,343
Jimi Hendrix Experience- Electric Ladyland
IMG_1573.jpeg

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin

IMG_3482.jpeg

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #135,009 of 136,343
Ah! Yes, I've got the Complete Sessions CD boxes with the metal bindings for 'Bitches Brew' and 'Jack Johnson' - well worth seeking out; much of it is more mind-blowing than the finished result. I hope you're able to find it at a decent price....
I had a chance to get the Complete Sessions of Bitches Brew with the metal binding back in 2022 from a local store, but I thought their $70 dollar asking price was a bit much, coupled with the fact I wasn't quite interested in it then. Looking back at it now, maybe I should have gotten it.

Haven't looked into the Jack Johnson, or In A Silent Way complete sessions as well. To be frank, I would only be getting those as more collectors than listening pleasure. And from that standpoint, that money could be used elsewhere.

Mar 31, 2024 at 4:54 AM Post #135,012 of 136,343

Mar 31, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #135,014 of 136,343
I myself have nothing good to say about mp3's other than they save a lot of drive space :smirk:
It's been a while since I did my last serious round of blind ABX'ing and AFAIR I didn't fare too well (age, the odd bout of Tinnitus from years of DJing, etc...) but OTOH I know what instruments are supposed to sound like (I'm surrounded by about a metric ton of them as I type and for some reason still prefer flac over compressed stuff anyway, playing it safe, etc...). So while the hearing took some hits over the years the enjoyment and gratitude for good vibes continues to deepen ... can't complain too much.

Spinning right now ... the last album they recorded on their two-track Revox(es) ... go figure.

81Obi5EKk5L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #135,015 of 136,343

Users who are viewing this thread

Back